Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 PM

370 posts, read 947,474 times

Advertisements

I was just noticing tonight that some Summerville homes on the market have drastically increased property tax amounts in 2009, like over 180% increase on two of them. One home had a tax bill of $1670 in 2008, but jumped to $4850 in 2010. That's just crazy. A Grand Oaks Plantation West Ashley home, in comparison, is less than 1/2 the cost in taxes, at the same asking price. We are renting for the moment, but were possibly looking to buy something in late summer/early fall. Are Summerville property taxes really that outrageous? If so, does anyone know why there was such a dramatic tax increase from 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Its possible they switched from the 4% owner occupied to the 6% standard rate. Also homes were gaining huge amounts of value through the first half of the 00's- operative word were.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 PM

435 posts, read 835,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
I was just noticing tonight that some Summerville homes on the market have drastically increased property tax amounts in 2009, like over 180% increase on two of them. One home had a tax bill of $1670 in 2008, but jumped to $4850 in 2010. That's just crazy. A Grand Oaks Plantation West Ashley home, in comparison, is less than 1/2 the cost in taxes, at the same asking price. We are renting for the moment, but were possibly looking to buy something in late summer/early fall. Are Summerville property taxes really that outrageous? If so, does anyone know why there was such a dramatic tax increase from 2008?
The house has to be a switch from primary resident to non-primary and a 4% to 6% assessment switch. SC property tax is very low around 0.5% of the value of the house if it is your primary residence.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 AM

139 posts, read 375,889 times
Call the county tax office...they will send you the paperwork to file for the 4% tax versus 6%.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
One thing is the reassesment happened in either 08 or 09, this happens ever 5 years, second those ones you pointed out may have like others have stated had a status change, our status changed without our knowing and the taxes nearly doubled until I filled out the correct paperwork to get it back to the lower tax rate.....

Taxes are not suppose to go up do to reassesment, but they usually do, they are suppose to lower the millage to compensate for the higher value to maintain a neutral revenue stream, but it is the government and while the people really do not pay much attention to what is going on they slip little things in like that....

Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,265 times
There are two factors involved in these price jumps, as I just found out from buying a house.

1. The houses must have jumped from the 4% to the 6% rate due to the owner no longer occupying them. The percentage change doesn't account for the drastic increase, however.
2. The second factor is that properties taxed at the 6% rate do not receive the School Tax Credit, which is a deduction from the property tax bill for school operational costs. You can view the tax bills to see what I'm talking about on the county assessor's web sites, they're public. This tax credit knocks a huge chunk off of the bill when taxed at the 4% rate.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 6,265 times
Excuse me, the County treasurer's web site. For Dorchester County, the page is Online Tax Search & Pay.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,430,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Its possible they switched from the 4% owner occupied to the 6% standard rate. Also homes were gaining huge amounts of value through the first half of the 00's- operative word were.
Yes I was going to say most likely they were assessed at the above 6% rate. taxes have not increase that much.

I didn't read all the posts but if your home is new construction..you are only taxed on the land the first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area