Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

There is a great subdivision off of Rifle Range in Mount Pleasant called Shellpoint -- Not many resales but a few lots for sale & a few houses are being built for speculation. There is another subdivision that I've seen -- it's called Watersedge -- it's off of the newest Hungry Neck Extension. Convenient to all kinds of things. A real mix of families, retirees, snowbirds...quiet, older homes, small -- only one way in. They do have some social activities but nothing too big. LOTS AND LOTS OF DOGS........(mind you dogs everywhere here). It is bigger than 50 homes but very quiet and friendly. What about a small home in old Mount Pleasant. Also there are little places off of Coleman Blvd....older homes and some newer homes. They may not have only once access but they aren't the subdivisions like Rivertowne or Brickyard. There are pockets of subdivisions in Mount Pleasant but you probably need a good agent to pinpoint exactly what you might like and in your price range.

And yes -- if no kids...I'd take a real close look at James Island and Johns Island -- I love those areas.....and if schools aren't an issue...I'd go with that route. AS for resale -- Charleston is already and is becoming more of a retirement community so there will always be a market for houses

Really think why you want to move to Charleston. Do you want to be 10 minutes from the beach, how much do you want the conveniences -- shopping, movie theater, do you want to go downtown often?

If you live 30 minutes out you aren't likely to make use of downtown as often, or you may not be able to go to the beach for a walk with your dog after dinner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM

222 posts, read 403,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is a great subdivision off of Rifle Range in Mount Pleasant called Shellpoint -- Not many resales but a few lots for sale & a few houses are being built for speculation. There is another subdivision that I've seen -- it's called Watersedge -- it's off of the newest Hungry Neck Extension. Convenient to all kinds of things. A real mix of families, retirees, snowbirds...quiet, older homes, small -- only one way in. They do have some social activities but nothing too big. LOTS AND LOTS OF DOGS........(mind you dogs everywhere here). It is bigger than 50 homes but very quiet and friendly. What about a small home in old Mount Pleasant. Also there are little places off of Coleman Blvd....older homes and some newer homes. They may not have only once access but they aren't the subdivisions like Rivertowne or Brickyard. There are pockets of subdivisions in Mount Pleasant but you probably need a good agent to pinpoint exactly what you might like and in your price range.

And yes -- if no kids...I'd take a real close look at James Island and Johns Island -- I love those areas.....and if schools aren't an issue...I'd go with that route. AS for resale -- Charleston is already and is becoming more of a retirement community so there will always be a market for houses

Really think why you want to move to Charleston. Do you want to be 10 minutes from the beach, how much do you want the conveniences -- shopping, movie theater, do you want to go downtown often?

If you live 30 minutes out you aren't likely to make use of downtown as often, or you may not be able to go to the beach for a walk with your dog after dinner...
Wow, thank you so much for the concise response.

We're home bodies... a nice home is all we need, really. The wife gets the itch to run down town, but 20-30 minutes drive is wholly acceptable to scratch that itch.

The wife isn't a fan of the beach. So a nice wooded trail or the asphalt of a low traffic neighborhood is best for us to walk the dog.

We want to move to Charleston because we love the food, the culture (we'll never leave the south), the style of the homes, the people (if the ones we've met are faking it, they're doing a damned good job), etc. And when I was 15, I spent a summer here and fell in love with the place... always knew I'd be back. Finally brought my wife and she's hooked as well.

No idea where we'll ultimately end up, but we found Darrell's Creek today, and WOW... amazing area. Truly perfect for us, but we're not going to stop looking. I know, Darrell's Creek exeeds the number of homes I mentioned I like to see in a single neighborhood, but they're spread out well enough that it doesn't feel even remotely crowded.

I'll try to put in some time with the places you mentioned and report back. Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
Darrell Creek/Commonwealth is great and I too love that neighborhood. have you considered anything off of Clements Ferry like St Thomas Point or Beresford HAll (although the HOA may be too strick for you). Also how about Awendaw it is very beautiful and rural but stil minutes to MT Pleasant and all the amenities.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
Darrell Creek/Commonwealth is great and I too love that neighborhood. have you considered anything off of Clements Ferry like St Thomas Point or Beresford HAll (although the HOA may be too strick for you). Also how about Awendaw it is very beautiful and rural but stil minutes to MT Pleasant and all the amenities.
I'm not sure where the other areas you mentioned are located. I assume further north of Darrell Creek on 17. We drove out there about 5 miles past the Sewee Outpost (into the state forrest before turning around), but we couldn't identify where the neighborhoods were off of 17. We found a few farms but nothing that looked residentia? From 17 while cruising at 60 mph.

Thanks again for the responses!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Saint Thomas Point and Beresford are off Clements Ferry (Berkley county but less than 2 minutes from Mount Pleasant). If you follow Hwy 41 North and take a left at the fork in the road (clements ferry) towards 526. You most likely would need a Realtor to show you the homes as some of these communities are gated. Sometimes the gates are open.

There aren't any specific neighborhoods just roads with homes tucked in.... kinda like Johns Island. Awendaw is just past Mount Pleasant going North on 17. You should see a Welcome sign.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks!

I looked up Beresford, and it looks like it's a little larger than I'm willing to live in. The sprawling master planned system with built in ameneties is a bit much for me. I'm fine with a Darrell Creek commute for how quiet it is. That and the awesome wildlife we ran into out there.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM

When I have been in Beresford showing property, I have seen wild turkey,deer and snakes! Lots of wild life here. I haven't looked lately but the I plan to someday live in the wild too! We love space.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
When I have been in Beresford showing property, I have seen wild turkey,deer and snakes! Lots of wild life here. I haven't looked lately but the I plan to someday live in the wild too! We love space.
I don't doubt it has wildlife, but it just appears to be a bit much for us when I looked at their website.

Full basket ball court
Pool
"The ruins" - plantation style community bldg.

A bit much for us, but I don't doubt it's a beautiful place.

Either way, we're at a point of just trying to figure out whether to buy or build. And whether to rent or sell our current home. We've got to get a lot of ducks in a row before we can move, and it will likely be a few months of us renting in CHS before we can put down some roots.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
This area is flush with new nurses just graduating from MUSC and Trident so there is an abundence of them......

She may have to work contract or traveling or even in home care for a while...
I could be wrong, but BSN's, MSN's, and/or those with experience/specialty in a specific field are in high demand inthe Charleston area versus RN's right out of a two year technical school program.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Yeah, my wife's an RN BSN with lots of experience, a specialty, and certifications not required in SC. From cursory glances at the websites for the hospitals, she's in demand.

I hope that proves to be the case when she starts applying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area