Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,256 times

Advertisements

My husband and I spent many months searching for a home here. From our experience, I really wouldn't say that Del Webb is typical of new construction areas. For example, The Ponds (new subdivision under construction in Summerville) is completely wooded....homes are being built on wooded lots. To be honest, we didn't see many new subdivisions being built that looked as "nuked" as Del Webb. Obviously, it depends on what is important to you as the buyer. We did not want an age-restricted neighborhood (ditto to PokrPlr's comment...) and we wanted mature landscaping and trees. We found the perfect house for us. (We close on 3/30!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

27 posts, read 131,038 times
Dear "Cavalier", Yes, there is a 25,000 sft Amenity Center. This facility is already undersized for the present number of residents. In 2009, the annunal meeting was held at the Amenity Center. In 2010, the annunal meeting was held at the Cane Bay Middle School because the Amenity Center was too small and in 2011, the annual meeting was held at Cane Bay High School because the Amenity Center and the Middle School could not accomodate the people or the parking. What do you think the Amenity Center will be able to accomodate at full build out??? The BOD has stated that they feel it is an adequate size and if more space is needed, it will be at the expense of the Association. By the way, the Association happens to be the residents!!! If you see signs of HOA dues steadily increasing.....you're right !!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM

180 posts, read 406,466 times
The Ponds is a nice subdivision, but it does not have a comprehensive community center. The YMCA is their selling point as a place for residents to go. Yes, the lots are beautiful and much nicer than than the ones at DWC. For us, empty-nesters, there would not be the same sense of community as DWC. Plus we like one-story houses without stairs and attached garages. The list goes on...

I am sure that you are excited, a nice area.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Obviously you have knowledge of DWC. Are you a resident? The Del Webb's we have visited all have a similar community center, with The Haven in Bluffton being the smallest (no indoor pool). None of them are very well-used at 50% build-out. Usually we see one person in the fitness center, maybe five-ten people around the outdoor pool, perhaps a swimmer in the indoor pool, no one using the crafts or meeting rooms. I am sure that there must be more activity outside of our visits. Even at 100% build-out I cannot imagine it being crowded.

The meetings you mention are large ones that require 800+ seating if everyone comes. (400 homes X 2 residents) At full build-out, it would be 2,000 seats. (1,000 homes X 2 residents) None of the community centers has a room large enough to hole all residents. A local high school auditorium makes for a better meeting anyway--I do this now in my present 700 home subdivision in Virginia.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Obviously you have knowledge of DWC. Are you a resident? The Del Webb's we have visited all have a similar community center, with The Haven in Bluffton being the smallest (no indoor pool). None of them are very well-used at 50% build-out. Usually we see one person in the fitness center, maybe five-ten people around the outdoor pool, perhaps a swimmer in the indoor pool, no one using the crafts or meeting rooms. I am sure that there must be more activity outside of our visits. Even at 100% build-out I cannot imagine it being crowded.

The meetings you mention are large ones that require 800+ seating if everyone comes. (400 homes X 2 residents) At full build-out, it would be 2,000 seats. (1,000 homes X 2 residents) None of the community centers has a room large enough to hole all residents. A local high school auditorium makes for a better meeting anyway--I do this now in my present 700 home subdivision in Virginia.
You are doing the right thing 'OldCavalier' by thoroughly researching the communities that interest you for your future home. However, may I caution you against blanket generalizations in an attempt to dismiss facts. Pay close attention; you have people who are trying to give you and others who are considering purchasing at DWC a "heads up".
By the way, the Ballroom at the Resort at DWC has a maximum seating capacity of 150 people. At full build out, that leaves 850 people standing outside the doors of the ballroom for any big event, i.e., New Year's annual party, Social Committee community events, etc. This is presuming there is only 1 resident per household and everyone knows that is never the case in any residential community.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Good points. We have looked at some new housing off US17 to Savannah, such as Cypress Bay. Nice, but typical neighborhood that caters to families & rugrats We live in one now that is actually nicer, but lacks a sense of community. Everyone does their own thing, plus works or is busy with little kids. The age-restricted subdivision has the greater appeal. It seems that Del Webb is the best known and offers the most for the money.

BTW, we have been coming to Charleston for over 20 years to see cousins, etc. Most of the tourist stuff we have seen including eating at many restaurants. Driving 25 miles is a pain, but doable

Old 03-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Good points. We have looked at some new housing off US17 to Savannah, such as Cypress Bay. Nice, but typical neighborhood that caters to families & rugrats We live in one now that is actually nicer, but lacks a sense of community. Everyone does their own thing, plus works or is busy with little kids. The age-restricted subdivision has the greater appeal. It seems that Del Webb is the best known and offers the most for the money.

BTW, we have been coming to Charleston for over 20 years to see cousins, etc. Most of the tourist stuff we have seen including eating at many restaurants. Driving 25 miles is a pain, but doable
It looks like you are pretty set on a 55+ (particularly Del Webb) community. Trust me when I tell you that a "sense of community" is not all that it is cracked up to be in an age restricted environment. Actually what it ends up being is a series of small 'clicks' that can make one feel quite excluded. Yes, these types of communities have some very nice people, but many are going through what appears to be a second childhood and act quite childish when it comes to including or segregating particularly new folks and others as well. Some of these circumstances actually have caused people to move out.
DWC could actually be a very nice community if it had more mature and experienced management.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Sorry that you are unhappy there. Assuming we move-in, I will say hello.

Remember that anytime people get together that clics develop--that is the nature of people. The US govt. has been trying very hard to eliminate clics from every part of our lives, except for the ones it likes. How is this any different than what happens in any community--groups develop, we all like some people better than others due to interest, personality and culture. It will never change as long as humans occupy the earth.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM

A good point. I will ask the salepeople next time how that is handled. However, those are very focused events and reservations probably need to be done as early as possible. The rest of the time the clubhouse does not appear crowded

Old 03-20-2011, 04:05 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times
It sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind about DW, but another possibility could be subdivisions that are not age restricted, but have just naturally matured to the point where they might as well be. I have no idea about subdivisions like that in the area you are looking for, but I bet someone on here could make suggestions. Where we live, Charleston National in Mount Pleasant, is a very mature subdivision. There are younger families, but the vast majority of the residents here seem to be at retirement age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area