Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 29,956 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a road trip to Charleston this September. We will be traveling with our 1 year old and are looking for things to do. We will be there for 3 days towards the end of the month. Any ideas on places to stay? Nothing too fancy because we will be out exploring the city and surrounding areas. Just a nice, clean, affordable place close to the center of activity. Also, we may be moving to the Charleston area permanently in 2 or 3 years. We are trying to get a feel for the area in 3 days time. I realize that is limited time, but can anyone suggest things to do? We are also huge foodies, so any restaurant recommendations would be great. Fresh seafood is hard to find here in Indy so we will be looking for a local seafood restaurant serving local fare. What kind of temps/humidity can we expect in late September? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,370 times
I'd suggest you head over to TripAdvisor. The destination experts have put together sample itineraries for 1-3 days. They are not shy about sharing their new favorite restaurants.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,052 times
Charleston Crab house on James Island......................

Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,428,678 times
September is (usually) still Beach weather so Beach for sure. Isle Of Palms is a little more family friendly (bathrooms and changing cabana's). I love Acme Cantina for lunch or dinner. Very good food and kid friendly.

Downtown: take a walk downtown and explore the the Market, Battery and King street. Another good spot for lunch is Fleet Landing. It's right on the water by Waterfront park. Not sure if your little one would be old enough to really enjoy but the Childrens Museum on ANN street is also a good two hours of entertainment especially for a toddler. Another of my favorite restaurants is also on ANN/King it's a local Thai place called Basil.

Charleston Towne Landing
(http://www.charlestowne.org/visitus.shtml - broken link) is a fun day. Pack a picnic, bug spray and bring your stroller.

Downtown Hotel Recommendations

Charleston Place Hotel 843-722-4900, Located on the Market, Shopping
Market Pavilion Hotel 843-723-0500, Located on the Market, Shopping
Two Meeting Street Inn 843-723-2322, The Battery, No Shopping, Views Ocean
Mills House 843-577-2400 Off of Meeting St., Shopping
Renaissance Charleston Hotel 843-534-0300, Off of King, Shopping
Francis Marion Hotel 843-722-0600, Upper King, Walk to Shopping
Doubletree Guest Suites 843-577-2644, Located on the Market, Shopping
French Quarter Inn 843-722-1900 Located on the Market, Shopping
Hampton Inn Historic 843-723-4000, Off of Meeting, Walk to Shopping

Last edited by beachme; 03-28-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Added hotel recommendations

Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 AM

222 posts, read 403,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post
September is (usually) still Beach weather so Beach for sure. Isle Of Palms is a little more family friendly (bathrooms and changing cabana's). I love Acme Cantina for lunch or dinner. Very good food and kid friendly.

Downtown: take a walk downtown and explore the the Market, Battery and King street. Another good spot for lunch is Fleet Landing. It's right on the water by Waterfront park. Not sure if your little one would be old enough to really enjoy but the Childrens Museum on ANN street is also a good two hours of entertainment especially for a toddler. Another of my favorite restaurants is also on ANN/King it's a local Thai place called Basil.

Charleston Towne Landing
(http://www.charlestowne.org/visitus.shtml - broken link) is a fun day. Pack a picnic, bug spray and bring your stroller.

-Great location, but skip it. I live in Hilton properties about 30-45 weeks a year, and this one is disappointing. Just because you call it historical doesn't mean you have an excuse to let it go.

The property itself could use some serious updating - especially in consideration of what they expect guests to pay per night. I wouldn't pay more than $110-130/night for this property, and that's only for the location.

If not for the location, this is a $79-89/night property (from the perspective of the rooms and interior of the hotel - hallways, business center, etc.).

The front desk staff were not very personable, although they were very accommodating when requests were made of them.

The valets left much to be desired. Valet commented on the sum of green in my wallet when I opened it to hand him the ticket and noted that he'd like to get his hands on it. I assured him he wasn't getting a penny after that. He probably beat the hell out of my rental car. /shrug

The house keeping staff was exceptional.

We stayed about 2 weeks ago. The property really needs some updating.

Can't speak for the other hotels on the list.

As for food:
Breakfast:
Poogan's Porch/Hominy (be prepared to wait).

Lunch (usually skipped it after the aforementioned breakfast):
Queen St. Cafe.
Jack's Cosmic Dogs (an experience... truly wonderful hot dogs).

Dinner:
Fig
82 Queen (She Crab Soup is divine, as is the toasted Brie appetizer), and the BBQ shrimp & grits.
Il Coritle del Re - Italian on King st. very similar to authentic Tuscan menus.

This is pretty much how our recent trip worked out, and we loved it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM

83 posts, read 224,512 times
Try looking here for ideas on itineraries:

Charleston Day Trips: Itineraries To and From the Holy City

The site also has info on things for kids:

Charleston For Kids: Things To Do For The Whole Family!

You can also search hotels by price or distance and includes details and reviews of each property:

Charleston Hotel Search: Reserve Your Charleston Lodging Here!

Good luck with your search and have fun!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVNCharleston View Post
Try looking here for ideas on itineraries:

Charleston Day Trips: Itineraries To and From the Holy City

The site also has info on things for kids:

Charleston For Kids: Things To Do For The Whole Family!

You can also search hotels by price or distance and includes details and reviews of each property:

Charleston Hotel Search: Reserve Your Charleston Lodging Here!

Good luck with your search and have fun!!!

It is against TOS to promote your own website.......

Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,591,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachme View Post

Charleston Towne Landing

I stayed at Charleston Place Hotel for 2 nights when I came down to interview for my job. I thought it was a bit pricey ($189 the first night and $249 the second night, which was a Friday). The walls were very thin. The first night was fine because there was no one in the room next to me. The second night there were 3 women in the room next to me. I felt like I was sitting in the room with them. I could hear every word of their conversation, and they were not all that loud. The hotel is in a great location though. I had breakfast at the Palmetto Cafe both mornings and the food and service were excellent!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
As someone who just moved from Indy I can tell you that the parks down here are amazing! If you are wanting to visit one, I would suggest Wannamaker in North Charleston (bring the suit for the little one, they have a sprinkle park for free) or Palmetto Park in Mt. Pleasant. Don't bother going to the Children's Museum (the one here is nothing compared to the one in Indy). I also wouldn't bother with the Aquarium (once again, nothing compared to the Zoo in Indy). As far as dining goes, we haven't been too many places (only been here about 3 months) but we have been to the Charleston Crabhouse and it is delicious. Also have tried Sticky Fingers in Mt. Pleasant and it was good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area