U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 AM

31,803 posts, read 15,363,629 times

Advertisements

I live next to a a lake....and six months later --not one snake...EVER.......not in the water, not on the side of the water. Lots and lots of geese, ducks, snowy egrets, blue herons, crows...some sea gulls and a turtle but no snakes -- whew.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,358,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I live next to a a lake....and six months later --not one snake...EVER.......not in the water, not on the side of the water. Lots and lots of geese, ducks, snowy egrets, blue herons, crows...some sea gulls and a turtle but no snakes -- whew.
I've seen everything except snakes in our lakes. I think our gators are eating them.
The strangest thing I've seen swimming around was a pair of pelicans. I tried to tell them they were swimming in fresh water, but I guess they didn't care.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 PM

32 posts, read 53,263 times
Hmmm.... I think I would take a gator over the snake... Do you all let your dogs swim in ponds and such in the area, or is that pretty much a no go because of the snakes?

Ok, another stupid question, if I have a pond, and am far from any major water ways, should I worry about a gator?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM

572 posts, read 1,468,119 times
Snakes don't hunt people, children or pets. If you encounter one it will most definately prefer to run away like the one you saw in your pond. You might get bit if you happen to step on one but other than that your chance of a snake bite will be about equal with getting hit by a meteor. Assuming if you do at some point get bit and the offending snake is poisonous, the hospital will have medication to fix you up.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:41 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,639,516 times
This is serious.

You people just let snakes and gators run loose??? There are not people employed down there whose sole job it is is to kill these critters at first sight??? Unacceptable.

I'll take your grits and other food I have never heard of. I will not deal with gators and snakes. Please rectify this before i arrive. TIA.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:58 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,580,332 times
Many years ago, my then boyfriend's fav activity was "snakehunting"....not to kill, but to observe, capture and keep in glass aquariums. This is likely frowned on now but then, well, we were young......yes, I went with him and oddly found it very interesting. I found a really colorful corn snake myself, with fabulous orange markings and still have the photo today!

If you know the different snakes...what they look like, whether they are aggressive or not, poisonous or not etc., then you can be much more comfortable with them in the wild. They do not want to be near you....but if you surprise them, well hey, you are in their territory...they will defend themselves if necessary.

I have a book, Reptiles of NC/SC, and know just about all the creatures in there. It is just fear of the unknown, maybe, that scares folks.....

Now for alligators:

FORGET ALL I JUST SAID! I AM PETRIFIED OF THEM, THEY EAT DOGS AND LITTLE KIDS!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM

857 posts, read 1,145,544 times
I live in Snee Farm, and we regularly see copperheads, both adult and babies, in the yard. Hubbie almost stepped on a 4 foot adult that he thought was a stick in the driveway.

Yesterday I was driving by the lake (?) that meanders through the golf course. There were a flock of geese on the banks,looking at what I first thought was a log looking very out of place on the green grass. Stopped the car, turned around and saw that it was a 4 foot alligator on the banks; it was still chilly out, so he wasn't moving very fast, but the geese sure were scoping him out!

Any place you live is going to have critters; snakes and gators, large hawks and owls, foxes and coyotes are what we are blessed with here in the lowcountry.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:17 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,358,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

FORGET ALL I JUST SAID! I AM PETRIFIED OF THEM, THEY EAT DOGS AND LITTLE KIDS!!!
I guess it's all about what keeps us awake at night. I enjoy my random alligator sightings quite a bit. Of course, my cat is scary enough to chase off a gator, my kids are overgrown teenagers, and if I do see a gator big enough to run off with my Great Dane I guess that will be the time to get a nice electric fence! Snakes, however, freak the gardener in me out! The idea that I could reach into a bush to pull a weed and come back snake bit is not a happy idea for me at all! They were here before me though, so I guess I just have to adjust my gardening style, and just let some weeds grow where they will.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,580,332 times
Yes, roxanneself, you are right....we all have odd, or funny fears . I wish my cats would be protective of me but think they would end up as lunch w/alligator. I actually enjoy seeing allis from afar too, just not close enough to lose a foot or anything!

Maybe some thick garden gloves? If you were bitten maybe this would help a bit.....on the other hand, you'll likely die of a heart attack from fright anyway.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I guess it's all about what keeps us awake at night. I enjoy my random alligator sightings quite a bit. Of course, my cat is scary enough to chase off a gator, my kids are overgrown teenagers, and if I do see a gator big enough to run off with my Great Dane I guess that will be the time to get a nice electric fence! Snakes, however, freak the gardener in me out! The idea that I could reach into a bush to pull a weed and come back snake bit is not a happy idea for me at all! They were here before me though, so I guess I just have to adjust my gardening style, and just let some weeds grow where they will.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM

672 posts, read 1,915,860 times
To the OP - I think it may be a red bellied water snake. I've seen a lot of cottonmouths and haven't seen any with red tails. Water snakes are completely harmless. They do have a personality issue - they are very feisty. They bite first and "ask questions later". Most people get bit trying to pick a snake up or trying to mess with snake (ex: poking it with a stick).

I wouldn't get rid of it because you are right, you'll create a "habitat sink". More will just move in to the unclaimed habitat. It's actually a good thing to keep a non-venomous snake around because its presence will claim your habitat and make it less likely that another snake of another species will stay in your yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area