U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM

32 posts, read 53,195 times

Advertisements

We recently moved into our home in Ridgeville from Wa state and being typical northerners, we know nothing about local wildlife, other than you shouldnt mess with most of it.
Anyway, our home has a large stocked pond and as I was walking my dog around it today, I saw the tail end of a snake. It was red, and quickly slithered off the bank into the water. I waited quietly on the bank a bit longer to confirm what I saw ( I remained a fair distance out, in case it was something that would want to get me) and eventually saw the black head of a snake peeping out of the water weeds off the shore a bit. As soon as I moved it went under the water and I didn't see it again. I know water moccasins populate this area, so I won't let the dogs in the pond until we get this figured out, but I'm just wondering how I would identify a venomous snake vs a non venomous snake? I don't mind coexisting with snakes that can't hurt me, but if you can cause my leg to rot off with one bite, well, my goodwill ends and we can't be friends. Also, is there a service or someone you can call to come out and remove snakes, or is it even worth it since another one will probably move in?
I love, LOVE everything about this state and wildlife that lives here but the snake thing scares the bejesus out of me!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:03 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,103,124 times
I don't live there, but thought this site might be helpful to identify snakes in the SC area.

SC Snake Pictures Page

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,580,580 times
There is a service that does removal, call your local PD and they can get you the name and number of the local operator who works your area.....

Most snakes are not poisonous, but the ones that are will kill most pets and small children, some will kill just about everything....

Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 PM

8,233 posts, read 12,073,040 times
If it has a triangle shaped head stay away!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM

10,814 posts, read 9,632,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
If it has a triangle shaped head stay away!
I must say that I try to stay far enough away from snakes in order to definitively determine if they have a diamond of rounded shaped head! Snakes just give me the heebeegeebees.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,123,371 times
Im going to guess that it was a moccassin for a few reasons, it was black on top, redish on the bottom and lives in water.... was it a thick snake, length? Had a good snake try to sit in my lap a couple of days ago, eastern king... they are black with a yellow stripe that resembles chain links, they eat poisonous snakes... also, like stated, if it has a large triangle head stay away... but not all poisonous snakes have triangle heads... ridgeville? Buy a 12ga shot gun n use BB shot or snake shells and that'll start to solve your problem!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I must say that I try to stay far enough away from snakes in order to definitively determine if they have a diamond of rounded shaped head! Snakes just give me the heebeegeebees.

I know!!!!
Creepy crawlies freak me out! I will never forget sitting at the Hilton Charleston Harbor having lunch on the patio with a friend and a bright green snake slithered under the trash can......it was sooooo long! I screamed like the dickens! LOL!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
Im going to guess that it was a moccassin for a few reasons, it was black on top, redish on the bottom and lives in water.... was it a thick snake, length? Had a good snake try to sit in my lap a couple of days ago, eastern king... they are black with a yellow stripe that resembles chain links, they eat poisonous snakes... also, like stated, if it has a large triangle head stay away... but not all poisonous snakes have triangle heads... ridgeville? Buy a 12ga shot gun n use BB shot or snake shells and that'll start to solve your problem!

Sit in your lap?!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 AM

32 posts, read 53,195 times
Our vet very helpfully asked if it's pupils were round or slits... Uh, I'm not getting close enough to study it's pupils!
It was not a thick snake that I could see, I only saw the tail which was probably 7 inches or so long (or the portion of the tail I could see, since they are all tail and head.) I looked at the site and I think it may have been a red belly water snake. Do moccasins look that thick in the water? What I saw didn't look very thick, and it swam under the water, not on top, if that matters....
If I have this snake removed or we kill it, is there anything other than finding a king snake that will deter another one from taking it's place?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

857 posts, read 1,143,069 times
If you have a pond and are even somewhat rural, you're going to have to deal with snakes, both poisonous and non. The non I don't mind at all, because they eat other critters I hate worse - like bugs and rodents!

Get a good picture book of SC snakes, and learn to recognize what they are.

Be alert when you're out, especially with your dog that he/she doesn't get bitten. I think most snakes wouldn't launch an unprovoked attack, but if you stumble on one, or your dog noses one up out of the brush, it's only going to defend itself.

Ask your neighbors what kinds of snakes they've seen in the area, and you'll have a better idea of what to look out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area