Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM

14 posts, read 15,947 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Doesn't feel great to be a home owner? Well, I am a future first time home buyer. I have decided to move back to Charleston after living in Memphis for 5 years now.

Memphis has some great prices for quality homes but I want to be in Charleston. Well I have been saving to put down on my first home as well as savings to back me up when I get to charleston for three months.

I am self employed and will be expanding my maid cleaning service in Charleston. I wanted to get advice on when I should the home buying process. I will have some income coming in from Memphis for selling my cleaning business leads but I will be starting from scratch building clientele in Charleston.

I have been been thinking about searching in different areas for the home I want to buy when I arrive in May. Regardless of when I find one, I would like to go ahead and start the buying process. It could be a 1, 3, or 6 months. I have a decent credit score over 640.

Do you know of any realtors that will work with me on buying a home eventhough I dont have any clients. I have a market plan for my business etc. I know that within 6 months I will have a steady cash flow of income.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Catrina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
DJ, Joe, Beach they are all on here...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,991 times
First of all let me say, good job to you! Congratulations on being financially responsible and saving and building a business for yourself. Being an entrepeneur is not easy, and you have obviously succeded and are ready to do it again!
In regards to home ownership...the first step you are going to need to take is to get a prequalification lender from a mortgage broker. They will go over your finances with you, your credit score, income etc and will help you see when you will be financially ready to purchase a home. From there, you will have a much better idea how to proceed with buying a home.
Best of luck,
Foster

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Sorry Foster I left you off of that list....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 15,947 times
SCDweller,

Thanks for the feedback. Great info.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM

259 posts, read 554,143 times
I am a Real Estate broker in the area I live in ( not in SC) and what SCDeller told you is very true. But a few other things: once you have your lending in place (interview more than one person and find one that you feel comfortable with). Also do the same with a Real Estate Agent (buyer’s agent) that you have interviewed and stick with them. You could do this simultaneously BTW.

Also returning to an area, you may be best served to rent for 6 months or so to get a feel for the area again.

I tell my clients...Homes sell themselves, it's my fiduciary responsibility to have you go into your purchase understanding the potential down side to a property you have fallen in love with. I have to look myself in the mirror every morning and I have never made a sale just to make a sale.

Since I don’t know SC Real Estate law, I can’t tell you how the commission gets dealt with there. Or law of Agency…but I’m sure you can look it up on line.

Here it goes like this: Listing Agent is the sellers (home owner) representative. Selling Agent (Buyer’s agent) could represent the seller or buyer depending on agency. Make sure your agent represents you unless they are doing a dual agency and it has been disclosed to you. If you are using a dual agent you may want an attorney to look over your contract…it will cost a bit but could save you in the long run.
Commission splits here are like this (all numbers are just an example) the Listing Agent signs a listing agreement for 8% with the seller. They list it on the MLS and offer all agents a split it could be 4% or 3% or whatever to bring a buyer to the table.

With new construction make sure you have your agent go with you the first time to register or you register your agent. The site agents represent the seller/builder.

YOU ALWAYS WANT AN AGENT THAT REPRESENTS YOU

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,991 times
Great advice Willow. Very important information there which I wholeheartedly agree with.
OTC, Not a problem. I've been out of the loop here for a little while. Busy times this Spring.
Foster

Old 04-21-2011, 06:03 PM

Busy is good....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 AM

35 posts, read 47,983 times
Great! The Lowcountry is a beautiful place to live and we're growing, so its a good place to build a business. There are lots of great areas for first-time homebuyers. Prices have come down, interest rates are low, there are many foreclosures that are priced below the market, and there are many sellers willing to help with closing costs. Having a down payment of 3-20% is great, and you would definitely need to get pre-qualified. Some foreclosure programs like Home Path will offer you cash towards your closing. If you are going to have a business that serves the whole area, you may want to look at a central location like North Charleston or Hanahan. Or, if you want to serve higher end clientele and second-home owners, you may want to look closer to the beaches and downtown.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
I agree with all of the above. Please speak with a lender first. Self-employed, and moving to a new area without an established clientele may put a hamper on your ability to repay in the lender's eyes. They might want you to be up and running with established local business/income prior to signing off on your loan. If so, then renting might be your best option for the short term. That will also let you take some time to feel comfortable with the area, and hone in on which part of the low country you'd like to call home when you do buy.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area