U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM
 
3 posts, read 31,498 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Hi!

I am an young Asian woman and am considering moving to Charleston sometime in the near future. I grew up in Virginia and generally never felt discriminated against. I guess I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the general attitude towards Asians is in Charleston/if there's any overt racism against them? I am adopted and grew up being raised by white parents/have almost all white friends, so it's not that I'm looking for a huge Asian population to hang out with... I just want to make sure I wouldn't be moving to a place where I often felt discriminated against or uncomfortable because of my race.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 16,580,982 times
Reputation: 1360
I had a long statement typed in here but decided to just delete it......

Get with the 21st century...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM
 
3 posts, read 31,498 times
Reputation: 24
To say that, you honestly must be white because you've clearly never experienced what it feels like to feel uncomfortable because of your race. I am politely asking for some insight, and I don't think it's nice of you to just shoot me down. I don't think South Carolina is full of hick, buck-toothed idiots, if that's what you're assuming, but I do know there is a very small Asian population there so I am just doing my research before making any decisions.

What's so wrong with that?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,078 posts, read 10,173,113 times
Reputation: 30347
Maybe the way your question is worded puts Charleston on the defensive....but I do understand what you want to know.....

As all the Charleston posters know by now, I am moving to the area and cannot be happier about it. Charleston has a wide variety of residents from varied backgrounds. Just the universities and the medical center bring in students, faculty, MDs and other medical professionals from all over. And definitely tourists from all over as well.

I honestly feel you would have no problems at all! You'd be just another resident!



Quote:
Originally Posted by skm678 View Post
To say that, you honestly must be white because you've clearly never experienced what it feels like to feel uncomfortable because of your race. I am politely asking for some insight, and I don't think it's nice of you to just shoot me down. I don't think South Carolina is full of hick, buck-toothed idiots, if that's what you're assuming, but I do know there is a very small Asian population there so I am just doing my research before making any decisions.

What's so wrong with that?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 PM
 
Location: N.Charleston,SC
1,815 posts, read 3,455,430 times
Reputation: 567
I think you will love MtPleasant.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 12,162,211 times
Reputation: 3747
When you say SC and Charleston, one must insert a period, comma, whatever between the two as they are very, very different.

The Charleston area (plus Greenville) has more open minds to differing ideas/people due to the influx of shall we say, better educated/more experienced people from outside SC. Not that these areas do not contain hicks/racists (like any part on the world does), but they are less prone to be more so then much of the state in between the two areas.

When one "looks" different then the majority, many say.....hmmmm.....but as soon as those different "looking" folks open their mouth and speak "perfect" American English many of the.....hmmmms...go away. When one "looks" like the majority there are no initial....hmmmmms. They come later based on accents/etc. Some might say this is racist and while I agree, it is a fact of life.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 16,580,982 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by skm678 View Post
To say that, you honestly must be white because you've clearly never experienced what it feels like to feel uncomfortable because of your race. I am politely asking for some insight, and I don't think it's nice of you to just shoot me down. I don't think South Carolina is full of hick, buck-toothed idiots, if that's what you're assuming, but I do know there is a very small Asian population there so I am just doing my research before making any decisions.

What's so wrong with that?
Just asking the stupid ass question alone shows your ignorance, my color has nothing to do with it.....

There is a very large Asian population here, most of them speak Tagalon...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
 
259 posts, read 526,439 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
I am adopted and grew up being raised by white parents/have almost all white friends, .......... where I often felt discriminated against or uncomfortable because of my race.



Really take a close look at your post (see above) and tell me what you see? From where I stand you are talking about what you felt, how uncomfortable you are/were.

You are ass u me ing OTC is white because why?

I must agree with OTC.
Quote:
Just asking the stupid ass question alone shows your ignorance


Oh, and I'm not even in Charleston yet and I'm offended

......will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. MLK jr
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 AM
 
3 posts, read 31,498 times
Reputation: 24
Everyone is misunderstanding me. I think Charleston is a wonderful place and want to stay in the south. I just saw on the census website that there is about a 1% Asian population in Charleston and, like I said, am just doing my research. I grew up in a place with more of a 13% Asian population. Of course I'm going to get a little defensive when OleTomCat just rudely tells me to "get with the 21st century". I didn't mean any offense. I was only providing information on my background because I've seen other posts relating to this where people have just said "oh, you won't find many Asian people around here to hang out with." That's not what I want to know. I'm not looking for a large Asian community to "fit in" with... that was not my objective when I asked this question. What I REALLY wanted was an Asian person's perspective regarding how they felt while they were there/if they felt like they were treated differently. You all are the ignorant ones if you're really going to pretend that we DON'T live in a world that sometimes looks at the color of other people's skin. In an ideal world that would be the case, but we're not quite there yet. I've had someone from New Jersey not want to sit on my bed simply because I was Asian (??). These things happen. They're unfortunate, but they do. I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't quite understand everyone's hostility. I was not attacking Charleston in any way. The fact of the matter is minorities often have to consider these factors when they decide whether to move somewhere or not. I would love to not have to think about these things, but I do.

Sheesh.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 AM
 
Location: Summerville
7,934 posts, read 16,580,982 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by skm678 View Post
Everyone is misunderstanding me. I think Charleston is a wonderful place and want to stay in the south. I just saw on the census website that there is about a 1% Asian population in Charleston and, like I said, am just doing my research. I grew up in a place with more of a 13% Asian population. Of course I'm going to get a little defensive when OleTomCat just rudely tells me to "get with the 21st century". I didn't mean any offense. I was only providing information on my background because I've seen other posts relating to this where people have just said "oh, you won't find many Asian people around here to hang out with." That's not what I want to know. I'm not looking for a large Asian community to "fit in" with... that was not my objective when I asked this question. What I REALLY wanted was an Asian person's perspective regarding how they felt while they were there/if they felt like they were treated differently. You all are the ignorant ones if you're really going to pretend that we DON'T live in a world that sometimes looks at the color of other people's skin. In an ideal world that would be the case, but we're not quite there yet. I've had someone from New Jersey not want to sit on my bed simply because I was Asian (??). These things happen. They're unfortunate, but they do. I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't quite understand everyone's hostility. I was not attacking Charleston in any way. The fact of the matter is minorities often have to consider these factors when they decide whether to move somewhere or not. I would love to not have to think about these things, but I do.

Sheesh.
Your original post was offensive, your perspective of being the victim offends me....

You are the problem, not everyone else, you see racism where it doesn't exist because you feel uncomfortable....

Read the definition of Racism, it has nothing to do with feeling uncomfortable it has to do with racial superiority and power.....

As a people the Japanese are some of the most racist people on the planet, and yes I have been there.....
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top