Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 PM

73 posts, read 129,421 times

Advertisements

It's as religious as you make it. I was born into a very religious family in NY, gave up religion as a young teen, and never looked back. I'm a happy atheist/agnostic and I live in Summerville without issues. I love living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Summerville is probably a little more religious than say, downtown Charleston or Mt. Pleasant, but not so much that you would notice it on a daily basis.

Incidentally, I actually saw someone with one of these "In Reason We Trust" license plates the other day in North Charleston. Maybe there is hope after all.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
I could easily say there is no hope without God...

What I've found interesting about those tags is the reason people own them. There are two types of people that have the 'In God We Trust' plates... those who believe and want to promote the message of God, and those who had the plates issued to them originally and really don't care enough to get another. Of the three people I know who have the 'In Reason We Trust' plates, everyone of them have the the plate not because they are promoting the belief system, but because they want to irritate Christians.

I have no issue with those that want to promote their faith. I think it's kinda a douche move to have it for the sole purpose of offending others. But hey... you have the right to be a douche in our country.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM

72 posts, read 145,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan View Post
Hello All---
I hear South Carolina is a pretty religious state...is it true and what about in Summerville? Are you frowned upon if you don't attend church?
I would advise you to stay closer to the "downtown" area. We live out in Cane Bay and we have found this area to be extremely focused on religion. I have never had so many flyers on my door, people knocking on my door trying to get me to join their church, etc. (And I have lived in South Carolina my whole life.)

Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 AM

72 posts, read 145,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuddey View Post
Yes, Charleston is a very easy and wonderful place to live if you are White and Christian, but otherwise, it can be difficult to make connections and feel a part of. I've ended up making friends with a group of mothers who had to form their own group around their secular humanist beliefs. One of the first questions that strangers ask when meeting me is often, "have you found a church yet?" Religion comes up a lot in the public schools. People are much more public about their religion here than where I am from in the North, where people tend to keep that private. I don't know the religious beliefs of friends I've had for 20 years there, but here it is one of the first things that comes up. Also, if you have children, most of the preschools are associated with churches, and much of the kid social activity stuff is rooted in churches but not balanced out by secular options.
I completely agree with this.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I could easily say there is no hope without God...
And I could just as easily respond: Prove it!

But, we both know where this line of thought goes. I say "prove it," which you, axiomatically, cannot. And you say "Disprove it", which is, inarguably, even more impossible. Then the word "faith" gets tossed around for a while, and the most damaging part of the whole argument for theists (that you can't prove God exists), suddenly becomes the most convincing part for you (faith moves mountains!). And then 10 pages and several days later we are right back where we started.

No thanks!

I agree on the plates, though. I don't have one. I think political statements on cars are pretty desperate. It's right up there with those scary snake flags on the douche-factor.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Only if the person flying the Gadsden flag is doing so just to **** someone else off. I have no problem if you're actually exposing your beliefs.. there's a difference. It's like the Darwin fish plates or the dinosaur eating the fish plate, that's someone attacking a faith instead of promoting their own beliefs... it's asshattery at it's finest. I'm not trying to censor their speech mind you.. they're free to paste it all over their car if they want... just as I'm free to assess the person accordingly.

My point about with the 'hope' comment wasn't to try to prove or disprove any one belief, I simply believe your comment was meant as a derogatory statement to those that do follow a faith based religion.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
My point about with the 'hope' comment wasn't to try to prove or disprove any one belief, I simply believe your comment was meant as a derogatory statement to those that do follow a faith based religion.
I understand what you're saying. And you're right - I don't respect faith based religions. At all. And I think the govt sanctioning of them on the SC license plate is idiotic. There's your non-PC answer.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM

And that's fine... I respect honesty much more than PC BS.

Personally I respect other people's beliefs.. Just as your lack of belief is in fact a belief system in and of itself. I may not agree with the system, but I affirm their right to believe what they wish. I can't promote my belief system by degrading another's. I'm not saying be PC.. or words hurt and all that crap. I'm just saying you can't expect people to be willing to respect your views if you're not willing to respect theirs.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 AM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
I identify as culturally Jewish, but don't adhere to the dogma. Personally, find greater meaning
in nature not an allwatching "being".

I have no issue with people plastering their cars with Jesus fish, or i love jesus plate holders.

Which i see all over everyday.

Unfortunately, some of these "good christians" do not respect my gay pride stickers. Had gay slurs
screamed at me,cut off in traffic, had stickers ripped off,nails in tires,.not to mention daily nasty looks
all over this area.

I would never attack someone or their property but since they are so moral and "christian" its
ok to attack the demonic homo.

So IDGAF and have little sympathy for those who think religious people are being insulted, welcome
to my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area