Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 AM

119 posts, read 204,610 times

Advertisements

My husband & I, along with our children will be relocating to Mt. Pleasant this summer. We work together & are both self employed. I will also be getting my realtor's license in SC & thought I could get coverage through the NAR, realtor's board but that coverage is very limited, so therefore not an option. In CT we obtained group health insurance by joining our local chamber of commerce & we were able to get a so called group "discounted" rate with a plan that's not medically underwritten. I have not been able to find a chamber of commerce for Mt. Pleasant in my searches. I'm sure there are others who are self employed in the area; how did you go about getting coverage? Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,411,694 times
My husband and I are both Realtors and also own our own business. We currently do not have insurance however many Real Estate offices (such as ours) offer Insurance so ask around. Ours was 1200 a month for a family of 4.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,620,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4-2day View Post
My husband & I, along with our children will be relocating to Mt. Pleasant this summer. We work together & are both self employed. I will also be getting my realtor's license in SC & thought I could get coverage through the NAR, realtor's board but that coverage is very limited, so therefore not an option. In CT we obtained group health insurance by joining our local chamber of commerce & we were able to get a so called group "discounted" rate with a plan that's not medically underwritten. I have not been able to find a chamber of commerce for Mt. Pleasant in my searches. I'm sure there are others who are self employed in the area; how did you go about getting coverage? Thank you in advance
Another new real estate agent in Mount Pleasant. Just what the place needs, another starving real estate person. The bloom is long off that rose here.

At least become a Buyers Agent, so you attempt to screw a seller with a straight face.

In these times you might make more money asking if one would likes Fries with their order or asking paper or plastic....LOL

Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 PM

482 posts, read 841,376 times
I obtained health insurance through Golden Rule about 4 years ago. I also used BCBS but switched a few years ago.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:22 PM

180 posts, read 404,621 times
Call an insurance agent for advice. He/she may have a policy

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,394,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Call an insurance agent for advice. He/she may have a policy
Yes. Good advice. Your independent insurance agent that specializes in Individual Health insurance should be able to show you the options available in South Carolina.

If you have your health you should have plenty of choices at reasonable prices-- unlike many states in the Northeast or West where there may not be ANY choices whatsoever. Those states were the forerunner to Obamacare.

The best options are, if you do your research, Health Savings Account compatible plans. The reason for this is that they LIMIT your worst case scenario exposure. With these plans, you will get to a point where the insurance company will pick up and start paying for EVERYTHING. it is called STOP-LOSS protection. No co-pay plan can say this. Not only are co-pay plans more expensive, but when you are sick and if you had to be on a bunch of prescriptions, the co-pays for these alone could add up to thousands ---even tens of thousands of dollars PER YEAR ----on TOP of a MORE EXPENSIVE PREMIUM than the HSA qualified plans. there are no limits to what the co-pays can add up to in 99% of plans.

Needless to say, avoid the co-pay plans LIKE THE PLAGUE. Choose an HSA plan which will have additional built in tax savings that the regular co-pay plans don't have. Yes they have larger deductibles up front but even if you add in the deductibles minus the tax savings you are WAY ahead of where you'd be with a co-pay plan in both healthy years and bad years where you have lots of expenses.

If you have questions about how they work, send me a message.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM

355 posts, read 1,445,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Another new real estate agent in Mount Pleasant. Just what the place needs, another starving real estate person. The bloom is long off that rose here.

At least become a Buyers Agent, so you attempt to screw a seller with a straight face.

In these times you might make more money asking if one would likes Fries with their order or asking paper or plastic....LOL

It's funny. Even in this market those who work hard (in most industries) and keep a positive attitude are still the ones who are successful. I'm amazed that it hasn't caught on to those who are suffering or stagnating.

This is especially true for people who own their own businesses.

To the OP-good luck. I hope you are wildly successful.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM

119 posts, read 204,610 times
THANK YOU to those who made suggestions & recommendations about obtaining health insurance. Currently I am healthy but did have to battle breast cancer 3 1/2 years ago (I was only in my mid 30's with no family history!) so for about another 1 1/2 years, most likely I would not qualify for an individual policy, since the rule of thumb is to be cancer free for atleast 5 years, then it would go up to review if they would accept me.

After posting on this forum, I spoke to a few others from South Carolina, mostly professionals in the financial industry & small business owners(from various industries) due to the current economy most couldn't afford to keep their health insurance as of 2-3 years ago. Very Sad that it's come to this....

Last edited by Live4-2day; 05-04-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: