Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
how long have you been in N.Chuck? what year did u move here...
I moved out here back in Jan 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
I moved out here back in Jan 2000.
you just moved here a little over 10 yrs ago?? that killed my image of you, and your credibility of knowing what N.Chuck was and is... no offense but u have a lot to learn about where you moved...

I've been here nearly 50 years, since before N.Chuck was N.Chuck... it used to just be called the north area, and was a much better place than today... and your neighborhood was woods, part of a huntclub... IMO it got worse after the shipyard closed, it had it's seedy areas back then but even I could walk just about anywhere even at night (and did more times than I can remember) without worrying about anything other than the cops harrassing people a little here n there...

George Lagare was the first real bad neighborhood in NChas IIRC, one by one much of NChas went down... I watched many great areas get turned over to thugs and turn into almost ghettos, and I watched this at times living in NChas other times not... whether I lived in the hoods or not has no bearing on my knowledge of them as u have tried to insist...

I've lived in several places that are now "in the hood" so I can share with a pretty strong authority of what they were, how they changed, and where they are today in comparison. As can others here I'm sure... who have actually been here long enough to see it all...

they weren't always that way, but many still are... many are far worse, northeasterner's moved in with their bad kids to "get away from the trouble" in those areas not realizing it's their kids that made it that way... now they make many places here bad... can't tell you how many caused trouble killing people here and "ran" back to DC, NYC, Va, Maryland etc etc over the last 15/20 yrs... todays paper had one of those HALIMS in it I believe, found him in Va...

maybe you should take a tour with one of us that's actually from here so we can enlighten you on where you've moved

you don't remember the lockdown at the elementary school around the corner from you last year? or why the cops practically lived in that neighborhood for two years, about 5 yrs ago? I do... and was privy to a lot more info than most due to my profession at the time... I heard it from the guys that work/worked that area, not the nightly news spin...

Old 05-20-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
you just moved here a little over 10 yrs ago?? that killed my image of you, and your credibility of knowing what N.Chuck was and is... no offense but u have a lot to learn about where you moved...

I've been here nearly 50 years, since before N.Chuck was N.Chuck... it used to just be called the north area, and was a much better place than today... and your neighborhood was woods, part of a huntclub... IMO it got worse after the shipyard closed, it had it's seedy areas back then but even I could walk just about anywhere even at night (and did more times than I can remember) without worrying about anything other than the cops harrassing people a little here n there...

George Lagare was the first real bad neighborhood in NChas IIRC, one by one much of NChas went down... I watched many great areas get turned over to thugs and turn into almost ghettos, and I watched this at times living in NChas other times not... whether I lived in the hoods or not has no bearing on my knowledge of them as u have tried to insist...

I've lived in several places that are now "in the hood" so I can share with a pretty strong authority of what they were, how they changed, and where they are today in comparison. As can others here I'm sure... who have actually been here long enough to see it all...

they weren't always that way, but many still are... many are far worse, northeasterner's moved in with their bad kids to "get away from the trouble" in those areas not realizing it's their kids that made it that way... now they make many places here bad... can't tell you how many caused trouble killing people here and "ran" back to DC, NYC, Va, Maryland etc etc over the last 15/20 yrs... todays paper had one of those HALIMS in it I believe, found him in Va...

maybe you should take a tour with one of us that's actually from here so we can enlighten you on where you've moved

you don't remember the lockdown at the elementary school around the corner from you last year? or why the cops practically lived in that neighborhood for two years, about 5 yrs ago? I do... and was privy to a lot more info than most due to my profession at the time... I heard it from the guys that work/worked that area, not the nightly news spin...

Actually I know all about North Charleston.

Do you REALLY think I'd move my family to someplace I've not looked into?

And I'll add ... my wife was born and raised here. She is the only reason we are living here and not in Artesia.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Artesia, NM? that's a place I know nothing about...

Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 AM

252 posts, read 495,340 times
I am probably going to regret posting this, but....i'm feeling brave today (or stupid)

My family moved here just over 12 months ago, (I know, a blink of the eye) our priority at the time were the schools, we were persuaded by lots of different people/reasons, to chose Mount Pleasant and enrol our Son in Wando. We don't regret that decision, our Son is graduating next week with very nice grades and college credits.

Now that we don't need to be in Mt.P, we have decided to move closer to hubby's place of work (CAFB) there are a lot of reasons that went toward our chosing to move to N Charleston (gasp!) Money being one of the main ones, gas prices are ridiculous when you drive an 80 mile round trip every day! Rental prices here are at least 50% higher than there, maybe people think that is acceptable because this area is 'high end'? The owner of the house we rent here wanted us to sign a 6 month lease and pay an extra $300 a month (1800 a month) for a comparable size/quality of home we can get for $1.000 a month in N. Chas'. Our elec/water bill has never been below $350 a month here (except this last one) I have worked here in Mt.P for the last 6 months, in a customer service position, in my (personal) opinion, a lot of the residents here are not that friendly, kind of materialistic and a little on the 'snobby' side, as I said, just my humble opinion. Definitely not all the people, but a good amount.

Maybe we will regret our decision, we could end up in a 'bad' area, but we are not too worried, we are looking forward to having a little extra cash in the bank and maybe even being able to see and enjoy a bit more of SC, which is one of the reasons we transferred here. We will be 'empty nesters' from August and although I am not looking forward to that! I can't wait to have the freedom (and extra money) to be able to enjoy life here and not live from paycheck to paycheck so we can live in the great Mount Pleasant.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Uhoh ... Home Invasion in WindsorHill with 3 masked black clothed suspects with guns... postandcourier.com

you got to hate it when you're proved right while in the middle of a debate... glad no one was seriously hurt...

Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

252 posts, read 495,340 times
Quote:
Uhoh ... Home Invasion in WindsorHill with 3 masked black clothed suspects with guns... postandcourier.com

you got to hate it when you're proved right while in the middle of a debate... glad no one was seriously hurt...

Wando High school was put on lockdown last week because of a bank robbery and that is in Mount Pleasant.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanaxberg View Post
Wando High school was put on lockdown last week because of a bank robbery and that is in Mount Pleasant.
That's a little different that a home invasion where someone got shot in an area known for violent crime don't u think... with all due respect its an on going conversation with bull, not w someone brand new to the area that has no clue...

Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:

That doesn't prove anything ... LOL. And that is a whole seperate neighborhood from Windsor Hill 'proper'. I'd think you'd know that being that you're up here SOOOOO much.

It proves there was a crime recently in a small pocket of a community. It doesn't prove that North Charleston is the crap hole some of you make it out to be.

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 05-20-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanaxberg View Post
I am probably going to regret posting this, but....i'm feeling brave today (or stupid)

My family moved here just over 12 months ago, (I know, a blink of the eye) our priority at the time were the schools, we were persuaded by lots of different people/reasons, to chose Mount Pleasant and enrol our Son in Wando. We don't regret that decision, our Son is graduating next week with very nice grades and college credits.

Now that we don't need to be in Mt.P, we have decided to move closer to hubby's place of work (CAFB) there are a lot of reasons that went toward our chosing to move to N Charleston (gasp!) Money being one of the main ones, gas prices are ridiculous when you drive an 80 mile round trip every day! Rental prices here are at least 50% higher than there, maybe people think that is acceptable because this area is 'high end'? The owner of the house we rent here wanted us to sign a 6 month lease and pay an extra $300 a month (1800 a month) for a comparable size/quality of home we can get for $1.000 a month in N. Chas'. Our elec/water bill has never been below $350 a month here (except this last one) I have worked here in Mt.P for the last 6 months, in a customer service position, in my (personal) opinion, a lot of the residents here are not that friendly, kind of materialistic and a little on the 'snobby' side, as I said, just my humble opinion. Definitely not all the people, but a good amount.

Maybe we will regret our decision, we could end up in a 'bad' area, but we are not too worried, we are looking forward to having a little extra cash in the bank and maybe even being able to see and enjoy a bit more of SC, which is one of the reasons we transferred here. We will be 'empty nesters' from August and although I am not looking forward to that! I can't wait to have the freedom (and extra money) to be able to enjoy life here and not live from paycheck to paycheck so we can live in the great Mount Pleasant.
EXACTLY.

Very well stated on all points ... and all your points are petty-fogged by anyone that lives in Charleston or Mt Pleasant. Convenient forgetfullness about the cost and crime that goes on in those places while trying to shine 10,000 spotlights on every single crime that takes place in questionable neighborhoods of North Charleston and applying a thick, wide coat of paint when describing the city of North Charleston as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area