Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,767 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions for the hunters that read this board:
If I were to ask a hunter to shoot a deer for me during hunting season how much should I offer to pay for that?
I also need the blood drained and the intestines/stomach removed, but bones left in, skin on, etc... Is that something that most hunters do right there in the woods?
Roughly how much does a typical deer weigh in adulthood and how many pounds of meat does a deer usually yield?

I know it's strange, wanting bones and skin left on the deer, but it would be for my dogs, and they'll eat everything but waste organs and the hoofs (and the liver, but only because they want that cooked, silly beasties!).
I'm tired of paying butcher prices for my dogs, and my local butcher told me to ask a hunter, so here I am.......

Slightly off topic, but is there a wholesale meat or seafood plant in the region that sells to local grocers?

Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
You might want to google for local deer processors and see what they offer. Here in our area there are hunters who love to hunt and take their kills to the processor for them to sell. They may also be able to give you scraps as well.

If you guys enjoy deer meat, I wish I lived closer. We have a good deal in our freezer from customers. We just can't eat it all.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM

28 posts, read 69,548 times
Default free deer

Hi
I am moving to Goose Creek from Montana. If you were to ask that question in Montana you would end up with several deer no charge I am sure of it!! From what I understand the deer harvest quota there is quite generous! I would hope that you find hunters there as generous as they are here and would expect a deer to show up for you during the season!! Good luck. Ps I will get in touch with you after I move and I am sure we can harvest a deer for you!!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Default I should add

Our dogs love to eat Elk and deer!!!! My wife and process our animals ourselves and save all scrap for our Lab and Boarder collie!! They also are crazy for fish. Give a girl a fish she eats for a day teach a girl to fish and she eats for a lifetime!! Just a thought

Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Chrome kitty, thanks for the great tip. I don't know anything about hunting, so I didn't even know where to start. I will look into deer processors.
Elkeater, my dogs love fish too. They've never had deer, but I bet they'll love it. Right now they are eating lots of chicken and pork, with green tripe about once a week. Do you freeze the meat first to kill off parasites, or can the dogs eat it right away?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM

Default both

We feed them some as we are processing the meat then freeze the rest for ourselves and them. We label the cuts for us and the scraps dog elk or dog deer. We feed our dogs dry dog food with elk or deer added. I am an avid fisherman who practices catch and release except for some areas that are over populated with trout. Also I am an ethical hunter and believe in one shot one kill. And utilize everything I kill!! I understand the sea trout in SC are in trouble and would not advocate keeping or accepting any of them. If you are offered any I suggest you try to educate the fishermen that they should be released! Except in the unfortunate circumstance they are not able to be released?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Catfish are over abundant here so you should be able to catch and keep all of them that you want.....

Yes the Deer harvest is plentiful, if you can find the property to hunt, or pay the $50.00+ to hunt the government land, there are lots of that to choose from also......

Roxanne, you can also check with DNR for road kill for the dogs as well.......

Most hunters field dress the deer, gut and drain, then take it to a processor, I do my own, then pick it up when it is finished alot of times some people will drop it off and not go get it, most processors will sell the ones that are not picked up....

An average dressed dear will run in the neighborhood of 100#...

Hope that helps...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Default you cant sell deer meat here...

If u check out scdnr's website you'll read the law that says it's illegal here to sell your deer meat, I believe that's due to the FDA because there's no inspection done on wild game here...

I hunt most months of the year, the deer here are smaller than in the midwest or west of the Mississippi.. avg buck here will only be about 135/140 lbs before being dressed, there are 200lb plus deer but its rare they are harvested due to our thick woods and swamps...

Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
If u check out scdnr's website you'll read the law that says it's illegal here to sell your deer meat, I believe that's due to the FDA because there's no inspection done on wild game here...

I hunt most months of the year, the deer here are smaller than in the midwest or west of the Mississippi.. avg buck here will only be about 135/140 lbs before being dressed, there are 200lb plus deer but its rare they are harvested due to our thick woods and swamps...
Thanks, that's good to know. Do you suppose hiring someone to get a deer for me is enough of a loophole? Probably not, huh?
Maybe I need to show my husband exactly how much feeding these dogs cost (they eat raw meat/bones exclusively) to convince him that he should take up hunting as a sport. The darn deer are so comfortable coming right up to the walls of my house to eat my flowers I swear I could go out and put a collar on them. Maybe I could coax one inside........

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Thanks, that's good to know. Do you suppose hiring someone to get a deer for me is enough of a loophole? Probably not, huh?
Maybe I need to show my husband exactly how much feeding these dogs cost (they eat raw meat/bones exclusively) to convince him that he should take up hunting as a sport. The darn deer are so comfortable coming right up to the walls of my house to eat my flowers I swear I could go out and put a collar on them. Maybe I could coax one inside........

LOL!!!!!!

Processors don't sell the meat, what they are doing is re-cooping their costs for the processing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area