Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:53 PM

417 posts, read 432,992 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for a nice East Indian restaurant here?
I have heard of one 'Taste of India'. How do you people recommend it?
Spicy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
I've never been ... but know of Taste of India as well as Nirlep.

Nirlep Indian Restaurant

Taste of India Indian Restaurant

They are practically across the street from each other on Savannah Highway in West Ashley.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,198 times
I've been to both "Taste of India" and "Nirlep" on Savannah Highway. As someone said, they're very close to one another. I'd recommend Nirlep over Taste of India, but they're both good. The only thing with Nirlep is their ceiling is in the midst of being replaced right now (it's in an old Pizza Hut)...makes for a rather unappealing atmosphere, but the food's well worth it.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Second for Nirlep.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
I agree both are good with an edge to Nirlep. Also, did not a new Indian restaurant recently open out on Rivers Ave?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I agree both are good with an edge to Nirlep. Also, did not a new Indian restaurant recently open out on Rivers Ave?
Called Bombay...haven't tried it, although we have been to the small grocery.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM

131 posts, read 348,536 times
ha! I would consider adopting Thai food instead (I say this as a person from East Indian descent myself lol)

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM

And we'd rather have the "Indian" than the "Thai" around here. LOL

Rarely are you going to get authentic ethnic food. What you generally get is an adaption of the original (either because of local ingredients or completely Americanizing the cuisine). An then sometimes you get a food that is a totally bastardized version of the original (think Chinese food).

We love Thai, but don't generally eat it around Charleston.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM

131 posts, read 348,536 times
I love Basil downtown, and Taste of Thai in West Ashley for Thai. I've actually had friends from Europe who've travelled to Thailand complement the curries at Basil. Taste of Thai is pretty good too, you just have to wait a bit for food. I only go to Basil at lunch because of their price though!!

Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,086 times
I know this is an old posting.............

But wanted to comment and give a shout out to Taste of India.

I choose Taste Of India way over Nirlep.

Mrs and I ate at both establishments few months ago and Taste of India outweighed Nirlep.

We went back to Taste Of India again this week and again very happy with the variation of food offered, as well as the quality and still surprised over the $7.99/buffet weekday.

We are going back tomorrow Saturday again.......... we will be in the area anyway shopping.. so why not enjoy eating there a second time in the week

One thing we miss from NYC is Indian food... lumping in Pakistani and Bengali at the same time.
Miss nothing else mind you........... just the Indian buffets we enjoyed in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

During the week we took our 3 yr old and they said no charge when it was time to pay the bill.... they said it in just a really nice smiling way... it just hit me... I offered and paid 1/2 an adult buffet for him anyway

By the way we did eat at the Indian buffet on Rivers Road next to the grocery store... nothing to write home about at all sorry.

Glad we found Taste of India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area