Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
just left Belle Hall a little earlier, nice safe neighborhood with a very nice pool and clubhouse... much nicer than most places in S'ville...

but I live in S'Ville, and prefer too for more reasons than I can list tonight
Belle Hall Apartments? Great location within walking distance of a lot...but you should check out Edgewater Plantation if you're considering apartments. Pet-friendly community with lots of residence-appreciation type stuff and community activities going on constantly. Right on the Wando, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 AM

39 posts, read 131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Belle Hall Apartments? Great location within walking distance of a lot...but you should check out Edgewater Plantation if you're considering apartments. Pet-friendly community with lots of residence-appreciation type stuff and community activities going on constantly. Right on the Wando, too.
I was on apartmentguide.com yesterday and saw Edgewater. Seems like a nice complex.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 AM

26 posts, read 66,104 times
You can find a nice home in the mid to high $200's in Mt Pleasant if you buy now while the prices are still down, the demand and lack of building is going to make prices increase in the future. So, in my opinion if you rent for a year you may have to pay more or buy less of a home, try renting on a month to month and look for a deal in the meantime.

Also, you should consider James Island as it is closer to downtown and close to the beaches, has great schools, less traffic, etc. You will find that people that live on James Island venture downtown, Mt Pleasant, Kiawah, Johns Island, etc, and we do have our own JI County Park that is awesome, too, compared to those that live in Mt Pleasant and never venture over the bridge.

I have lived here my entire life, over 40 years on James Island. I have been a Realtor for the past 28 years and own the RE/MAX in Mt Pleasant, and have even lived in Mt Pleasant for about 9 months one time when I first got married in Rivertowne where my wife had a home. I sell all areas and have and think Mt Pleasant is great but that there are other options to explore as well. Take some time, Ride around and get a feel for the area. Good luck !!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Belle Hall Apartments?
no... I'm referring to Belle Hall Plantation, housing, off of longpoint rd down behind the wafflehouse

Belle Hall Apts are across Longpoint Rd IIRC

I have a cousin that's lived in Belle Hall Plantation for many years now, we were visiting.

lots of nice places in MtP, it's just too busy for me...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWertan View Post
You can find a nice home in the mid to high $200's in Mt Pleasant if you buy now while the prices are still down, the demand and lack of building is going to make prices increase in the future. So, in my opinion if you rent for a year you may have to pay more or buy less of a home, try renting on a month to month and look for a deal in the meantime.
you must be a realtor that hasn't been told the cats already out of the bag... 1 million more forclosures are about to be revealed, 3 million more right behind that... it'll be 20 yrs before housing starts appreciating again unless they start bulldozing down some of the supply... housing values are still dropping, even here

I understand u have a few renegade realtors that have up'd their prices to try to fool the market, but anyone paying attention knows better... rentals are going up in price, not home sales

Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWertan View Post
Also, you should consider James Island as it is closer to downtown and close to the beaches, has great schools, less traffic, etc. You will find that people that live on James Island venture downtown, Mt Pleasant, Kiawah, Johns Island, etc, and we do have our own JI County Park that is awesome, too, compared to those that live in Mt Pleasant and never venture over the bridge.
Less traffic? Be honest now...traffic is HORRIBLE on JI and it's not getting any better. And if you want to drive over to Folly during the summer, go early so you don't get caught in the Folly Road parking lot. Also, if you live anywhere near the JICP, you can pretty much be guaranteed that you'll have a hard time getting to your home after work throughout the month of December due to the Holiday Lights.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP80 View Post
I was on apartmentguide.com yesterday and saw Edgewater. Seems like a nice complex.
It's pretty awesome ... a little secluded ... a mile off of Long Point Road, but pretty convenient to things as well.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:19 AM

20 posts, read 58,778 times
Hi CP80...I can tell you that I was here on City-Data for over a year...going through the SAME thing!!! MP, Summerville...MP Summerville?? There were so many people on this board that helped!

We live in MP and love it. Of course, it's a personal opinion, but it is SO worth the move for a little extra $$. MP is so nice! We ended up choosing here specifically for the school system. The high school here even got an award for National Principal of the Year last year. Also, you are close to the beach which is much more convenient!! Depending on where one works, traffic can be a challenge from Summerville. One last note: I have family members that moved to Summerville, we moved to MP...they kept spending all their time here...for personal reasons, they didn't like Summerville and have sinced move here to MP. Hopefully this helped!! GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:31 PM

39 posts, read 131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grose58 View Post
Hi CP80...I can tell you that I was here on City-Data for over a year...going through the SAME thing!!! MP, Summerville...MP Summerville?? There were so many people on this board that helped!

We live in MP and love it. Of course, it's a personal opinion, but it is SO worth the move for a little extra $$. MP is so nice! We ended up choosing here specifically for the school system. The high school here even got an award for National Principal of the Year last year. Also, you are close to the beach which is much more convenient!! Depending on where one works, traffic can be a challenge from Summerville. One last note: I have family members that moved to Summerville, we moved to MP...they kept spending all their time here...for personal reasons, they didn't like Summerville and have sinced move here to MP. Hopefully this helped!! GOOD LUCK!!! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for your reply! It's nice to see that people are happy with their decision to live in Mt. Pleasant. We are so excited for our trip down! We have seen so many photos and videos online of Mt. Pleasant and we have fallen in love. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in person.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:45 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Unless you are going to grow your own food and aim to be self sufficient, I think paying the gas prices to get to Mount Pleasant and Charleston would QUICKLY make Summerville the more expensive option.

Our elected officials in Washington (except for people like Ron Paul) haven't shown any signs ot being responsible with our tax dollars OR our currency. The more Ben Bernanke in the FEderal Reserve prints money to bail out his friends and foreign banks and governments and expands the money supply, the less your money will buy. As I write this we are near $4 per gallon for Premium and well above $3.50 for regular.

If you live in Summerville and want to head to Mt. Pleasant to Whole Foods twice a week at $3.75 per gallon if your car gets 20 miles to the gallon, at an approximate 40 mile one way distance, you are looking at a $30 expense per week just for gas and this does not include anything other than your cost from point A to Point B and back two times in a week and that is only if the cost of gas does not go any higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area