Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 63,491 times

Advertisements

We have pretty much determined we want to relocate to summerville area. Hopes to do it by next summer (sooner if I can do anything about it).

What area of SVille would you recommend for a family with 3 kids (8th, 6th and 1st) I have seen many stats on schools, but would like to hear from people who have kids that have been to diff. schools and what they liked better (example: my kids have been to 3 diff. schools here in Green Bay and they are all liberal brain washing crappy schools, the best so far has been the one they attend now)

I have not found any pages that show what the kids test scores are like, I feel this is something to know as it reflects the teachers and how well the school is.
Anyone know of a page?

How is the golf? Many Frisbee golf areas?

Family activities (minor league baseball? etc)

How is the Park and Rec dept for kids sports like little league, softball etc?

Hole in the wall bars? night clubs? My wife and I are young (30s) but we hate the club scene (here anyway, bunch of wanna be _____ fill in the blank)

Unemployment? The real deal, non of the sugar coated crap the govt feeds you, the real number if anyone knows.

Local govt? Underwater and sinking? Doing well?

I have scanned Craigslist for rentals and everything, it seems not many for summerville though... how is the rental situation? Rent to own?

My father in law is stuck on Greenville (he is a avid frisbee golfer) what can I tell him is better about sville to make him change his mind haha.

Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM

160 posts, read 311,616 times
We are off Ladson Rd. in Summerville and like it here. It is convenient to N. Chas. , Downtown Summerville, Goose Creek, I-26, etc. I do not know which school district we are in yet. My baby is not in school yet.
I have heard good things about Dorchester Dist 2 though.
Don't know about the clubs around here but we like the Shem creek area on Mt P for a date night. Have some good seafood and a few drinks while watching boats or wildlife on the water. We are laid back people. I am sure there are a few good haunts around here but have not found them yet.

We are close to Wannamaker park in Chas Co. so we like that one. It has a BIG water park as well.

Rental houses in Summerville seem to go fast. You get more for your money here real estate wise I think.

Hope someone else can help with your other questions.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
I have not found any pages that show what the kids test scores are like, I feel this is something to know as it reflects the teachers and how well the school is.
Anyone know of a page?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The website www.greatschools.org will have the info. you are looking for on ANY school - public or private. This includes test scores. (I used to teach high school and middle school.)

Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcat View Post
We are off Ladson Rd. in Summerville and like it here. It is convenient to N. Chas. , Downtown Summerville, Goose Creek, I-26, etc. I do not know which school district we are in yet. My baby is not in school yet.
I have heard good things about Dorchester Dist 2 though.
Don't know about the clubs around here but we like the Shem creek area on Mt P for a date night. Have some good seafood and a few drinks while watching boats or wildlife on the water. We are laid back people. I am sure there are a few good haunts around here but have not found them yet.

We are close to Wannamaker park in Chas Co. so we like that one. It has a BIG water park as well.

Rental houses in Summerville seem to go fast. You get more for your money here real estate wise I think.

Hope someone else can help with your other questions.

Thanks for the response noah. We are not able to buy our credit is a shy to low, working on that though. Your date night sounds like what we look for, really dont like the clubs, but could be fun to hit everynow and again i suppose.

Thanks for the website as well to the other poster.

Anyone have anything for the other questions or able to add on to this?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
I live in Summerville, have for nearly 20 years, and the wife and I are looking to move out further away from here, it is getting to crowded.....

We have the best overall government school district in the area, the government is not going under most of the people in this area are fairly conservative....

My three favorite whole in the walls are, in order, O'Lacy's, Montreax and The Ice House. The wife and I are both Winos from way back and love Accent on Wine on Main Street....

Frisbee Golf is played in some of the Downtown parks, but I have not seen any games in Summerville though I am sure Azalea park is big enough...

Rentals are really hard to come by, they go fast around here....

Unemployment is mixed, really depends on the field you are in, building trades are down, health care is up most governments are staying the same or adding a few....

Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Well I have been in sales or mgt. my whole working life, just made a switch to a Currier a few months ago for a change of pace... Wife is in the food industry.

Our biggest thing is our kids, do you rec. the public schools? or would you go Private?

I like hearing the conservative part, as I lean that way.

Most people work at Boeing? Or commute to Charleston?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Boeing isn't a major contributor yet, only a few hundred jobs...

Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 PM

would you say a majority of residents travel to Charleston for work?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 PM

370 posts, read 947,578 times
We were relocated from Greenville to the Charleston area 2 years ago. There are things about the Upstate we miss, but Summerville is where we chose to live and it is a great area. There are a good number of rental homes here; more so here than the Upstate. I think you will be fine. Check out Miler Properties or Carolina One for a rental. Lots to do here. Summerville doesn't have a parks & rec dept. yet, but may have one in the future. There seem to be plenty of baseball opportunities between the Summerville Little League, YMCA league and Dixie league. The public schools are OK, but we decided to home school. Good private schools here, too. Good luck to you and I hope your future move works out!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
We were relocated from Greenville to the Charleston area 2 years ago. There are things about the Upstate we miss, but Summerville is where we chose to live and it is a great area. There are a good number of rental homes here; more so here than the Upstate. I think you will be fine. Check out Miler Properties or Carolina One for a rental. Lots to do here. Summerville doesn't have a parks & rec dept. yet, but may have one in the future. There seem to be plenty of baseball opportunities between the Summerville Little League, YMCA league and Dixie league. The public schools are OK, but we decided to home school. Good private schools here, too. Good luck to you and I hope your future move works out!
What made you leave Greenville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area