Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times

Advertisements

We're in the process of plotting out a hurricane plan and we're trying to decide which would be worse, trying to find a hotel that will allow pony sized dogs or trying to store enough water for these dogs for an indefinite amount of time if we stayed. (The suggested 1 gallon per every 10 pounds equals 25 gallons of water just for the two beasties.) I'm trying to convince my husband that an RV is a necessity in hurricane preparedness for our family.
My preference would be to ride out a low level storm, but between our location and the dogs I don't think it's realistic.
I see that the preferred evac route is up through Summerville. Is there a better route away from the shore for those of us at the very north end of MP? I see all these little roads on the maps, but they make me uneasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 930 times
You might have trouble finding a hotel or shelter that takes dogs so you want to plan that in advance. Do you have friends inland you can stay with. Twenty five gallons of water would be 250 pounds. That's a huge dog.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotTempest View Post
You might have trouble finding a hotel or shelter that takes dogs so you want to plan that in advance. Do you have friends inland you can stay with. Twenty five gallons of water would be 250 pounds. That's a huge dog.
That's actually the combined weight of the two, although they are only 7 months old and have some way to go.
We left all our friends and family on the West Coast, so staying with family would be a bit difficult. We are in the process now of calling around to hotels to see who would take us in an emergency.
I was joking about the RV, but it actually seems like a good plan the more I think about it.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
That's actually the combined weight of the two, although they are only 7 months old and have some way to go.
We left all our friends and family on the West Coast, so staying with family would be a bit difficult. We are in the process now of calling around to hotels to see who would take us in an emergency.
I was joking about the RV, but it actually seems like a good plan the more I think about it.
Good lord an RV in high winds? LOL!

Most hotels relax their pet policy during hurricanes. Everyone I know has pets and those who don't go to shelters (which now take pets), goes to a hotel and takes their animals with them.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Good lord an RV in high winds? LOL!

Most hotels relax their pet policy during hurricanes. Everyone I know has pets and those who don't go to shelters (which now take pets), goes to a hotel and takes their animals with them.
Thanks, that's really good to know. My dogs are pretty well behaved for (they are just puppies though, so they aren't perfect) but I worry about being turned away due to their size. I hadn't really though about wind and an RV. If we did choose to evacuate I think we would leave early enough to avoid winds, but I guess you never know. Having grown up in earthquake country I can honestly say it does feel good to have some semblance of control over the process of planning, rather than reacting after the fact.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Moderator cut: orphaned, the post you were replying to was deleted

Sitting in traffic in the even of an evac. shouldn't be a problem if the counties along the main evacuation route have a proper plan in place and reverse the east bound lanes of I26. Doubling the lanes makes a huge difference.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area