Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,782,330 times

Advertisements

The new Trader Joe's is scheduled to open on July 29, 2011 in Mt. Pleasant, SC. It is located at 401 Johnnie Dodds Blvd., Mt. Pleasant, SC. 29464. It is located just a "stones throw" from Whole Foods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 AM

859 posts, read 1,365,951 times
We need a happy dance smiley! Can't wait! Haven't been to TJ in 9 years, so it will be interesting to see what's changed.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:08 PM

36 posts, read 74,523 times
I wonder how this is going to affect Whole Food's business. From what I remember of my experience w/ Trader Joe's in California, the prices tend to be lower than WF.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,971,673 times
I've never stepped foot inside (or even laid eyes on) a Trader Joe's. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,079,049 times
We're had a TJs here in Richmond VA for about 4 yrs now and it's been very successful. It's also located a "stones throw" from Whole Foods. The TJs in Mt P appears, from the photo above, to be larger than the one in Richmond.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,924,200 times
Have never been in a TJs....is everything organic, or sold in bulk? Just what is the draw??

Everyone seems excited....please share any favorite items you might buy there. Sounds like it is less expensive that WF so that is a good thing.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:11 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,094,489 times
The Traders Joe in Atlanta did well but did nothing to the Whole Foods business. I went to Trader Joe's a few times and did not FALL IN LOVE with it. Now that it is in my list of grocery stores 10 minutes from home -- maybe i will feel differently.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,945,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have never been in a TJs....is everything organic, or sold in bulk? Just what is the draw??

Everyone seems excited....please share any favorite items you might buy there. Sounds like it is less expensive that WF so that is a good thing.
I'm truly interested in all things Charleston. I read with great interest about neighborhood debates, and the like. This one makes me smile.

We have Trader Joes all around us. I haven't been in one for several years. They're different, quirky, and you will find different things in them than are in the run of the mill grocery. One example is the large selection of nuts and dried fruit. I'm a huge fan of trail mix, and TJ's has the best raw ingredients in (1 or 2 lb) bulk packaging I've found...still...I get my trail mix from Aldis because the frozen berries they have simply cannot be beaten.

In my opinion it does not even come close to whole foods when it comes to high end quality. I call free range beef and chicken etc. high end. I eat it, just not often. So, enjoy your exploration. Anything new is fun, and you won't be dissapointed if you're looking for something a little different.

I'm a different kind of guy when it comes to these things......and after spending a week house hunting, you really don't want to know how Becky and I feel about the whole Summerville-Mt. Pleasant debate.....BWAhahahahaha

Old 07-22-2011, 07:26 PM

348 posts, read 851,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

I highly recommend the orange mandarin chicken. With that, you might as well also get TJ's vegetable eggrolls.

Not everything is organic, nor are items sold in bulk. I think the draw is that there is a decent selection of eclectic foods at decent prices.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:14 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,924,200 times
Thanks for the tips, everyone. After the new opening crush, I will check it out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area