Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

70 on 95/495 beats 55 anytime... but not if one is standing still, bumper to bumper.

Might enjoy the change in scenery as well.. so might give it a whirl

Going down to Chas has never/rare been a problem for 95/495, but going towards NYC it happens, so might try it next time.

I deviated the last trip down to Chas. right past Raleigh I took 40 towards 17 Wilmington and drove 17 all the way down past Myrtle Beach, Georgetown etc to MP. BIG regret... stupid me did it on a Friday and full of w/e vacationers and mass bumper to bumper. No change in scenery as I saw every t-shirt place, miniature golf, surf/beach shop, ice cream place along the route, 95 scenery is a pleasure. But at least I tried.

Hey I am open to trying another route, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
301 is 55mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Micheal Try the Mountain route once and you will never want to drive 95 again, it is so peaceful and scenic, and very little traffic....

Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Will do OTC.... on the way towards NY for that trip...

I am here in NYC now for another week. Interesting.. but on the way down I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery though it is the same every trip... but relaxing going down.

I always stop at J&R's place.. I enjoy walking up and down the aisles. I do not smoke so not stopping for that. I always pick up some of their peanut logs... I am hooked on them. Last time I picked up a NASCAR hat for my son... the M&M team #18. Do I know NASCAR... nope... but my 2-1/2 yr old would get a kick out of the M&M's on the hat and heck while in the south.... wear NASCAR at the same time

I get asked, did I buy the hat for him for the #18 driver/team or did I buy it for the M&M logo? I also stop some stores at exit 95 the outlet stores.

But coming up to NY I want to get here asap.. little else. But that route 301 etc. might be an enjoyment. Will do one trip and let you know thanks OTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Micheal Try the Mountain route once and you will never want to drive 95 again, it is so peaceful and scenic, and very little traffic....

Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM

There is a JR's on 77 in NC too...

Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Hi OTC,

Well I am a man of my word.
I said I would try that route.
And yesterday I did !!
Thought I would give it a whirl driving back to NYC, but decided to try it yesterday on my trip to Chas. Plus I would have hit D.C. morning rush hour. So thought to try it now.

Took 895 in Baltimore and took the 895 spur and got on 97.
Took 97 to 3 then 301 then 207 to Richmond for 95... for the trip.

BUT................ OTC......... you did not tell me there are traffic lights ... OH GEE WHIZ !!!!!!!!!

Forget the 55 mph... I was sitting at traffic light after traffic light
Would rather take 495/95 and get stuck in traffic/accident, at least it is a few miles maybe. The traffic lights went on and on and on... and 55 mph forget it Then the 55 went down to 45 and then went down to 35 at spots... and again traffic lights... yikes man !! Every light I hit... you came to mind OTC !!

Then I came to the Potomac River and I will say.......... it was MAGNIFICANT !!!!! Crossing it and the view and thinking back to the Revolutionary War etc..... and early settlers in rafts, canoes etc... WOW ... made me so very glad OTC I took your advice. That is some view... all I
can say again is WOW !!!!!!!!!! The river was MAGNIFICANT.

Then the traffic lights stopped once I entered VA and it was a very beautiful road. Reminded me of when I lived in Upstate NY (Palisades Interstate Parkway)... was nice and calm and a nice ride.

Driving to Chas is great... hit the lights first and then forget about them. Going to NYC means hitting the lights last ... not exactly a nice thought... but will try it.

Also I got gas for an amazing $3.13/gal. !!!!!!!!!!

The 800 mile trip me 14 hours... which is usually does.
BUT.... since I made some great time... I actually went shopping here and then along 95 (exit 97 at J&R and exit 95 outlets) that took me 1 hour in total I would say. So the trip would have been a nice quick 13 hours and I will say because of the 3-301-207 route it would have been a very nice 13 hours. Going the 95/495 I could never break the 13.5 hour time, usually taking me 14-15 hours. Not breaking records.. my motto is "Arive Alive", just comparing.

Did not miss D.C. potential hustle and bustle, traffic, accident at all. Depending upon the hour will do that route again... but the 3-301-207 is quite nice and glad I tried it and the Potomac River view was great.

So thanks OTC !

Said I would get back to you

Quote:

Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Micheal, I didn't tell you to take 301 that was someone else, I said to take I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley.....

I hate traffic lights and would never send you on that route.....

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I always went I95 North of Richmond, to Rte 207 to Rte 301, toward Fort AP Hill, cross the Potomoc at the old bridge, up Rte 301 thru Waldorf, MD then on to Rte 3 and follow signs to Baltimore and pickup I95 again in Baltimore.
Here is the culprit.....

Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM

I know OTC... I realized that sorry 'after' I wote it.. but left the house for the day, sorry again OTC.

Will look at your route and see.

But all is all.... glad I took it !

Quote:
Micheal, I didn't tell you to take 301 that was someone else, I said to take I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley.....

I hate traffic lights and would never send you on that route.....

Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 AM

What part of NY are you going to, NYC or somewhere in the upstate?

Here is the route I recommend....

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Br...=1&vpsrc=6&z=6

Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Headed for NYC (Brooklyn) once a month.

Thanks for giving me googlemap and your way ... but your way would add at least 85 miles.. over 10% more driving distance... and no interest to head into PA and go to NYC from there... Harrisburg etc.

Happy with 95 and now the 7-3-301-207 alternative around DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area