Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM

59 posts, read 112,588 times

Advertisements

I am guessing sailors in Charleston don't keep their boats in their yards like motor boaters. Where do you keep your sailboat? Public or private marina? Yacht club? Up in Charleston or down by the beaches? Are there sailing clubs? I'm not a racer but a day sailor and cruiser. Don't have my own boat just yet but expect to in a few years.

Found this great link Sailing Clubs in Charleston, SC | Sail Charleston but also hope to hear from other sailors.

I sailed with an ASA club up here (No. Vermont) that has a membership and you can use any of their boats. I also see there are fractional ownership options around.....although for the price you could have your own boat.

Hope to connect to a lovely sailing community, even without my own boat. I make a great helmsman (person ), 1st mate, deck hand and/or reluctant galley wench.

Ahoy!
DLK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
Lots of sailing around here....

Check out the Charleston Power Squadron also...

Lots of boats for sale too....

Stono marina used to be a good place to keep boats fairly inexpensively....

Lots of other marinas around here....

I have a friend that worked at the Rimley Point Marina, he had a 32' power boat for sale that was docked there too, not sure if it is still available, he has too many boats including two sail boats and a small power boat....,

Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 AM

17 posts, read 45,787 times
Default Sailing, marinas, and options

You might consider 2 options:
CORA, Charleston Ocean Racing Assoc. and the College of Charleston Sailing Center. For a nominal fee (I think it's about $400/yr), you can use the sailboats at CSA almost anytime you would like. Great folks run that organization and you would more than likely be able to network from there quite easily. The Power Squadron is a good organization and has cruising rallies, but not sure what the story is if you don't have your own boat.

As far as marinas, there are plenty of slips to lease, as well as boat racks for storage. The currents in the rivers nearer the harbor can have some fierce current at their peak, so we prefer slips slightly inland. Having kept our boat at Patriots Point, I would say there is current to deal with and wake from passing container ships. Not too bad, unless you live aboard. The City Marina on the Ashley doesn't have the cargo ships, but lots of what my husband calls "lbfb"...little bitty fishing boats..that don't understand NO WAKE. But it is the preferred marina for snowbird liveaboards who want want to enoy downtown activites while they are here. We like IOP (Isle of Palms) for it's proximity to the beach, barrier islands, golf, and restaurants.
Some folks trailer their boats to a storage facility near their preferred boat ramp. There are so many creeks and rivers to explore here and the fishing is awesome. Weekly races among the clubs held in the harbor, so you may be able to pick up a crew position. Within the housing subdivisions, there are usually covenants that prevent you from parking either your boat or the trailer in view of the street, or even on your own property, so where to keep a boat is something you want to seriously consider before purchasing. Everyone here seems to enjoy the water on some level, so I am sure you will love it and meet many like-minded folks, maybe even some from your own home town!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:10 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,052 times
OTC,,,,where is "Rimley Point Marina"?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:58 PM

Isn't that the name of the one by California Dreaming?

Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 AM

59 posts, read 112,588 times
Will definitely check out your suggestions. Sounds like what I am looking for. I cannot imagine trailering a sailboat. I'd never get the usage out of it that I would want to.

I have to check my cruising logs from my previous trips down the Eastern Seaboard & ICW. Can't remember if and where I stayed in Charleston. I seem to remember being there a night or two and coming ashore for dinner.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow salty dogs as soon as I settle in. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruaduffer View Post
You might consider 2 options:
CORA, Charleston Ocean Racing Assoc. and the College of Charleston Sailing Center. For a nominal fee (I think it's about $400/yr), you can use the sailboats at CSA almost anytime you would like. Great folks run that organization and you would more than likely be able to network from there quite easily. The Power Squadron is a good organization and has cruising rallies, but not sure what the story is if you don't have your own boat.

As far as marinas, there are plenty of slips to lease, as well as boat racks for storage. The currents in the rivers nearer the harbor can have some fierce current at their peak, so we prefer slips slightly inland. Having kept our boat at Patriots Point, I would say there is current to deal with and wake from passing container ships. Not too bad, unless you live aboard. The City Marina on the Ashley doesn't have the cargo ships, but lots of what my husband calls "lbfb"...little bitty fishing boats..that don't understand NO WAKE. But it is the preferred marina for snowbird liveaboards who want want to enoy downtown activites while they are here. We like IOP (Isle of Palms) for it's proximity to the beach, barrier islands, golf, and restaurants.
Some folks trailer their boats to a storage facility near their preferred boat ramp. There are so many creeks and rivers to explore here and the fishing is awesome. Weekly races among the clubs held in the harbor, so you may be able to pick up a crew position. Within the housing subdivisions, there are usually covenants that prevent you from parking either your boat or the trailer in view of the street, or even on your own property, so where to keep a boat is something you want to seriously consider before purchasing. Everyone here seems to enjoy the water on some level, so I am sure you will love it and meet many like-minded folks, maybe even some from your own home town!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 AM

17 posts, read 45,787 times
I'm thinking they mean Ripley Light Marina, Ripley Cove, off the Ashley River. Yes, it is by California Dreaming. Private club that offers some transient slips...I think they only have about 80 slips, and quite a few of those are smaller. There is also a stack storage/launch facility there.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,638,052 times
Im just pickin at ya OTC,,It is the Ripley Light Marina.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:06 AM

Yeah, the CRS was kicking in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area