U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM

16 posts, read 59,806 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about ION Village and Daniel Island with regard to raising a family there, schools, community, etc... We currently live in the northeast, about 20 miles from Boston and are searching for something new, a new lifestyle. We have also considered Hilton Head Island which we love and vacation there every year, but I don't know if I could live there year round. We love the Carolina's both north and south and are looking at both...Charlotte and Raleigh Durham in the North, however we would like to stay near the water as we are now. We would like a community around 30,000 people, with a real solid emphasis on community and family, would probably do the private or parochial school option but would like an area with good schools, very low crime rate, high end homes. We would be willing to spend in the $600,000 to $800,000 price range. We are aware that the best thing to do is to go visit these places, but just trying to do some preliminary research to see if what we are looking for actually exists out there. Keep in mind we are coming from New England where the homes here are older and full of character. We would actually like new construction that has the look and feel of something older and not a brick structure that looks just like the neighbor's house. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give and we also welcome other suggestions that we may not have thought of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 AM

2,527 posts, read 7,413,499 times
Absolutely. Truly stellar communities. I think Daniel Island might have more to offer within walking distance, but in regards to family, crime, and schooling, either would certainly serve you well. I think you'll get more house for your money on Daniel Island, though, but you'd be a slightly farther out from Mount Pleasant, Downtown Charleston, and the beaches if that's any concern.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 30,691 times
Default Ion - Daniel Isle

FYI - We just got back from a trip to Mount Pleasant. We drove through and have been seriously looking at Ion. My husband got annoyed and wanted to leave after driving through Ion saying "This is worse than driving through Dorchester!". The roads were so narrow and it was pretty annoying to maneuver around the cars and construction vehicles on the roads. It was pretty, but overpriced and a little stuffy.
You should check out Dunes West. We spent the day there....it was really family oriented and nice. The amenities were nice, our kids love the water slide. The schools are supposed to be very good. Daniel Island was great too....loved the homes and the little parks all over. I just need to find out more about the schools there. We are moving down from NY next year and we really want to find the right spot for our family. We did go to the beach on Isle of Palms and it was beautiful! Just wanted to give you (fellow yankees but not yankee fans , the heads up on Ion. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,482,485 times
Default I'On Community

CR123 is correct in noting that I'On is quite a confining community in terms of the streets being narrow and homes close together. I'On was developed as being patterned after sections of historic Charleston as well as the Colonial lake section of downtown. You can get an idea of the closeness of I'On from a few photos I have attached. The architecture is fabulous and the location great, but these two qualities comes at a cost in price per square foot. Dunes West is more of a traditional neighborhood in terms of what you will find in many other Mt. Pleasant neighborhoods. Many of the homes in Dunes West are on acre lots, which sets the homes apart from each other and gives a completely different feel than a neighborhood such as I'On. I would not necessarily characterize I'On as being any more "stuffy" than other high priced neighborhoods if the word describes the residents rather than the closeness of the neighborhood.
Dunes West has great amenities but so does I'On. In fact, the pool at I'On is covered in the winter for the enjoyment of the residents. The schools associated with I'On are also very good and the community is quite close to several excellent private schools such as Porter Gaud and Ashley Hall located in Charleston. Both communities have a lot to offer. In terms of afford ability, Dunes West wins out. In terms of convenience to downtown, I'on would win out. As I have pointed out in the past,the Charleston area has a neighborhood to suit almost everyones pocketbook and tastes.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for info on ION and Daniel Island-ion2.jpg   Looking for info on ION and Daniel Island-ion3.jpg   Looking for info on ION and Daniel Island-ion4.jpg   Looking for info on ION and Daniel Island-p4300018.jpg  

Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 PM

2,175 posts, read 2,767,242 times
A "mini I'on" just next door is Braemore. Just a handful of homes but a bit more land and quite the architecture. Across from Braemore is Molasses Creek Plantation, 15 year old homes. As the earliest of the "new" homestock of Mt.P, Molasses Creek homes are on larger lots, some with tidal creek access, varied architectures & all upscale. No community pool or tennis center; you've got Hobcaw as an option to drive to use.
Hibben is building gorgeous homes in a few different areas. Belle Hall comes to mind. You should see these beauties,too.
A very important question to answer before running all over Mt.P (2 zip codes)looking at homes is what kind of immediate neighborhood are you seeking? There are many planned communities with tiered pricing stuctures which tend to segregate by income & family demographics. This isn't negative necessarily but can be confining...or comforting if you want your kids to be part of a community within a community.

And is the ability to get to Charleston/Bridge access a factor? As an ex-New Yorker, I will say that Route 17 traffic is ugly & there IS a rush hour or 2 (even poor Mathis Ferry Road is getting to be tough going).
Come on down; you will find whatever you desire.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM

397 posts, read 983,147 times
Hi there, where are you coming from Boston? My husband is from Wellesley, I'm from NJ, and we moved here 4 years ago, as did my in-laws, any my parents! My parents lived in I'on and really liked it, they made a lot of great friends, and then they sold their home and moved to Park West for a bit more space (ailing grandmother moving in), and they still wish they lived in I'on. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-05-2007 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 10:28 PM

9 posts, read 56,843 times
Hilton Head is a community a little over 30,000 now and has a HUGE emphasis on community. I moved to Hilton Head in 1990 from Long Island and love it. As you know its beautiful and i like the way they have control over the building and keep it from looking like another Myrtle Beach with neon lights etc... There are some good private schools here as well. Remember its only 2hrs to Charleston, 40 min to Savannah 3 hours to Charlotte, 5 to Raleigh 4 1/2 to Atlanta so its very easy to go for a quick weekend.
As for your price range in houses, that should give you a nice porfolio of homes on Hilton Head especially in todays market. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting I wish you the best with whatever you decide. I have not been to Daniel Island in a long time but i remember it to be quiet.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-05-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 AM

7 posts, read 25,100 times
I just moved to Dunes West from Seattle. I have a family of 5, but college-aged student stayed in Seattle. My family absolutely loves it here. I spent 1 yr. with a realtor on and off before I finally took the plunge and bought here. My business partner lives in Daniel Island, so I've spent time at both locations. I also browsed I'on and all the other developments in the area. The advice you're getting from all of the above is spot on. Daniel Island is very nice, and like I'on, a bit expensive compared to Park West, Dunes West, and Rivertowne Country Club. However, it also has a tight-knit community feel. It needs to mature a bit in terms of getting good restaurants and more variety of stores, but part of the controlled growth fosters the feel of community. Dunes West has a security gate at both ends, beautifully maintained common grounds, and a wide-range of home prices, designs, and nice amentities. It also has a golf course like Daniel Island and Rivertown. Park West is also very nice, but does not have a golf course and I don't think it has a boat launch (not sure about the boat launch).

Anyway, my recommendation is to spend quality time looking at the various neighborhoods, research the schools (those that serve DW are pretty good and I hear that there are also good private schools), and then, if you can, talk to people who live in Daniel Island, I'on, et al. Our decision ended up being influenced by being able to buy a 3/4 acre land parcel, large home, with complete jungle behind the house with two ponds for a lot less than I would have paid at Daniel Island. Also, my highschool student's high school option was much better (Daniel Island has either a private Catholic high school option or they get bussed to Hanahan), my daughter's middle school is right down the road near Park West, and our drive to the ocean beaches is quick and painless. And another thing I've learned...most of my neighbors are from the northeast and midwest--LOL.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area