Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 PM

185 posts, read 567,355 times

Advertisements

This is for any one who moved from Pennsylvania to the Charleston area. I am currently living in a small town about an hour outside of Pittsburgh and my fiance and I are considering moving to Charleston. I would like to hear about PA peoples experience with moving to South Carolina and more specificly Charleston. Has the experience been a good or bad one? What are some of the major differences that you've noticed? Is any thing similar? Is there plenty to do for people in their 20's? Is the weather as wonderful as you had hoped? How are the winters?

I am interested in hearing peoples stories about making the move!!! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
I lived in Philly for 3 years prior to moving down here. We miss the cold sometimes during winter, but aside from that we love the Charleston area. Charleston has nearly everything to offer that Philly did (save perhaps the NFL), but in a much smaller, much friendlier town-like setting.

The weather does get truly hot at times, but it's just like the PA winters. Most people stay inside up there during that month or so of extreme cold, well, down here, most people stay inside during that month or so of extreme heat. Aside from that, you have roughly 6 months of beach weather.

There are tons of things to do. You've got minor league baseball, major league soccer, ice hockey, international tennis tournaments, concerts, nightlife, bars where you can sit on the creek and watch the shrimp boats go by into the sunset, etc. You really do have to visit.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 AM

185 posts, read 567,355 times
I have wanted to move south since I was about 13 y.o. and I definately want to live close to the ocean. It seems like Charleston has exactly what I'm looking for. I certainly don't mind the heat but cold weather is like my kryptonite. When winter comes around I end up not going out very much, I hate to drive and I become pretty depressed. Northern winters are very depressing and I personally think that snow makes everything very unattractive. I compare winter to death, everything is gloomy and theres no life (animals and plants). I just can't wait to get out of here!!!

DJShymansky- While I'm not really into sports, everything else you mentioned sounds perfect. I would love to sit outside watching a harbor or the ocean while reading a good book and enjoying the weather. I just hope I have the chance to make the move soon!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
I have wanted to move south since I was about 13 y.o. and I definately want to live close to the ocean. It seems like Charleston has exactly what I'm looking for. I certainly don't mind the heat but cold weather is like my kryptonite. When winter comes around I end up not going out very much, I hate to drive and I become pretty depressed. Northern winters are very depressing and I personally think that snow makes everything very unattractive. I compare winter to death, everything is gloomy and theres no life (animals and plants). I just can't wait to get out of here!!!

DJShymansky- While I'm not really into sports, everything else you mentioned sounds perfect. I would love to sit outside watching a harbor or the ocean while reading a good book and enjoying the weather. I just hope I have the chance to make the move soon!!!
I am thinking you might like it over the bridge in Mt Pleasant. It is a great hip upcoming area. It has a wondrful outdoor area of high end stores. But, it was done just so nicely with brick and quaintness. From there it is just a short ride to the ocean beaches. ( there are some books out with the stories of the towns, by one author)
I can only tell you about the Myrtle Beach area and Charleston is further south. Jan through March are about 50 upwards to 70/80 degrees. You can get out and walk, enjoy the days. You only need a light coat, or sweater.
Sometimes not even either of those. Jan. is a bit damp, rainy.......but, better then our January's in Pa. As much as I like Pa. I do enjoy getting away the harshest winter months. Always visit the place you want to call home first.
It has to feel right to you. As much as I liked Charleston........for myself I'd be over the bridge in Mt Pleasant. That felt good to me............
Best of luck on your decision.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,331 times
Yeah, coming from PA, Ampetry won't have much need of sweaters or coats for the first year in SC. I remember hitting the beach in January in shorts and a sweatshirt, and watching everyone else bundled up in full winter coats.

It was about 45 degrees.

Of course, now I find that cold as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM

205 posts, read 946,692 times
ampetry,
Cold weather = kryptonite! Love that! I agree with everything you said about winter. I am a summer soul. If the temp goes below 65, everything inside me changes. So living in NH is NOT a good thing for me (except June-August). Have paid my dues in the north and hope to be moving south in the next 18 months.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM

17 posts, read 88,932 times
I had lived in PA for 23 years, until I got married and moved somewhat south to MD. Like you, I can always remember wanting to live by the beach, away from the crazy winters we experienced. Unlike SC, we had 6 months of winter, and I would trade it in a second for the 6 months of beach weather!
Well, after visiting Charleston a couple a times, my husband was finally bitten by the southern charm bug as well. For all the lucky people that call this place home....we are so, sooooo jealous! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area