U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 PM

1,936 posts, read 3,155,994 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching the show "I'm Alive" about a couple of guys that went hiking in Florida. The one guy decided not to put on his snake boots because he didn't feel like dealing with lacing them, etc. He ended up getting bit by, I believe, a diamondback, or some bad snake like that. He spent 17 days in the hospital and had something like 30 viles of anti venom injected into him.

This got me thinking about here because going to Francis Marion National Forest is on my list of things to do. When walking in the forests around here, do people typically wear snake boots, gaiters, or chaps? I always stay on the path when hiking, but I know that snakes might be in the paths. Is there a certain time of year that it is better to go to Francis Marion? Do the bad snakes not come out as much in the cooler weather? What else should I be concerned about when we eventually go to Francis Marion? We didn't have any "bad" snakes where we moved from and the only wildlife we ran into in the woods were deer and moose. There were black bears and bobcats in the woods, but we never ran across any. I never thought about snake protection until I watched this show.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 AM

7,934 posts, read 15,572,218 times
I don't normally wear them on the trails, if I am going to be walking off trail I do though...

Old 11-09-2011, 04:32 AM

35,842 posts, read 45,988,935 times
Anyone who goes traipsing off in snake country (or mountain lion country, or grizzly country) and doesn't take the appropriate precautions deserves to aid in the upgrading of the gene pool.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 AM

856 posts, read 1,141,287 times
We generally wear heavier hiking boots in FM. Depending on where you are, you're more likely to be assaulted by ticks!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM

259 posts, read 487,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Anyone who goes traipsing off in snake country (or mountain lion country, or grizzly country) and doesn't take the appropriate precautions deserves to aid in the upgrading of the gene pool.
So lets see...I need to gear up before I even walk outside around here?

This little guy was just outside my door.

I see these too. If you are walking in woods wear the proper gear. If you happen on these as I do just strolling around your neighborhood or opening your door: be vigilent and watch where you step!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM

1,936 posts, read 3,155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post

I see these too. If you are walking in woods wear the proper gear. If you happen on these as I do just strolling around your neighborhood or opening your door: be vigilent and watch where you step!
Willow, what kind of snake is that?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM

35,842 posts, read 45,988,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post

Which is essentially what I said. You obviously know what you're doing and pay attention to your surroundings. Many don't.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM

9,995 posts, read 16,942,689 times
Ok, sounds like my kind of folk!

I killed a diamond back who had slithered into my home, had my 10-year old son cornered. I took a shovel and made snake jelly out of the damned thing!

Then, I was told instead of killing it, I was supposed to put a cover of some type on it, and call animal control. Look, it was MY house and MY CHILD! what kind of mother stands there and coddles a snake who's threatening her child? One less snake for mankiind!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM

259 posts, read 487,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Willow, what kind of snake is that?
That is a copperhead...be very carefull....

Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,858,496 times
I'm a Survey Crew Chief. We probably spend 80% or our time in the woods. (It isn't all standing on the side of the road holding a stick) and I almost NEVER wear snake boots unless it is just flat out FREEZING outside (yeah .. I use them more as insulated boots than snake boots).

This year started off with me worried. I've got a small 6-acre HOA lot behind my house that is nothing but woods in my subdivision.

Between February and April this year I killed 7 copperheads in my back yard. My neighbor killed 2.

But at work ... all year ... other than a couple of black snakes we've seen ONE copperhead.

Sometimes it's just luck I know. But it struck me odd how FEW snakes we saw this year when we usually see a dozen or so rattlers and copperheads and moccasins.

The best advice is to be careful and watch where you are going. Step PAST the log ... don't just place your foot on the other side of it. Never sit on a stump or log if you haven't checked around (and under it if possible) etc etc.

You can't go wrong if you wear the snake boots. But IMHO I don't think I'd go spending extra $$ to get a pair. Just stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area