U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM

467 posts, read 894,544 times

Advertisements

Is there a reason why houses in Planters Pointe seem to be have lower asking prices than most of the other neighborhoods? We have driven through there several times and it looks nice to us. Maybe it's not as fancy as Dunes West but still it seems like a pretty nice place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM

315 posts, read 563,839 times
Beware of Mt P. Its pretty and welcoming on the outside. But on the inside? Good luck. Stuck up, intolerant, racist city. Woman just got thrown in jail for 6 days by the cops because her yard was deemed to messy by her neighbors. Sums up the attitude of the whole place.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 PM

44 posts, read 99,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
Beware of Mt P. Its pretty and welcoming on the outside. But on the inside? Good luck. Stuck up, intolerant, racist city. Woman just got thrown in jail for 6 days by the cops because her yard was deemed to messy by her neighbors. Sums up the attitude of the whole place.
Her drive way was full of **** for over a year. She recieved multiple complaints from the city. If she can't afford the upkeep on the home then she should move. Plain and simple. If I had to guess you live in a trailer with washing machines and broke down cars throughout the yard.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM

467 posts, read 894,544 times
Well I would have to see the house for myself but it does seem pretty harsh. I would think a fine would be enough.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,374,631 times
Barbara, she was fined, and ignored multiple orders to appear in court. Unlike what some people would have you believe she was jailed for failure to appear, not having a messy yard.

Regarding your question, there are lots of houses for sale in other subdivisions at the same price per square foot as Planter's Pointe. Dunes West seems more expensive because there are so many more houses for sale, but you can actually find houses at the same price point per square foot in both subdivisions. I noticed a few neighborhoods that seem to be recovering more quickly, so you may pay more for the same house.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:36 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,412,548 times
There was a fine. There were also court ordered appearances. The original violation was from December 2010 which stemmed from an earlier complaint, primarily dealing with the stored sheet metal/scrap metal in the front yard and driveway, and nothing had been done about it since. I can absolutely feel for that woman, after everything she seems to have gone through, and I'm glad people turned out to help her when they found out what was going on. But this was absolutely not a case of "we don't like your yard, now you go to jail". There was over a year's worth of delays, skipped court appearances, failure to pay fines, etc., at the end of which the police officer's hands were tied.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt View Post
Her drive way was full of **** for over a year. She recieved multiple complaints from the city. If she can't afford the upkeep on the home then she should move. Plain and simple. If I had to guess you live in a trailer with washing machines and broke down cars throughout the yard.
No, it wasn't. She had unused shingles on her roof. And she kept scrap metal, to pawn, in HER PRIVATE yard for pawing to get money. Tell me exactly how that endangered her neighbors?

But, you seem to have the Mt P attitude correct: If you can't afford to keep up with our standards, get the fu** out.

Well, THATS me. I can't keep up with the arrogant, selfish, cruel standards of self entitlement of Mount Pleasant, so I'm getting out.

BTW, how would you suggest she move? Shes broke. She was trying to avoid foreclosure. Unlike most Mt P residents, her money doesn't grow on trees. How would she buy a new place? You do know that not ALL Mt P residents have a 2nd home or $1,000,000 in the bank to play with.

No, I dont live in a trailer. I live in Mt P. Remember, there are no trailers or black people in Mt P, just ask a resident. If you must know, I live in Seaside Farms until May when I move to a place where neighbors dont hate each other.

BUT I would LOVE to hear what she did that endangered her neighbors????? I mean, she was jailed on Leeds Avenue, with the killers and rapists of the Lowcountry, so SURELY she must have either stolen or endangered someone's safety to deserve such an awful punishment right?

But then again, "Not Being Rich" and "Lack of a Beautified Home" seem to be on par with murder to some Mt P residents.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,374,631 times
Barbara, I'm so sorry that you are trying to get an answer to a legitimate question and can't because these ravings have taken over your thread.
Maybe if you wait a little while a repost your question your thread won't be hijacked.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Well I would have to see the house for myself but it does seem pretty harsh. I would think a fine would be enough.
Any fine is accompanied by jail time if you can't afford it. My roommate's dog took a poop outside and he forgot to pick it up. Neighbor called the cops (imagine that, rather than just talking to us). Cop was really cool, reminded us that the town of Mt P has a "2 minute poop scoop law" where yes, you could be timed on how long before you pick up dog poop. Anyway, neighbor got irate, demanded the cop "do something about it" and days later complained to city council. Long story short, cop came back, and AFTER apologizing, said he had to write us a ticket ($300) and that he'd try to help us at court. I dont blame him. I blame the neighbor and the overbearing city council that allows laws like this to be on Mt P's books.

This city is NOT welcoming unless you're in their clique of wealth.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Barbara, I'm so sorry that you are trying to get an answer to a legitimate question and can't because these ravings have taken over your thread.
Maybe if you wait a little while a repost your question your thread won't be hijacked.

Barbara, I'm sorry too, I did hijack your question. I'll let the realtor sell the product and leave the thread. Was just trying to warn a potential home buyer of Mt P's ugly side. I've driven through Pt Pleasant, it's a pretty neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area