Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM

37 posts, read 94,909 times

Advertisements

Just moved here about 8 months ago and I have a daughter who will be graduating this year who is extremely interested in Cosmetology, even though I've tried to convince her there's more money to be made in other fields..

She currently goes to Ashley Ridge in Summerville and she would like to stay pretty local. We have started looking at Trident, the Charleston Cosmetology Institute and the Paul Mitchell School but I'm wanting to know if there are better Cosmetology schools around the area or if one of the ones I've already mentioned is the best.

Does anyone know what the average starting income is in this area for someone right out of Cos. school.

It also appears that there is a licensing program that Cos. school grads can take to get State licensed. Is there quite a bit of difference in income between being a grad and State licensed?

Thank you for any info. you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAzzRunner View Post
Just moved here about 8 months ago and I have a daughter who will be graduating this year who is extremely interested in Cosmetology, even though I've tried to convince her there's more money to be made in other fields..

She currently goes to Ashley Ridge in Summerville and she would like to stay pretty local. We have started looking at Trident, the Charleston Cosmetology Institute and the Paul Mitchell School but I'm wanting to know if there are better Cosmetology schools around the area or if one of the ones I've already mentioned is the best.

Does anyone know what the average starting income is in this area for someone right out of Cos. school.

It also appears that there is a licensing program that Cos. school grads can take to get State licensed. Is there quite a bit of difference in income between being a grad and State licensed?

I'm sure there are plenty if you dig a little .. Charleston Cosmetology Institute was the one I was going to point out but I see you already know about it.

If I think of or come across more info I'll post it here.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM

288 posts, read 494,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAzzRunner View Post

For someone fresh out of cos school, she can expect to get a job as an assistant to a full time stylist, and the assistants will usually get paid hourly (probably in the area of $8 - $10). The assistant programs very from salon to salon, but generally, they will do some training throughout and last anywhere from 6-18 months. Now, being in the cos field is about the long haul. Your daughter won't make bucket loads of money, but after a couple of years and once she starts taking and building a clientele, her monthly income can rise quickly if she chooses her salon wisely. Most salons will offer 50% commission on services, and 5% commission on retail product sales. A lot of salon will have skill levels as well, so a Level 1 stylist will charge the least amount of money for services, while a Level 4 will charge the most. So, as she gains experience, her level increases which means she can charge more and will get more money from the services she sells.

How much money she will make will depend on her skill, what salon she works at, how much effort she puts into getting new clients, etc. You have to put in effort and be very out going if you want to make the big bucks in the cos industry. I personally know several stylists who make $70k+ a year back in Ohio, so someone really can make a great living off this career.

Any individual who wants to work as a stylist, nail tech, etc has to be licensed by the South Carolina State Board of Cosmetology. In order to be considered for licensing, a person has to complete 1500 hours of "accredited" training (i.e. at a real cos school) and then take the written and practical board exams. The exams usually occur very soon after graduation from cos school, but SC can be a little slow at processing applications. As far as the schools you mentioned, Paul Mitchel has a really nice location and a good solid training program, but I can't speak from personal or second hand experience.

If you have any questions just let me know!!

SOURCE: my wife is a stylist with almost five years experience in Ohio and SC, and I absorb a lot of information lol.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,301 times
Funny story...

My wife travels out of the country to go home. While there she gets a Paul Mitchell graduate to do her hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area