Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times

Advertisements

Just came across this development looking at the Eastwood Homes site.

What can people tell me about Eastwood and about Swygerts and John's Island.

There isn't much talk on this forum about Johns Island other than it is "rural". What does that mean? Nothing is there? Just looking for basic necessities - grocery store, cvs, gas station, etc. I don't want to live in a place where I have to drive 1/2 hour to get to everything I need on a daily basis.

Also, how far to the beach?

Don't want something out in the boonies. Also I know for resale schools are important. We don't have kids and don't plan to sell, but you never know what life throws at you, so would want to know about that as well.

Anybody know how many homes are going to be in the development, and specifically (for us) how large the lots are and if they would allow a 6' privacy fence out back (for our dog)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
Well, I pass by Swygerts Landing at times, and it is in the middle of nowhere. You will have to travel to get to the grocery, and gas station. Not that far, but there is not much around on John's island. Also, if schools are important you are better off in West Ashley for sure or James Island secondly.
The beach (folly beach) would be about 25 minutes away. Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Anyone else??

Old 05-03-2012, 01:02 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
It was one of the subdivisions I looked at when scouting charleston, and my favorite of the bunch. Not far from the city, close to the beach, close enough to anything else.

I wouldn't seriously consider moving there personally because I just can't do a secluded subdivision again, I'm more of a neighborhood type. Plus I didn't get so far into it as to give the schools a serious look. I take rankings only so far, believe a lot lays on the parents, but still thats only for normal average schools teetering up and down..from what I read on here there must be teachers that can't read, no extracurricular activities, and herion needles in the urinals.

Also the last I heard (and this was months ago) they were having problems securing the land for their later phases.. and even if they do get the land, the amenities are years away at best.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Yes, good point on the amenities. We built a house years ago in an unfinished subdivision that remained that way - unfinished. The tree planting & gaslight street lights never happened. The builder went out of business. There's something to be said for moving into an established neighborhood.

I'm a little confused. You said it was near enough to downtown, the beach & other things, but mentioned you didn't want to move to a "secluded" subdivision.

Where did you end up?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,526 times
Swygerts is literally 7 miles to downtown Charleston yet feels like its out in the country which honestly is one of the things people LOVE about the community. The homesites are huge (in most cases literally twice the size of what you'll find in other communities), your grocery etc. shopping is right around the corner and James Island and downtown is not far at all. In regards to future phases take a ride out there and have a look... the developer is currently building the next 2 phases as we speak. All the clearing is done and they're moving dirt now. I wouldnt worry to much about the community "going under" as the developer carries no debt on the property whatsoever. Granted it's very unusual that there isnt a bank involved but in this case there is not. Amenities will go in during the build out of these 2 phases. It's a great looking community with a bunch of great people. Drive out there, have a look, and knock on some doors. I'm sure you'll find the overwhelming majority of people in the community are very happy with the neighborhood as well as Eastwood Homes.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 AM

Thanks jesposito. Looks like a really pretty place, and love the homes. Love the idea of a new home. Also like that the lots are bigger than most others. We will definitely have a look when we come down in October.

What is the timeframe for the buildout of the next 2 phases? We are not planning on moving down until end of this year, or Spring of next, depending on when our house up here sells.

We'll have to decide when we see how "far out" it feels to us. Can you tell me where the nearest grocery is (location) and CVS? Does Johns island have anything on it - restaurants, shops, etc. or do people have to drive for other things - Home Depot, vet, hospital, medical doctors, dentists, etc.

What are the amenities that are planned for the subdivision?

Thanks for the info.!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:46 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
I live on Johns Island about 3 miles from Swygerts Landing and have 2 good friends who bought homes there. Both are teachers with husbands who are in white-collar/management positions, which is what I think many of the homeowners there are. I absolutely love the floor plans of both of my friends' homes. The yards are large by "subdivision" standards, and both of their backyards back up to woods. In the center of Swygert's Landing is a small lake, and a lightly wooded greenspace. One of the future plans includes a small shopping area on the far backside of the neighborhood and boat landing access across River Rd. I prefer country living and lots of space, but I would consider living in Swygert's Landing if I sold my home. It offers more privacy and space than most subdivisions and the floor plans are unique.
As for location: they are 2 or 3 miles from a shopping center with Food LIon, wonderful pizza/sub shoppe, dry cleaning, ABC liquor store, hair salon, Chinese Restaurant, and a few other places. Across Maybank Hwy. from that shopping center (still about 2.5 miles from Swygert's Landing) is a gas station, CVS drug store, Maria's Mexican Restaurant, a sports bar, Comcast office, Johns Island Chamber of Commerce office, etc. We also have a Dollar General, Family Dollar, another CVS store, Piggly Wiggly, more restaurants, 24-hour Anytime Fitness, large hardware store, etc. You would be 15 minutes from 2 Walmarts, West Ashley (lots of shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, etc., and 10 minutes from all that James Island has to offer. 20 minutes from downtown Charleston and Folly Beach. 5 minutes from Angel Oak tree (attraction). 15 minutes from Charleston Tea Plantation on Wadmalaw Island, and from a winery which hosts many events throughout the year. You would also be 20 minutes from Beachwalker County Park on Kiawah Island (our area's best kept secret - by far the best beach around for privacy, cleanliness, and finding shells, sand dollars, etc.).

There....hope I've given you a clear snapshot of Swygert's Landing and Johns Island from an insider's point of view!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for your response! Can't wait to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area