U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,370,909 times

Advertisements

You probably know this, but finding a realtor with experience in short sales can make the experience so much easier. W bought our home as a short sale, and if we hadn't chosen the ight real estate agent it would have been a nightmare. I understand that new agents need practice, but after you've bought and sold a home or four you know experience means everything!
Bad photos tell me a lot about the agent doing the listing. It doesn't cost anything extra to shoot the house right, so it seems like the listing agent may either have little experience, or little interest in the sale of the house.
The call you had would have bothered me as well. I'd much rather have an agent tell me they were unfamiliar with the listing and answer my questions with "I don't knows" than to have the info gathered inaccuratly on the fly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM

4,281 posts, read 11,423,257 times
As I said earlier about Snee Farm:

The entire Snee Farm area is lovely but as it ages it is becoming shall we say out of date and seedy to some. The local joke is the first thing one moves into their new home at Snee Farm is a dumpster for the remodel.

In 2002 we were sold on the area but as we looked at homes we mostly saw remodel, remodel, remodel leaping out at us. We bought elsewhere in MTP.

Lovely area, but just be careful. Have a through top to bottom home inspection via a tough inspector.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,157,257 times
Yep, we bought an older, 'out of date' home in SF; and yep, we did a bunch of remodeling - the neighbors were joking that we had a secret income source, there were so many workmen over the course of 2 years! But - the house has great bones; probably greater than some of the newer homes being built. And now we have a house that's appreciated tenfold in the 9 years we've been here, and love it.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 PM

638 posts, read 1,465,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Ok so I call up the real estate office that the house is listed with. The pictures on the listing itself are useless, closeup of a kitchen cabinet, small corner of yard, etc. The house had lots of updates like roof, siding, kitchen. I get one of the Realtors on the line (not the actual listing agent) and ask about the house. Here's kind of how the conversation goes:

RE: That house is sold, a while ago.
ME: Well it's a fairly new listing and it's listed as active.
RE: No it's already sold.
ME: Here is the listing # and it's very recent, I'm pretty sure it's active.
RE: Oh here it is, it is active, (then proceeds to read off the information from the same web page that I've
already looked at several times).
ME: I am looking at the same page.
RE: I think it may be a short sale. (1st thing it says on the listing is short sale).
ME: Yes I know, with a negotiator in place.
RE: I'll see if we can can get better pictures since the house is empty.
ME: It says the house has tenants with a lease due in July 2013.
RE: Maybe that's why he couldn't get better pictures.
ME: The house was empty when the pictures were taken.
RE: I can call the listing agent and have him give you a call.
ME: No that's OK I left him a message yesterday, but he didn't get back to me yet.

Clueless. At that point I just gave up. I made it a point however, to remain very polite and nice during the entire conversation and hide any frustration. Maybe it's just me but it this normal? How do they get anything done?

Just needed to vent, feeling much better now.
We've been looking at the Mt P area for 5 yrs and have run into the same thing over and over again when calling to inquire about property. I have much empathy concerning your experience with Mt P realtors. We've even made offers on property down there and then lost the agent's interest after the bid didn't finalize... and we went to them simply to write up a contract! Unbelievable.. it's like they sit there waiting for you to come to then to write up offers.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM

467 posts, read 893,522 times
I know exactly what you mean. The listing agent might send me some pictures next week. Total turn off. Here I am ready to do a 12 hour drive at the drop of a hat and this guy can't even get me decent pictures. Keep the house I'm done with it.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM

74 posts, read 113,421 times
Am I allowed to plug an individual realtor here? The realtor who's helping us find our next house is fantastic. She sold us our first two houses in the area, so we've been using her for years. I never deal with the listing agent when looking at a house; our realtor sets everything up herself.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM

4,281 posts, read 11,423,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulisme View Post
Am I allowed to plug an individual realtor here? The realtor who's helping us find our next house is fantastic. She sold us our first two houses in the area, so we've been using her for years. I never deal with the listing agent when looking at a house; our realtor sets everything up herself.
Paul

I believe recommending someone you have done business with would not be against and term of service.

Someone recently asked for home inspectors and names/phone numbers have been flying about. I posted one myself.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM

Any information would be appreciated, especially someone experienced and not shy of short sales or foreclosures. I wouldn't use the listing agent as "my" agent, I just wanted some better pictures and a description of the floor plan. He did say though, that if the house doesn't sell within two weeks, it would go into foreclosure. Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens and perhaps try again if it does foreclose.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,629,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Any information would be appreciated, especially someone experienced and not shy of short sales or foreclosures. I wouldn't use the listing agent as "my" agent, I just wanted some better pictures and a description of the floor plan. He did say though, that if the house doesn't sell within two weeks, it would go into foreclosure. Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens and perhaps try again if it does foreclose.

Thanks!
Maybe the listing agent isn't taking you seriously since you don't have an agent. They like to deal with each other... agents that is..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Actually I did have an agent call on it first and he was told that those were the only pictures there were. Then I thought I would give it a try and got nowhere. Maybe they are trying to hide something, I don't know. It just seems strange to me, but there's always more houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area