U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM

132 posts, read 212,975 times

Advertisements

Hello,

For roughly the same price, I can rent a 1400 sq ft duplex in Park West or a 1700 town home in Ellington Woods. The town home wins on size and a nice wooded backdrop, but we are moving from Miami, don't know anyone in the area and I would love to take my 4 year old to the pool so that she can make some friends - this is only an option with the Park West duplex. Any input from locals would INCREDIBLY appreciated - moving June 1st so I have to jump on something ASAP.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,629,391 times
Ellington Woods is in Dunes West? Dunes West has 3 pools...

Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes, but I was told that in order to use the amenities, I would have to buy into the Club at Dunes West, which is an initial fee of $1000 and then a monthly fee of $68. Since I'm only renting, it doesn't make sense to buy a membership which would only last a year. If I was purchasing the town home, it would of course be a worthwhile investment.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Ok.

What don't you like about the duplex?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM

From what I've seen Park West and Dunes West are both nice and both about the same. Duplexes would be nice because you only have one neighbor. [removed - I really shouldn't read this while I work haha]

Last edited by Robynn; 05-07-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM

2,527 posts, read 7,404,844 times
The beach is 15 minutes away. That said, I'd still probably pick the PW rental and use the pool, assuming the rental amounts are the same. That water will be more refreshing than the ocean come August/September and it's closer.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Ok.

What don't you like about the duplex?
It's about 300 ft smaller, the slanted roofs on the second floor make the rooms have a cramped feel, there is no screen porch and we'd have to park our cars one behind the other.

I just spoke to the club at Dunes West and was told once I buy the membership, it belongs to me and not the unit, and is a lifetime membership as long as I pay the monthly dues. The representative also said that the membership is transferable - now I'm wondering if I could buy someone else's?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarburton View Post
It's about 300 ft smaller, the slanted roofs on the second floor make the rooms have a cramped feel, there is no screen porch and we'd have to park our cars one behind the other.

I just spoke to the club at Dunes West and was told once I buy the membership, it belongs to me and not the unit, and is a lifetime membership as long as I pay the monthly dues. The representative also said that the membership is transferable - now I'm wondering if I could buy someone else's?
Ick parking cars like that would suck.

Does your landlord have a membership that his renters are allowed to use? You'd think it would work like that if he has one, but who knows... hmmm...

Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Nope, the landlord didn't buy into the club, so there's no membership that goes with the unit. I would have to buy my own
There are actually two units in Ellington Woods that I'm between - same building, same size, but one is a 2 bedroom with hardwood throughout and one is a 3 bedroom with carpeting. We'd only need the third room for the rare visiting guest... What to do, what to do...

Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM

Do you have to have the pool in the neighborhood? Maybe someone on here knows a place like another fitness club or something nearby where you could join without a grand initiation fee...? Like a YMCA or something like that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area