Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM

20 posts, read 23,855 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I live in CA, but are very unhappy here. We are Republicans and much more conservative than the majority of Californians. For many years we had to be here as we owned a business in San Francisco and my husbands elderly parents were here too. Now, with the parents having passed and the biz sold we want to move somewhere that is a better fit for us. We have vacationed in the south and always talked about how much we liked it as we tend to fit in better than in CA. Charleston is one of the most beautiful places we have ever seen and since we own and have spent years restoring an 1885 Victorian in CA we thought Charleston area might be a good choice for us. all the beautiful, historic homes. However, we do have 2 large dogs so we would like a home on an acre or two, probably just outside the city.

Are there any CA transplants living in SC who could share their experiences with us? Or anyone living in SC who has any info that would be helpful to us?

Thank you for any advice you can offer us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
"Are there any CA transplants living in SC"

At least 2 that I know of...

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
I'm a California transplant, although there was a stint in Seattle in between. I'm conservative also, and I have to warn you that Charleston itself and at least Mount Pleasant where I live is pretty liberal. It was MUCH more conservative where I lived in orange county than anything I have seen here. Of course, since Seattle is about as liberal as it gets this is still refreshing.
I think you guys would be welcomed here just fine though.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
I think the question should be is a CA. Conservative, conservative enough for SC?

This place is pretty conservative overall, with the exception being the major Metro areas of Charleston and Columbia and maybe even Myrtle Beach.....

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM

To Robynn,
Just wondering where you live in SC and has your experience been positive? What would be some things we should consider before moving to SC?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM

To Roxanneself,
Seattle has changed so much in my lifetime, can't even recognize it anymore. In 2010, a couple from that area visited us, the husband had gone to MBA school with my hubby. It was an awful visit, the couple lectured us about our views on illegal aliens, telling us how sorry they felt for the illegals. When I told them both hubby and I had contracted whooping cough from illegals they were unfazed. They were also upset because we did not vote for Obama and thought he was a terrible President. Needless to say we won't be visiting Seattle again. We have heard that Orange County is changing, we would like to find a place that we could settle for the rest of our lives, we are 60ish. We own a rental house in Hermosa Beach and spent 6 months there in 05 and it is full of progressives, we could not live there.
If we lived in small town just outside Charleston do you think that would be better fit?
Thanks for your response.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM

To Ole Tom Cat,
Gosh, that is a question that never occurred to us. We are Republicans, pretty much we disagree with everything that goes on in San Francisco Bay Area. We liked Santorum and Gingrich for President, but Romney is ok.
Many times in CA we have been in biz and social situations where people have attacked Republicans, everyone here just assumes you agree with them. While we owned a biz we kept our mouths shut, but after I was asked to write a weekly opinion column at our lake house in small town north of SF. I wrote my honest opinion and didn't last even 6 months, they fired me, said I angered too many people. we don't need people to agree with us on every issue, but we don't want to go to a restaurant and have to listen to the owner talk about what morons, racists, etc all Republicans are. What do you think?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
I don't think you'll have too much concern locally. Especially if you're looking at buying land someplace just outside of downtown. There are some very nice places where you can absolutely find the kind of lifestyle you want. I certainly can't speak for everyone you might run across, people do have their opinions and are generally proud to voice them, but I don't think I've ever been called a racist, moron, etc., for being a Republican. Then again I'm 6'7" and a former police officer...so... South Caroina did pick Newt in the Primary, so I'm positive you won't be alone.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Well I would think that they would have kept you around if you angered that many people, that means more people reading your articles....

Just as an OBW I am not a Republican, I am a Libertarian....

I voted for Newt also....

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz

Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappedincalifornia View Post
To Robynn,
Just wondering where you live in SC and has your experience been positive? What would be some things we should consider before moving to SC?
I'm not from CA... sorry if it came across that way.. I just meant I've literally met 2 people from CA. Most of the people seem to come from Ohio or somewhere in the NE.

I've only lived here a few weeks, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about things to consider...it has been good so far though

I do know what you mean about being a near lone conservative living in a mostly liberal state. I have lived in a state like that and while I enjoyed the state, I didn't necessarily enjoy most of the people. You won't have that problem here. Most seem to be conservative with a few liberals... I've seen a couple obama stickers..except in Roxanne's neighborhood I guess there might be more?

I think I heard even Mount Pleasant votes Republican even though there are a lot of people from NE....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area