Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,028 times

Advertisements

I agree....she can collect anything she needs in her back yard but don't take the value of your neighbors property down by being a slob. I know all to well how that feels. Maintain your property and use your garage and the back yard to mask your hoarder tendencies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,028 times
Is OleTomCat a relative???

Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
The Supreme Court still has not issued its decision on this case even though oral arguments were heard in October 2010. Maybe that old blue law will be changed.
Maybe it will, but it is still being enforced today, so I don't think you can say it is out dated, it may be past needing reform but so are some of these laws about aesthetics in your yard...

Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailm View Post
Is OleTomCat a relative???
No not a relative, just an opinionated Libertarian like it says under my name....

Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I still think that police shouldn't be making personal judgments on laws to enforce or not to enforce. If the property nuisance laws were as archaic as the gaming law in SC, that would be one thing, but it is not. I think the gaming law example is not a relevant example.

However, you are indeed advocating for the police to outright ignore the law. The police received a complaint, they followed up on it, wrote a ticket. The woman did not appeal to the court to fight said ticket and did so repeatedly. If the law is unjust, there are avenues including using the justice system. There are judges that can make that determination of the interpretation of the law. So, yes, I think it would be a slippery slope to suddenly charge the police to determine which laws are ones that should be enforced and which ones are not to be enforced.

My primary point is that the police are not the body of the legal system that should be making this justification. There are other avenues. Based on your own anecdotal experience, you have seen this in action.
Either police enforce ALL laws equally or they don't. You can't have it both ways and while you may think the gambling law irrelevant, it is precisely to the point. The police already ignore the gambling law consistently and only enforce the yard law here and there in sporadic bursts.

LOL .. so you are saying as long as the archaic law suits you the police should enforce it.

Ok .. thanks .. got it.

Last edited by bulldogrsp61; 05-29-2012 at 04:29 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
I'm surprised that the police have been brought into the issue. In my incorporated village, we have a "code enforcement officer" who is employed by the Village. If a complaint is filed, first the homeowner receives a warning. If the situation is not corrected, then they get slapped with a summons and are required to appear in Village court. If they refuse to appear in Village court or correct the problem, then they are hit with fines which are levied against the property. Just like unpaid taxes, after a certain period of time, the house could be sold at auction for unpaid fines.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Either police enforce ALL laws equally or they don't. You can't have it both ways and while you may think the gambling law irrelevant, it is precisely to the point. The police already ignore the gambling law consistently and only enforce the yard law here and there in sporadic bursts.

LOL .. so you are saying as long as the archaic law suits you the police should enforce it.

Ok .. thanks .. got it.
Don't you even try to put words in my mouth. That's not even remotely what I said and I think that was quite clear. My point has already been made several times and now you have exceeded my patience. I will say this. Property nuisance laws are VERY common and are NOT considered blue laws. You can call them archaic all day long but that doesn't make them so. It's simply one of things that exist when you live in a town. If a person wants to be a hoarder, collect junk, never cut their grass, or any number of things, they can do so living outside of a town. Simple solution.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 AM

296 posts, read 528,135 times
"Neighbors said she already moved in more lawn trinkets over the weekend after she received the town’s letter and has taken to painting polka dots on the privacy fence surrounding her property."

Polka dots on the privacy fence. Gee I wonder if that will catch the attention of anyone. This woman is a jackass. So much for staying under the radar.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:00 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I'm surprised that the police have been brought into the issue. In my incorporated village, we have a "code enforcement officer" who is employed by the Village. If a complaint is filed, first the homeowner receives a warning. If the situation is not corrected, then they get slapped with a summons and are required to appear in Village court. If they refuse to appear in Village court or correct the problem, then they are hit with fines which are levied against the property. Just like unpaid taxes, after a certain period of time, the house could be sold at auction for unpaid fines.
Yeah, similar thing here except she ignored several court summons over a period of a few years. That's actually what put her in jail and not the violation itself. That's the real reason this case made the papers. Otherwise we would never have heard of it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
I thought you might get a kick out of this case (which was dismissed) from a couple of years ago down the road from my house:

Toilet 'art' causes neighborhood conflict | Arts | Indiana Daily Student
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area