Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times

Advertisements

Summering, the thought of telling someone what they can and cannot do on their own property makes me cringe.

Like I said, law is law but if it makes them happy and it isn't against the law, then who am I to say they can't do it.

Some laws I understand but others not so much.

Unkempt yard law is understandable because without a fence, there isn't a good way to keep people from crossing your yard and possibly injuring themselves on roots and overgrown weeds etc.

Abandoned vehicle laws not really understandable IMO. If I have a car and it breaks down I will have it towed somewhere to get it fixed or to my house. If I can't fix it and I can't afford to get it fixed, It will sit where it sits. If it isn't running, it won't be used on the streets and therefore does not need to be registered. It's still my property and it's on my property. Where on my property it sits isn't anyone's damn business. Tell me how parking my broken down car in front of my house instead of behind it infringes on my neighbors right to do something or endangers the general public in any way and I will move it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
<snip>

So long as I am not violating the law <snip>
But isn't that kind of the point? She is violating the law, it's just a question of if the law should exist or not. Right now it does, so she should have to follow it. That same ordinance was presumably in place when she purchased the property. There are plenty of places people can and do choose to live where the rules are less stringent. Lots of people move to MP BECAUSE the strict ordinances keep it looking a certain way.

Is it fair to move to a place that has policies in place and say "I don't like your rules, and I don't care if everyone else moved here because OF those rules. This is America damn it, and I'll do what I want."?

This neighborhood didn't change, she did. How is that fair or right?

As far as the abandoned vehicle, does SC have the option of registering a vehicle as "non-operational"? In both CA and WA for a few bucks you could register a car that way to avoid being in violation.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times
I've said, at least twice, that laws should be followed.

I just think it's stupid to make laws regulating what people are allowed to do and not do on their own property when it does not affect others and I think it's ridiculous for neighbors to complain when other neighbors do things that aren't against the law.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I've said, at least twice, that laws should be followed.

I know, it just took me so long to finish typing my post out that you said it while I was typing. Chalk it up to attention issues on my part.

I just think it's stupid to make laws regulating what people are allowed to do and not do on their own property when it does not affect others and I think it's ridiculous for neighbors to complain when other neighbors do things that aren't against the law.

It's the matter of the word "affect" that I hang up on in this case. Sure, it's not as clear as if a neighbor had a garage band playing until 4am, but there are consequences to living across the street from a junk pile. There's no question that property values are impacted by this kind of thing, and forget about selling your house at all if it's right next to an eyesore.

If someone tried to enact federal laws dictating how we all decorate our lawns I would be all over fighting against it, but this is a city ordinance and there are countless alternatives to living in this city.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
If only she would put as much effort into finding photography work as she does trying to annoy her neighbors and battle the city....

Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
...she was in violation of town ordinances for having an unkempt yard...
Oh well, that certainly clears it up, doesn't it. I'm sure everybody has the same concept of "unkempt", don't we!! God help us. We're overrun with "if you don't think like I do, you think wrong."

Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Oh well, that certainly clears it up, doesn't it. I'm sure everybody has the same concept of "unkempt", don't we!! God help us. We're overrun with "if you don't think like I do, you think wrong."
Just because they didn't put the detailed town ordinances in the article doesn't mean they don't exist... It might be spelled out very particularly as to what's acceptable and what's not. Care to find them? I might later if I'm bored enough.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lace323 View Post
Can you, or any of the relators on here, please post any actual evidence of property value loss?

I have never known anyone to successfully pay less for a property because some other nearby property was in disrepair.
Do you know anyone who chose not to purchase a home strictly because of the state of a nearby house? I have, and I'm sure many others have as well.
If enough people made that same decision then the home owners would either be left to pull the house off the market, or lower the price until the house becomes enticing enough for someone to overlook the mess next door.

How many people choose a home based on the house features alone without considering the surrounding area?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

313 posts, read 709,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
Do you know anyone who chose not to purchase a home strictly because of the state of a nearby house? I have, and I'm sure many others have as well.
If enough people made that same decision then the home owners would either be left to pull the house off the market, or lower the price until the house becomes enticing enough for someone to overlook the mess next door.

How many people choose a home based on the house features alone without considering the surrounding area?
I agree, if I am house shopping and I pull up and there is a house 2 doors down that looks like a bunch of hillbillies live there, I am not buying that house.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if a neighbor could not sell their house at market price and eventually had to cut the price drastically to get the house sold then filed a lawsuit against this lady and against the town of Mt Pleasant for not enforcing the laws.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM

435 posts, read 835,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lace323 View Post
Can you, or any of the relators on here, please post any actual evidence of property value loss?

I have never known anyone to successfully pay less for a property because some other nearby property was in disrepair.
I'm not a realtor but do hold multiple properties. Yea, I have brought property for less due to nearby properties. Also, if you know how appraisal works, you will realize badly kept property nearby will directly affect your property assessment value if they are sold at poor condition for lower price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area