Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,930,009 times

Advertisements

The first one posted was Summerville's law. The second, as bulldog stated, is N.Charleston's version. The city of Charleston's ordinance is below:

Public nuisance means any fence, wall, shed, deck, house, garage, building, structure or any part of any of the aforesaid; or exterior surfaces, including but not limited to exterior doors, door and window frames, cornices, porches, trim, balconies, decks, fences, peeling, flaking or chipped paint, siding, masonry joints, skylights, roofs, or metal surfaces; or any tree, pole, smokestack; or any excavation, hole, pit, basement, cellar, sidewalk subspace, dock, wharf or landing dock; or any lot, land, yard, premises or location which in its entirety, or in any part thereof, by reason of the condition in which the same is found or permitted to be or remain, shall or may endanger the health, safety, life, limb or property, or cause any hurt, harm, inconvenience, discomfort, damage or injury to any one or more individuals in the city, in any one or more of the following particulars:
(1)
By reason of being a menace, threat and/or hazard to the general health and safety of the community.
(2)
By reason of being a fire hazard.
(3)
By reason of being unsafe for occupancy, or use on, in, upon, about or around the aforesaid property.
(4)
By reason of lack of sufficient or adequate maintenance of the property, and/or being vacant, any of which depreciates the enjoyment and use of other properties in the immediate vicinity to such an extent that it is harmful to the community in which such property is situated or such condition exists.
(5)
By reason of endangering the architectural preservation of a structure or its appurtenances or by reason of not being weather resistant or water tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM

Now...no one has been jailed for having a messy yard. That is what the bullish "seabass" couldn't understand a couple of months ago when this was first discussed. The lady was jailed for missing multiple court dates. You don't mess with the court system. Had she gone the legal route the issue would most likely have been averted (as it was in bulldog's case). But when you don't show up for a mandatory court date the Sheriff's office gets a call.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,104,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Now...no one has been jailed for having a messy yard. That is what the bullish "seabass" couldn't understand a couple of months ago when this was first discussed. The lady was jailed for missing multiple court dates. You don't mess with the court system. Had she gone the legal route the issue would most likely have been averted (as it was in bulldog's case). But when you don't show up for a mandatory court date the Sheriff's office gets a call.
Court dates based on her messy yard fine.

Again .. take me to jail and let's see who spends more $.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM

You ARE seabass aren't you? You don't get it either...LOL

Once you miss a court date...no matter what the original charge was...you are then charged with a NEW crime. This lady could have been summonsed to court for j-walking and still been put in jail for not showing up.

You have your agenda. Pitiful.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You ARE seabass aren't you? You don't get it either...LOL

Once you miss a court date...no matter what the original charge was...you are then charged with a NEW crime. This lady could have been summonsed to court for j-walking and still been put in jail for not showing up.

You have your agenda. Pitiful.
YOU are the one missing the point.

If there weren't some obnoxious, unconstituional 'law' there would be no citation and no court date.

Please .. carry on.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,667,426 times
As I was outside today picking up dog poops roughly the size of cantaloupes I was thinking "it's a good thing I'm a nice neighbor, taking care of this mess every day."
See, I never go in my back yard because the first mosquito who sees me rings the dinner bell for all the others in the area. My dogs are fastidious so they go in the right corner of the yard, and they never step in their own poop. My only real reason for cleaning it up every day is consideration for the neighbor on the other side of the fence. If I didn't the smell would waft over into his yard, interfering with his enjoyment of his own property.

I wish one of you guys singing the property freedom song would come move in next door. I'm sure since you are so convinced that I have the right to do what I want on my own land you wouldn't mind if I just let nature take care of that waste at its own slow pace. I would love to hang up my poop bags and scooper forever.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
As I was outside today picking up dog poops roughly the size of cantaloupes I was thinking "it's a good thing I'm a nice neighbor, taking care of this mess every day."
See, I never go in my back yard because the first mosquito who sees me rings the dinner bell for all the others in the area. My dogs are fastidious so they go in the right corner of the yard, and they never step in their own poop. My only real reason for cleaning it up every day is consideration for the neighbor on the other side of the fence. If I didn't the smell would waft over into his yard, interfering with his enjoyment of his own property.

I wish one of you guys singing the property freedom song would come move in next door. I'm sure since you are so convinced that I have the right to do what I want on my own land you wouldn't mind if I just let nature take care of that waste at its own slow pace. I would love to hang up my poop bags and scooper forever.
Actually your dog would only defecate in my yard ONCE.

Same applies for any unattended dog that goes in my yard.

And if the owner is with him and he does it I will pick it up .. follow the owner home, and deliver it to his front door.

Been there .. done that.

I take my dog out in my back yard or down the street, on a leash, and I clean up after him and dispose of the waste accordingly.

If your dog defecates in YOUR yard that is your business.

You do realize that a yard full of dog excrement is a health hazard though, right?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
She liked the fame.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,667,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Actually your dog would only defecate in my yard ONCE.

Same applies for any unattended dog that goes in my yard.

And if the owner is with him and he does it I will pick it up .. follow the owner home, and deliver it to his front door.

Been there .. done that.

I take my dog out in my back yard or down the street, on a leash, and I clean up after him and dispose of the waste accordingly.

If your dog defecates in YOUR yard that is your business.

You do realize that a yard full of dog excrement is a health hazard though, right?
I never said anything about my dogs going into anyone else's yard.
There actually wouldn't be any health hazards involved since no one would be in the yard but my dogs, but that's besides the point. (My dogs waste breaks down long before any pathogens can reach groundwater, so the only risk is if other dogs or people step in the poop that is sitting in the yard.)
Are you saying that you would be okay with that smell coming over your fence every day? Would you leave me alone to enjoy my nasty backyard liberty?

Last edited by roxanneself; 05-22-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I never said anything about my dogs going into anyone else's yard.
There actually wouldn't be any health hazards involved since no one would be in the yard but my dogs, but that's besides the point. (Dog waste breaks down long before any pathogens can reach groundwater, so the only risk is if other dogs or people step in the poop that is sitting in the yard.)
Are you saying that you would be okay with that smell coming over your fence every day? Would you leave me alone to enjoy my nasty backyard liberty?
You are incorrect about the health hazards. Animal waste doesn't break down before it gets into a water supply .. that is a myth and if it weren't dairy farms and egg farms wouldn't have to deal with those, among other, hazards.

I've dealt with the kind of person that leaves piles of dog excrement in their backyard before. You would be no different and just as easily dealt with.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Articl...n_up_waste.cfm

http://www.poopbutler.com/pooper-scooper-health.htm

http://dogtalk101.blogspot.com/2010/...-dog-poop.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1138618.html

I could go on but you can google it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area