Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
I don't care for Brown's NC vinegar BBQ...

There is nothing about the Brown family's vinegar bbq that even remotely resembles North Carolina vinegar based barbecue. We always enjoyed Mama Brown's...just not for the bbq. I know it sounds strange to go to a bbq joint for most everything BUT the bbq.

Their bbq (we've had the MtP and Kingstree versions) is way over sauced with nearly straight vinegar. That isn't how it's done in NC...not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Can't wait to try it anyway. Be a while before I get back home, but it is good to know it is just up the street from my house. Never even got to try Skarney's. Saw that they were opening, then by the time I got back to Mt.P they had closed.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
While I personally do not care much for buffets as most seem to emphasize quantity over quality, I took many out of town visitors to Mama Browns in MTP for a "taste of the south" especially the different style bbq's. It served its purpose well for me.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I guess I'm in the minority that I like their vinegar based BBQ. I always did like mine very vinegary though so I'm guessing that's why I like it. Really, for me it's always been about the sides. I love all the sides and will end up eating a plate of just veggies.

So they doing a meat and three kinda thing now since they don't have a buffet in the new place?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM

780 posts, read 1,542,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I'm in the same boat as Moneil and Southbel. I really hate buffets too, but Trotters has been talked up enough to try, and I guess I'll have to give Mamma Brown's a try too. Hopefully they will do well in that spot. It doesn't seem like a good location to me, since it's kind of hidden and not easy to get to. Hopefully they have enough of a following they can overcome any location difficulties.
Skarney's was absolutely repulsive, so hopefully it was just their food quality that caused the failure and not location.

If you go to Trotter's on Friday evening, be prepared to drop $29.95 for their seafood/prime rib buffet. The weekend breakfast buffet is nice. Omlettes and crepe's cooked to order.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
If you go to Trotter's on Friday evening, be prepared to drop $29.95 for their seafood/prime rib buffet. The weekend breakfast buffet is nice. Omlettes and crepe's cooked to order.
yeaa it was nearly $120 the last time I took my wife and daughter there for the Friday eve seafood buffet... Trotters is a good restaurant, but it isn't that good IMHO and is too expensive to make it a regular thing for me. It'd be different if I thought it was worth that price tag, but I don't.

we eat out often, it seems like all the restaurant prices have gone way up like they are trying to make what they can NOW instead of banking on returning customers... there's several places I don't think are worth nearly as much as they charge and we've eliminated off of our "regular" list...

Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,669 times
cape, being raised here I grew up with mustard based bbq... we were always taught anything vinegar, good or not, is eastern NC style bbq... I even saw a BBQ map on a news site one day that seperated regions by bbq styles and it showed NC as vinegar too...

this part of the southeast has always been known for it's mustard based that the Germans brought here a few centuries ago... BBQ History*|*South Carolina Barbeque Association

they actually came into this area where I live, what is today known as Dorchester... many off of the boats a couple miles from me at the state park, I am German so there's a possiblity I've been eating mustard based bbq for many more than the hundreds of years it's been here... lol ... could have been my great great great great great great great grand uncle that brought it here!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I'm in the same boat as Moneil and Southbel. I really hate buffets too, but Trotters has been talked up enough to try, and I guess I'll have to give Mamma Brown's a try too. Hopefully they will do well in that spot. It doesn't seem like a good location to me, since it's kind of hidden and not easy to get to. Hopefully they have enough of a following they can overcome any location difficulties.
Skarney's was absolutely repulsive, so hopefully it was just their food quality that caused the failure and not location.
Mama Brown's definitely has a following. The employee I talked to said they didn't advertise that they had opened and they had so many people that they were running out of everything. I talked to 3 people while waiting for our food and they were all regulars from when they were in Mt. P before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So they doing a meat and three kinda thing now since they don't have a buffet in the new place?
You can get small, medium, and large plates. Small has 1 side, medium 2 sides, and large 3 sides. You can also buy sides. I think the price was around $1.50 for the sides. I was also told by the woman that took my order that it is all you can eat. I should have asked for more details on that. Now I am curious if it is just the sides you originally ordered with your meal, or if you can try different sides.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
cape, being raised here I grew up with mustard based bbq... we were always taught anything vinegar, good or not, is eastern NC style bbq... I even saw a BBQ map on a news site one day that seperated regions by bbq styles and it showed NC as vinegar too...
South Carolina has a pretty sizable vinegar based bbq region. Some of what I've tried here in SC is pretty decent...the Brown family's recipe/technique isn't quite to the "decent" level. I would never place their bbq in the "North Carolina" vinegar barbecue category.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 PM

68 posts, read 195,760 times
what is trotters? dont tell me its a seafood buffett!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area