U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 AM

98 posts, read 205,165 times

Advertisements

Our house is on the market and we are wanting to relocate to Charleston, SC when it sells.

I've been looking at HOA covenants and generally they list (2) pets. I have 2 miniature dashchunds and my 83 year old Mother who lives with us has a small toy fox terrier. (All are mostly inside dogs and we are extremely responsible - cleaning up after our pets, obedience trained, etc.)

This puts us over the limit. Does anyone know if there are any cases where special consideration is given based on size? Paying extra in HOA fees?

Otherwise we are going to be out of the market for most or all subdivisions in the Charleston area.

Thanks!
~Barb
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,875,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomziIIa View Post
Our house is on the market and we are wanting to relocate to Charleston, SC when it sells.

I've been looking at HOA covenants and generally they list (2) pets. I have 2 miniature dashchunds and my 83 year old Mother who lives with us has a small toy fox terrier. (All are mostly inside dogs and we are extremely responsible - cleaning up after our pets, obedience trained, etc.)

This puts us over the limit. Does anyone know if there are any cases where special consideration is given based on size? Paying extra in HOA fees?

Otherwise we are going to be out of the market for most or all subdivisions in the Charleston area.

Thanks!
~Barb
Most of those covenants are meant to deter people from keeping kennels-worth of animals in their backyards.

I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY that a neighbor would have an issue with your one extra lap dog.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 7,614,312 times
Same here

Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,214,878 times
All is takes is one neighbor or more likely -one neighborhood busy body to make a complaint- then you will be asked to get your pet limit down to two.
They could also fine you daily for every day you are over the limit. Don't pay your fines, they can also move to foreclose. And it's highly unlikely they would make an exception for you. No reason to- if they make one for you then they have to do the same for all others.

Keep looking - not everywhere is a HOA. HOA's are fine if you like them, but they are not for everybody.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 15,676,256 times
If it is in the rules of the HOA they can enforce it, plain as that, so as others have said it only takes one or two neighbors who don't like you or your dog and wam you have an issue...

Old 06-09-2012, 02:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,832,176 times
Not that I would be interested in an HOA, but does it really limit you to "two pets"? I mean, that's awfully vague. What if you have a bird, a tank of fish and a dog? Or 2 cats and a dog? Could you claim, "Oh, i thought you meant two KINDS of pets!"?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:04 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,227,156 times
I would NEVER live in a neighborhood where a HOA would tell me how I could live........

Cant you just find somewhere else to live,,,,like you want.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM

33,700 posts, read 16,131,227 times
Not all HOA's limit pets or have a limit of 2 pets. You would have to read the covenants of each HOA you are interested in living in.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 AM

662 posts, read 1,267,154 times
The HOA where I live doesn't have a pet limitation. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. You'll have plenty of places to choose from.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,375,109 times
Two pets seems like a very restrictive rule, so I would be very worried about moving into that HOA even if they did make an exception. What else are they restricting? The only pet restrictions I saw in any of the HOAs we looked into possibly moving into we're the standard clean up after variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area