Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You don't know what you are missing when you leave out the fat. LOL. It makes them so much better.
Collards without some bacon fat......boringggggggggg.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
We just relocated to Charleston (Mt Pleasant) from Washington DC after our friends moved here and we visited several times.

It's a great place to live but the cost of living is turning out to be higher than expected.

PROS
We love the people. Very friendly. Very clean. Lots of farmers markets and pick you own fruit and veggies! Downtown is awesome. Endless restaurants. Lots of shops. Crime is very low in Mt Pleasant. Beaches are right down the road. Nice park$. Plenty of gyms. Harris Teeter. Trader Joe. Everything you need is right here. Great place to raise kids.

CON$
This is a tourist town and you are paying tourist prices. Movie tickets, food prices, parking enforcement. You do start to feel gauged. We were caught off guard by the high taxes too: Sales tax is 8.5%, Restaurant tax is 10%! Personal property taxes are high. State income taxes another 6% or so. Traffic gets backed up fast and often. Lots of road work. Bugs! Humid. Can't buy wine on Sunday.

Although this is a nice place to live you better make good money.

Last edited by juggernaut; 08-13-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 PM

69 posts, read 178,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
No wine sales on Sunday.
You sure about that? I buy wine every day of the week.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsoman View Post
Same here...

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
juggernaut: Do you mean it's higher than what you had in D.C. (which would surprise me...) or do you mean higher than you thought it would be??

but the cost of living is turning out to be higher than expected.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsoman View Post
I think it's only liquor that you can't buy on Sundays. Beer and wine are sold everyday and can be sold at the grocery store.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM

214 posts, read 325,667 times
Thanks for all of the responses everyone! Driving back north was so depressing lol...the further we got, the more congested and miserable it became. We weren't even out of Virginia yet before someone yelled at me for no good reason

As far as the cost of living goes...it looks like it's very comparable to where we live right now (Syracuse), but having grown up in a ridiculously high cost area where families require 2 or 3 incomes to survive (Long Island) it seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially considering what we would be getting for our money. We don't have a very good feel for how much jobs pay compared to our region though, which is a factor. My husband is an Electrical Engineer, currently working for a defense contractor. We're assuming that salaries in his field will be somewhat comparable as well (assuming the defense contractors recruit talent from all over the country).

I'm used to 8% sales tax, I've never known anything different. Certainly welcoming the humidity over having to shovel feet of snow off of my roof...blah! I saw the rush hour traffic that I've heard so much about on this forum, and I guess I'm desensitized to traffic as well because I honestly didn't think it was bad at all. When I would drive through NYC, I would bring movies with me to watch because on more than one occasion I got stuck sitting in it for hours on end. As far as alcohol is concerned, I was so happy to see that you could buy wine in a grocery store! No place is perfect, and considering the beauty of this place, I'm very honestly surprised that it doesn't cost even more to live there. I will admit though, the one thing that has me kind of sort of terrified is the palmetto bugs. I think I have an irrational fear of them, and it's literally the one thing that could ever keep me out of the south. I don't really like cats, but I heard that they like to catch the palmetto bugs, so if there's even an ounce of truth to that, I'm getting a cat!

Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
katie...Believe me, the palmetto bugs are nothing to be afraid of or worried about. Oh, and BTW...we have a cat and she just ignores them.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady katie View Post
Thanks for all of the responses everyone! Driving back north was so depressing lol...the further we got, the more congested and miserable it became. We weren't even out of Virginia yet before someone yelled at me for no good reason

As far as the cost of living goes...it looks like it's very comparable to where we live right now (Syracuse), but having grown up in a ridiculously high cost area where families require 2 or 3 incomes to survive (Long Island) it seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially considering what we would be getting for our money. We don't have a very good feel for how much jobs pay compared to our region though, which is a factor. My husband is an Electrical Engineer, currently working for a defense contractor. We're assuming that salaries in his field will be somewhat comparable as well (assuming the defense contractors recruit talent from all over the country).

I'm used to 8% sales tax, I've never known anything different. Certainly welcoming the humidity over having to shovel feet of snow off of my roof...blah! I saw the rush hour traffic that I've heard so much about on this forum, and I guess I'm desensitized to traffic as well because I honestly didn't think it was bad at all. When I would drive through NYC, I would bring movies with me to watch because on more than one occasion I got stuck sitting in it for hours on end. As far as alcohol is concerned, I was so happy to see that you could buy wine in a grocery store! No place is perfect, and considering the beauty of this place, I'm very honestly surprised that it doesn't cost even more to live there. I will admit though, the one thing that has me kind of sort of terrified is the palmetto bugs. I think I have an irrational fear of them, and it's literally the one thing that could ever keep me out of the south. I don't really like cats, but I heard that they like to catch the palmetto bugs, so if there's even an ounce of truth to that, I'm getting a cat!
Plenty of work for him here. Lots of defense contractors. Shouldn't be a problem. I have a contact who works down here that also came from a Syracuse defense contractor, if you need one. Let me know and I can PM it to you.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:15 PM

214 posts, read 325,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Plenty of work for him here. Lots of defense contractors. Shouldn't be a problem. I have a contact who works down here that also came from a Syracuse defense contractor, if you need one. Let me know and I can PM it to you.
That's great to hear Yes, I would greatly appreciate it if you could PM me that info. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area