Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 PM

214 posts, read 325,553 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...I was on here about a month ago asking a few questions about the area before my husband and I (and 1 year old baby) came to check it out in person. We're seriously thinking about relocating from NY to one of the Carolina's. I'm happy to report that we absolutely loved Charleston! I was getting nervous because we stopped in Wilmington and Myrtle Beach first, and while they were nice to visit...we knew that we wouldn't want to live there. We took into consideration the advice and opinions that everyone on here gave us and made sure to look at the residential areas in Summerville, West Ashley, Mount Pleasant, James Island and Downtown Charleston, and found that we absolutely loved Mount Pleasant. I was kind of surprised by this because I was expecting it to be more congested (especially with the construction), but I was happily surprised to see that all of the shops and stores are tucked away in the tree's. I loved that! We found that we liked the Isle of Palms beach more than Folly Beach (although both are awesome), and we loved being able to drive over the bridge to the downtown area in just a few minutes. Not to mention, if we move there, I think I'll live at Sesame Burgers & Beer The water at the beach was so warm and the sand was beautiful. My husband mentioned how "sparkly" it is, and I told him that's because we're in heaven lol. We also loved downtown. I couldn't walk more than a few feet without feeling like I had to take a photo of something completely awesome (yes, I was that person). I can't say that I'm not experiencing a little bit of culture shock, but in a good way. I've heard that people in the south are friendly, but I honestly had NO idea that people could be thisfriendly! It was so refreshing, and partially restored my faith in humanity lol. I loved the fact that there were actually different country radio stations to choose from. And by the way, I didn't find the drivers in the south to be very different from the majority of the drivers in New York State (not including the metropolitan area). Aside from all that, I have to ask...what on earth is a "collared green"? Oh, while we were there, we also went to "Perfectly Franks" because it was on the food network lol...and the Lost Dog Cafe, because it got good reviews on Urban Spoon. Both were pretty good, especially considering how cheap they are. Nice atmospheres. We also got a slice of pizza at two different places and were shocked to find that it's comparable to NYC pizza. It's actually the best pizza I've had in years (since moving to upstate NY - away from the "good pizza" area). So that was a nice surprise.

So we pretty much decided that unless we can find a place that we love more than Charleston that has work for my hubby (he's an engineer), we're going to move to Mount Pleasant as soon as we can sell our house and land him a job! We're looking to rent something cheap (cheap for the area) (so we can pay off some student loan debt)...and I saw that Wando East townhouses are pretty cheap (for the area). Does anyone know anything about them? Are there any other cheap places around?

Thanks so much for all of your help so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 07:14 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Come on down. You will love living here.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,534 times
So glad to hear you love it! We moved from New England to Wilmington and after 9 months decided Wilmington was not going to be home for us. We moved here, to Daniel Island, and LOVE it. You will too! Mt. Pleasant is great. Downtown Charleston is great. The food, the nightlife, etc etc. We were at the Isle of Palms beach 2 days ago and were swimming with a family of dolphins swimming by. Beautiful.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady katie View Post
Aside from all that, I have to ask...what on earth is a "collared green"?
LOL! It's a staple veggie of the South. The Wikipedia entry is pretty accurate:
Collard greens are various loose-leafed cultivars of Brassica oleracea (Acephala Group), the same species as cabbage and broccoli...

Collard greens are a staple vegetable of Southern U.S. cuisine. They are often prepared with other similar green leaf vegetables, such as kale, turnip greens, spinach, and mustard greens in "mixed greens". They are generally eaten year-round in the South. Typical seasonings when cooking collards can consist of smoked and salted meats (ham hocks, smoked turkey drumsticks, pork neckbones, fatback or other fatty meat), diced onions, vinegar, salt, and black, white, or crushed red pepper. Traditionally, collards are eaten on New Year's Day, along with black-eyed peas or field peas and cornbread, to ensure wealth in the coming year, as the leaves resemble folding money. Cornbread is used to soak up the "pot liquor", a nutrient-rich collard broth.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,895 times
I love your excitement. I smiled as I read your post. We've been in the charleston area a year and enjoy it greatly.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,567 times
Collard greens are very good if they are cooked right. I learned to love them once I had some at Poogan's Porch. I have also learned to love mustard greens. I haven't had it cooked, but it is great on sandwiches instead of having lettuce.

Wando East is a great place to live. It is very quiet and is in a convenient location. There is actually Wando East Townhouses, and Wando East Townhomes. They are owned by different people. The management for Wando East Townhouses (Wando East Townhouses | Apartment Rentals | Mount Pleasant, SC) is great. I don't know about the management for Wando East Townhomes. I just know it is managed by AMCS, which I am pretty sure is the same people that manage Anchorage Apartments.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
lady katie,
I had the same enthusiasm when I came to visit too! It is a wonderful and unique place. I think you will love living here. No place is perfect, but this is as close as perfect can be!!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 AM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times
Hi Katie,

Thought to chime in and pass on my posting.

We were in similar situation living in NYC and living in Upstate NY as well !

Did quite a lot of research, as well as a lot of contacts here on city-data which proved tremendous help.

Came down myself for a look see one year.
Came back following year with the Mrs and lil son.
Moved the following year and been here just over 1 year now.

It is still a total WIN-WIN situation (do not expect anything to change from that) we all appreciate this area more and more each and every day.

Here is my posting if it helps ya ?

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ving-south.htm

Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,017 times
I love hearing about transplants loving it here. I am one too, from Connecticut a long time ago! I also have grown to love collards but I don't use any "fat" that is customary here. They're also good mixed with diced tomatoes.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
I love hearing about transplants loving it here. I am one too, from Connecticut a long time ago! I also have grown to love collards but I don't use any "fat" that is customary here. They're also good mixed with diced tomatoes.

You don't know what you are missing when you leave out the fat. LOL. It makes them so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area