Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times

Advertisements

Look , school should start after Labor day. There is no way kids are tired of the summer and beach! School sucks and it is a dread to return after the cool summer !! You know all of us in the South and North used to go to school after Labor day! It is just plain uncool to have to go school when it is still summer! It is like Summer school!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Look , school should start after Labor day. There is no way kids are tired of the summer and beach! School sucks and it is a dread to return after the cool summer !! You know all of us in the South and North used to go to school after Labor day! It is just plain uncool to have to go school when it is still summer! It is like Summer school!!!!!!!
But that's a ridiculous argument for southern states where summer is not just 2 months like in New Hampshire or Alaska, but the major portion of the year! I know the kids in Ohio go back next week!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Whether or not you take the first 12 weeks or the last 12 weeks of summer it doesn't matter -- it all adds up to 12 weeks of summer.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Teenagers are going to smoke dope and drink. Doesn't matter if school is in session or not. If memory serves I got into more trouble during school than during summer break.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be that all surprised to walk past a group of teenagers at night and discover they had been hitting a joint.
I wasn't surprised they were doing it, I was more surprised they were being so blatant about it. It was still daylight out and there were kids (little kids with their parents) around.

When I used to do it, we'd go to someone's house but then again, I always hung out with older people. When I was 17, my friends were mostly in their 20's.

The drinking doesn't bother me as much as the broken glass where people walk, kids and animals play etc.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,327,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
OleTom -- what a great idea. May consider that. Since becoming US citizens we have not done the Washington DC tour.

Most schools for 'spring break'. Here it usually falls during the first week of april. This year it was really late and only about a month before they got out of school for summer.
It really is a great place to visit but I would never want to live there. Fair warning while all of the national museums are free the food and lodging is very expensive, The Williard is about $350.00/night it is a Holiday Inn hotel so we use points to stay there.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:02 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
The date got progressively earlier for a few years. When I started school it was on August 25. Then for a few years here they moved the beginning of school to the second Monday in August.

It's weird for our area as James Island and Wando play a regular season football game against each other this Saturday night at James Island at 7.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 AM

The one thing that drives me crazy when school is in session are the school buses. I don't know how close together your bus stops are down there, but where I live, there's one main road through town and the bus seems to stop every 50'! If you plan on getting anywhere by 9:00 AM or 4:00 PM, you have to add at least 15 minutes to your travel time for the dang buses!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
It really is a great place to visit but I would never want to live there. Fair warning while all of the national museums are free the food and lodging is very expensive, The Williard is about $350.00/night it is a Holiday Inn hotel so we use points to stay there.
Yes I've heard how expensive hotels/restaurants are.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
The one thing that drives me crazy when school is in session are the school buses. I don't know how close together your bus stops are down there, but where I live, there's one main road through town and the bus seems to stop every 50'! If you plan on getting anywhere by 9:00 AM or 4:00 PM, you have to add at least 15 minutes to your travel time for the dang buses!
It's about the same here, especially out in the country.

Imagine this.

Modular homes (trailers) separated by wooded areas about 100 feet long. There is plenty of non wooded area to safely walk from one yard to the next and they are close enough that you can see the next yard.

The bus stops in front of each house. I assume they do it every weekday morning that isn't a holiday/teacher workday etc. but I mostly notice it when I am running late.

What I don't understand is if the bus is in front of me and the kids are getting on from the right and there is no one on the left, why can't I pass?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
What I don't understand is if the bus is in front of me and the kids are getting on from the right and there is no one on the left, why can't I pass?
I suppose because a child could be crossing the road to catch or exit the bus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area