Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times

Advertisements

So, we live in surburbia and we're having a raccoon problem. It's a big fat one that comes into our garage through the cat door, presumably looking for the cat food. It's also now torn up the screen on our screen porch. I have one outdoor cat. Now, since I don't live in the country anymore, just shooting the vermin isn't a possibility anymore (I think the HOA would FREAK!). So, what do you do in a situation like this when you live in the middle of the burbs?

I know there's those traps but I think that would likely result in trapping my own darn cat every night. He's a sweet, not all together super bright animal. Meanwhile, I've got this destructive pest that I can't shoot. What are my other options? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
can you keep the cat in for a night or 2 while you trap the raccoon?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
can you keep the cat in for a night or 2 while you trap the raccoon?
I was thinking about doing that. Then we go make sure it goes to coon heaven after that.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
yes ick. I hope it doesn't give your cat rabies.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:58 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times
Step 1: Cat into garage and close off cat door so cat can't leave garage.

Step 2: "Have a heart" trap baited with cat food next to cat door outside garage. Racoons LOVE cat food and the animal is used to coming there to eat.

Unless Einstein and Houdini came back as racoons and had a youngin, you should have this critter trapped on night 1. Call animal control to come get it.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Step 1: Cat into garage and close off cat door so cat can't leave garage.

Step 2: "Have a heart" trap baited with cat food next to cat door outside garage. Racoons LOVE cat food and the animal is used to coming there to eat.

Unless Einstein and Houdini came back as racoons and had a youngin, you should have this critter trapped on night 1. Call animal control to come get it.
Do I really have to bother with animal control? I guess I could. I just the hubby out to get a trap. This should prove interesting to see what he comes back with. He tends to overkill these things!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Do I really have to bother with animal control? I guess I could. I just the hubby out to get a trap. This should prove interesting to see what he comes back with. He tends to overkill these things!
Animal control will be able to "dispose" of it properly. You don't want to:

release it too close to your house because it will just come back

poison the bait in case one of the other neighborhood cats/dogs gets in it.

I SUPPOSE you could take it out to the country and shoot it or something but why bother if Animal Control will come get it?

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
I used an apple to trap one in my attic. I ran wire throughit and tied it to the trap. You have to take them at least ten miles away to free them or they will come back. The one I trapped was trying to set up a nest (for the second year in a row) I gave it to a guy who who wanted a coon skin cap.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Animal control will be able to "dispose" of it properly. You don't want to:

release it too close to your house because it will just come back

poison the bait in case one of the other neighborhood cats/dogs gets in it.

I SUPPOSE you could take it out to the country and shoot it or something but why bother if Animal Control will come get it?
If animal control worked on the weekend, I would be inclined to have them take care of it. They only work M-F 7-5. This is a pretty new thing (just second night) but we know how coons can be and want to nip this in the bud right away.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,942,156 times
Crossbow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area