Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM

139 posts, read 375,934 times

Advertisements

Advice on a lawsuit imposed by an HOA?

I have some questions as to residents rights. PM is fine too.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM

183 posts, read 356,719 times
Any more details? I'm not an attorney but I work at a firm that does construction law.

Any advice you get from an attorney will most likely be "get an attorney." They are usually wary of giving legal advice.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
DJ is our resident real estate attorney on here, but I am not sure he will give you much advice other than get an attorney.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 PM

74 posts, read 150,226 times
Any legal advice should be obtained from an attorney who specializes in whatever issue you are having and they should reside in the state you live in.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times
Ok serious response time.

For those who saw my previous post and to the mod who deleted it, sorry, it's my birthday (seriously) and I'm feeling a little punchy.

Anyway.

As has been said, if you need real advice, you need to talk to a real lawyer for real. That means in person or at least on the phone. Lawyers.com is an attorney referral service that may point you in the right direction or you could DM your troubles to DJ and see if he is willing to speak with you in person about your situation.

I doubt any attorney would be willing to provide much in the way of free advice over an internet forum for two reasons. First, they can bill for it if they do it in their office or even over the phone. Second, liability. If you go to court and say DJ told you whatever, he is liable even though he isn't ACTUALLY your lawyer.

Onto part two of my serious reply.

HOAs can be nasty. Mine isn't. My neighbors are in charge of it and mostly let me do what I want and, as long as no one complains too loudly, don't say anything much. The neighborhood is not ancient but isn't brand new either. The covenants here aren't oppressive and tend to follow city ordinances and don't go much further if at all.

That said, some can make the Downtown Charleston Board of Architectural Review look like the bunch of sweet old ladies they pretend to be.

Here is what I have seen with HOA's personally and through friends:
  • Generally, they won't complain to you for their health. Someone complained to them about you already and they are relaying the message.
  • They almost always give you a chance to correct whatever you are doing before they escalate.
  • The first step is almost always one of your neighbors knocking on your door and feigning pleasantness but asking you to do whatever or stop doing whatever they got a complaint about.
  • If you ignore step 1, step 2 is a written request.
  • Depending on the infraction, they may eventually hire someone to fix it for you and then bill you for it.
  • If you don't pay, they will put a lien against your house and they can do that.
  • It is possible to fight HOAs in court but they are people just like you, they have better things to do than waste their time and yours so if it goes that far, they have their stuff together and WILL have a case built so make sure you do as well.
My advice? Open the yellow pages and call a lawyer if you really think you need one but read through the covenants first. Make sure you aren't in the wrong.

I'm not a lawyer but if you want to DM me your situation for an uninterested (I don't have a dog in the race so I don't care who wins) opinion, I'd be happy to give you one.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
I couldn't have said it better myself. I would always recommend giving an attorney a call or going in for a consult on your specific situation. There are plenty of local attorneys who handle litigation with HOA's that could likely assist you, depending on your situation. I'm a real estate closing attorney. I handle real estate contracts, closings, mortgages and refinances. Completely different legal creature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Ok serious response time.

For those who saw my previous post and to the mod who deleted it, sorry, it's my birthday (seriously) and I'm feeling a little punchy.

Anyway.

As has been said, if you need real advice, you need to talk to a real lawyer for real. That means in person or at least on the phone. Lawyers.com is an attorney referral service that may point you in the right direction or you could DM your troubles to DJ and see if he is willing to speak with you in person about your situation.

I doubt any attorney would be willing to provide much in the way of free advice over an internet forum for two reasons. First, they can bill for it if they do it in their office or even over the phone. Second, liability. If you go to court and say DJ told you whatever, he is liable even though he isn't ACTUALLY your lawyer.

Onto part two of my serious reply.

HOAs can be nasty. Mine isn't. My neighbors are in charge of it and mostly let me do what I want and, as long as no one complains too loudly, don't say anything much. The neighborhood is not ancient but isn't brand new either. The covenants here aren't oppressive and tend to follow city ordinances and don't go much further if at all.

That said, some can make the Downtown Charleston Board of Architectural Review look like the bunch of sweet old ladies they pretend to be.

Here is what I have seen with HOA's personally and through friends:
  • Generally, they won't complain to you for their health. Someone complained to them about you already and they are relaying the message.
  • They almost always give you a chance to correct whatever you are doing before they escalate.
  • The first step is almost always one of your neighbors knocking on your door and feigning pleasantness but asking you to do whatever or stop doing whatever they got a complaint about.
  • If you ignore step 1, step 2 is a written request.
  • Depending on the infraction, they may eventually hire someone to fix it for you and then bill you for it.
  • If you don't pay, they will put a lien against your house and they can do that.
  • It is possible to fight HOAs in court but they are people just like you, they have better things to do than waste their time and yours so if it goes that far, they have their stuff together and WILL have a case built so make sure you do as well.
My advice? Open the yellow pages and call a lawyer if you really think you need one but read through the covenants first. Make sure you aren't in the wrong.

I'm not a lawyer but if you want to DM me your situation for an uninterested (I don't have a dog in the race so I don't care who wins) opinion, I'd be happy to give you one.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times
Happy Birthday, Tech!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Happy Birthday, Tech!!!
I love that you picked up on that! Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,490 times

Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 AM
JGR

32 posts, read 75,498 times
I HATE HOAs...they are the WORST! We had a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE with the Ocean Neighbor's HOA. God help anyone who lives in that neighborhood. I wish the HOAs did not have so much power in SC. It seems strange...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area