Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. Im a 22 year old male and im looking to move out of michigan and start working towards a new life. I do not have a car and I only have about 2grand. This is my only chance to really move away. Im looking for information about if there is a lot of competition for jobs(im hoping i dont have to work at burger king), if theres is even a decent job market, and if the cost of living is out of control. I have been looking into california because i have an aunt that lives out there but it looks like she wont be able to help me with a place to stay anymore. Bottom line is... how will a young motivated 22 year old with $2,000 make it out in charleston sc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Maybe if you find a cheap room for rent you could find a job quick.... Like this

looking for chill roommate, private bed/bath, pool, etc - UTL INCLUDED

Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,543 times
Best advice I can give is find a job first. Good luck with that though. It's tough to get a job if you aren't here and it's tough to do interview trips on $2,000.

Second best advice is to save up a bigger wad to fall back on while you look for work here.

Failing that, move here now. Find a dirt cheap room in a house like what Robynn said. Hit the bricks daily.

What are your skills? What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
I went through almost $10k in the four months I was unemployed while looking for work, there are jobs out there and a young man starting out has alot more room to wiggle than an old guy like me with bills out the wazoo....

An inexpensive vehicle will be a necessity since you can not count on public transit and we are not a densly located city type place...

Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
Not sure Charleston is the place to move without first securing a job and a car. The area is pretty expensive to live. To be without a car, you'll need to walk to work. Finding affordable housing will be a challenge.

Do you have other family in other parts of the country? Do you have a college degree? What type of job are you looking for? Don't laugh, but have you thought about going into OTR trucking?

Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Not trying to burst any bubbles here but the best thing would be to get a job there in Michigan. Save some money, get a good car, and have something to add to your resume. Once you have some money saved, start sending out those resumes and then, and only then, move down here. Even an extra year up in Michigan will not make a huge difference in the bigger picture of your life.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 PM

167 posts, read 315,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Not trying to burst any bubbles here but the best thing would be to get a job there in Michigan. Save some money, get a good car, and have something to add to your resume. Once you have some money saved, start sending out those resumes and then, and only then, move down here. Even an extra year up in Michigan will not make a huge difference in the bigger picture of your life.

Great advice.

I have to ask why you feel this is the only chance you have to really move away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area