Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,756 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking of relocating to either Charleston or Savannah. I will be working remotely from home as I am able to keep my job. Will have to form new friendships etc so meeting people and being able to connect with people easily will be important. Since I will work remotely I would like to be close to a shopping district where I can walk to a cafe to get a cup of coffee and read the paper, etc. so I do not want to live in a large sub division. Last criteria would be that I would prefer a small home with little lot or a townhouse. I am coming to charleston in October. I've already checked out Savannah, but I definitely want to check out Charleston. It would be nice to have some suggestions on areas before my trip so I can plan things out. Oh!! How could I forget?! I LOVE the beach and the thought of being able to pick up and be on the sand in 20 minutes is ideal...don't thin I could afford to live on Sullivan's Island or Folley. Would like to stay around $200k. Thanks. Any suggestions are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,146 times
Townhouse in Seaside Farms?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM

2,527 posts, read 7,990,492 times
Yes/Condo in Long Grove inside of Seaside Farms. Puts you within walking distance to shops, restaurants, boutiques, biking distance to IOP, and biking distance to Towne Center. Very social area, plenty to do, and well inside of your price range.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 AM

528 posts, read 1,507,659 times
There are 3 townhouses in Seaside Farms under $179,000
There is 1 in Snee Farm under $150,000
All in Mt. Pleasant.Good all around choice .
Foster

Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,958,499 times
Personally, I think that Savannah better fits the OP's criteria unless she can afford to live downtown.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,642 times
I am curious as well but in a very pet friendly area with cool grooming shops. Also a nice place for rentals ads I will be starting anew.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM

2,527 posts, read 7,990,492 times
Same advice as above. Seaside Farms, Belle Hall area or lower Mount Pleasant would all work well. West Ashley would put you a bit farther from the beach, but staying around areas like Avondale, Mooreland, Windermere and Byrnes Down would still work.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM

259 posts, read 451,392 times
If you are looking original urban walkability the closest equivalent would be S.Windermere,Avondale,Byrnes Downes.

Faux urban walkability would be Seaside Farms or Daniel Island

Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM

35 posts, read 97,597 times
Driftaway - you seem very knowledgable. that whole area is confusing to me. Lots of chain stores in a strip mall configuration. Yes its walkable, and the landscaping is outstanding. But it looks like it all was built in the last five years. and ten years from now (the normal length held before sale) the whole area could look very dated. No soul. No community. Just super sales stores everywhere. Many like the mall lifestyle, but still seems like it could get very consumer afflient only.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 PM

259 posts, read 451,392 times
lol, you are right now that i think about S.Windermere its not urban but is one of the oldest centers in SC. i really do enjoy how it was developed, most of the stores on Windermere are local. The sidewalk is great and benches are comfortable. The whole center is super popular busy everyday and the crowd is diverse and more liberal than most places in town because of Earthfare and yoga.I think they have the best Starbucks
because it has a great local scene.

SW has always been a fave hangout of mine and its eminently walkable from residential windermere/byrnes/avondale. Know lots of folks who love walking to Earthfare etc, I still miss the indie movie theatre housing Outfitters today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area