Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM
JGR JGR started this thread

32 posts, read 75,462 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move back to Charleston from Lake Norman. (We lived in Charleston for 11 years)...I am a CofC graduate. I am pretty familiar with all areas--lived downtown and on James Island. My husband lived on Sullivan's when I met him (but that was 20 years ago). We now have three small children 3,6,8 yrs. and schools are our main consideration. (our schools at Lake Norman are mediocre at best-so we are homeschooling which is common in the Charlotte area)...

I have not visited Daniel Island but, hear that the k-8 school on the Island is great ( I would not consider Bishop England as an option for us). There are plans for a new middle and high school if the bond passes in Nov. --so that is another issue and by the time they were in middle school I hope there would be another school (my oldest is in 2nd grade now).

What are the schools like for Sullivan's Island? I cannot seem to find anyone who is well informed on this. For many reasons we would prefer public schools - but, what would our private options be for Sullivan's if public was not ideal? ( I would be willing to pay for private if it was MUCH better)...I just don't know the details. Any realtor I talk to does not give me a complete answer.

We want an island community, boating, swimming, friends. The planned community of Daniel Island kind of scares me a little bit--but, people seem to like it. Sullivan's might be more (organic and not as planned??) of a way of life that I would enjoy but, I keep thinking about my kids and want them to have the best situation with schools and friends, swimteam etc. I think I would like Sullivan's better but, just not sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by JGR; 08-26-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Sullivan Island schools are -- Sullivan Island Elementary, Moultrie Middle & Wando. All great schools. There is some controversy over the plans to build a new elementary school on Sullivan's Island. The residents aren't happy with the size. It is way bigger than they feel necessary. The school board policy is not to build any elementary school smaller than a certain size. The residents feel that the size of the building will negatively impact their community. For now Sullivan Island Elementary is located on Rifle Range in the old Whitesides elementary school.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Will they build the school on Sullivan's or will it just stay in limbo?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,160 times
We moved to Daniel Island a few months ago and absolutely love it. Both islands have completely different feels to them. We love DI for many reasons but mostly because the kids love it here so much. I've got one in Kindergarten and one in 7th grade. It truly is "the place" that your kids will head out (obviously not our youngest) in the morning and say "see ya at dinner.".. They are off on their bikes for hours going to friends houses, the community pools or the amazing playgrounds. The facilities provided to the residents (pools, playgrounds, etc) are top notch. They bike to/from school as well (I ride with my youngest). It is pretty much the most family friendly place/community I have ever been to. Concerts on the water Friday nights, etc. Its all about the children here.

Sorry, I can't help you with you're question about Sullivan's Island schools. Yes, I too am hoping that they build the middle school/high here soon but if not, my kids have the choice of Hanahan High come 9th grade, or Bishop England. I don't know enough about Hanahan High to comment one way or the other, but I have met adults who went there and/or their children went there and they only speak highly of it.

My oldest came from small private schools (Waldorf and Friends School) and so far loves the DI School.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Thank you for the insight into DI life. I had a feeling it was great for kids. If it were just my husband and myself I think we would head to Sullivan's. That said...it is all about our kids right now. I just read your post to my 8 year old and she cheered out loud! She said..."let's move RIGHT NOW". I am excited...thank you!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR View Post
Thank you for the insight into DI life. I had a feeling it was great for kids. If it were just my husband and myself I think we would head to Sullivan's. That said...it is all about our kids right now. I just read your post to my 8 year old and she cheered out loud! She said..."let's move RIGHT NOW". I am excited...thank you!
It's funny you said that because we had the opportunity to move down south last August 2011 (from NE..we jumped on it). We made a very last minute decision and narrowed it down to Davidson NC or Wilmington NC (we could go anywhere as long as it was in the south). Low and behold none of us were happy with our decision of Wilmington but we, as parents, did not want to put the kids through that again so vowed not to even mention another move. We came for a Valentines Day weekend to Charleston. We fell in love with everywhere we went and my heart was breaking inside knowing that we made the wrong decision. We pulled onto Daniel Island and my oldest daughter said "Mom, this is supposed to be home." I can't tell you how beyond excited we ALL were when we decided it would be a done deal.

Your kids will be so happy here. So will you! It's magical.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:04 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
If I had the opportunity, I'd never pass up moving to Sullivan's Island. I go there quite a bit and have never seen an unhappy kid wondering around. LOL

Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
If I had the opportunity, I'd never pass up moving to Sullivan's Island. I go there quite a bit and have never seen an unhappy kid wondering around. LOL
I agree. It's that island upbringing that's hard to quantify. For the locals, it's a pretty tight knit community. It's the beach, the fishing, the boating, the quiet and the slow pace. Every SI kid I ever knew was pretty happy. Ever want to know the best places to fish near SI, ask a local kid.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Like I said, DI and Sullivans Island have completely different feels about them. I am sure many people would think that DI is not for them..Sullivans Island just isn't for me. I had a friend come visit who is a single mom with an older daughter in High School. She's focusing her move on Sullivans Island. To each his own.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,164 times
I'd choose Sullivan's...but you should know pretty quick which one is for you after you visit both
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area