Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times

Advertisements

This is what she sent,,,,

Passing this along:
Everyone in Charleston please READ THIS. There is a woman (possibly European) who is going door to door "selling children's books" and asking about which homes have kids living there. She is asking for children's names and ages. She was seen the Wescott...area for the last 2 or 3 days. She knows WAY more than she should. She is allegedly involved in child abduction! Please do NOT allow her into your home (has been reported she tries to step in without being invited) . She was just at a my neighbor's home on Thursday and knew all the kids names and ages in the cul-de-sac. The N.Chas Police have been called and they stopped and questioned her, but no arrest was made. She has a permit to sell books, [but has no business asking about our children]. I just wanted everyone to be aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 PM

183 posts, read 356,719 times
I heard someone on a nationally syndicated radio show make a joke about this, but did not know what it referred to. Just did a quick search for news like this and found a Facebook post from a news source in Canada but no story.

Regardless, this is interesting if it's some viral news story that got loose on the web, and frightening if there is now a ring of European booksellers dealing in children across North America.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
A 'woman' fitting your description stopped by our house in MtP last week. She was maybe in her early 20s. She did not ask to go into our house, though I did ask her to walk from the front door to the garage door as it had started raining and the sidewalk area in front was a pond.

She knew the neighbors names because she asks you what your neighbors names are so when she talks to them she says "I was just talking to your neighbor Joe and his children Sue and Jack and they thought your kids Mike and Ann would be interested in these books, let me show you." It's an ice breaker technique for sales. The books are around $140 for a set. I didn't buy, some of my neighbors did. She was from Estonia and claims to be here on a work exchange and typically work 80 hours a week. I can't get my daughter to put her plate in the dishwasher.

Here is a link I found from '05 and again in 2011 about the company and the sales people from overseas:
USATODAY.com - Students selling books door-to-door deliver global flavor
Students earn money selling educational books - Spokesman.com - Aug. 4, 2011

Here is the company link: Southwestern Advantage Internship - Basic Info
And here is the books she was selling: Explore and Learn

So, whoever told you this information, please correct them. I believe the girl is working hard enough.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,673 times
Even if the story isn't true (about potential child abducting) it's always a good reminder to be safe.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,853 times
We had that girl come to our home a few days ago. We are in Park West. She is in her 20's from Estonia and asked A LOT of questions about our children... well child and then our neighbors children. A LOT of questions. Did not attempt to come into the home, did not attempt to look around from the front door.

I agree with an earlier posting... it is simply marketing, good marketing strategy once turned down by us.. to ask about neighbors kids and who should she ring the bell of. She seems to map it all out. But same as a car salesman, real estate agent etc. asking about other people you know who might be interested.

My wife did notice same girl a day or two later biking around Park West.

About child abduction I do not think so.
Almost 80-90% or so of homes here have kids... why ask around and be visible.
If you want to abduct... almost pick any home.
Or sorry to say.... abduct right from the street walking from school, playground etc. as happens.
Not hang around someone's house in a car waiting... any parked car outside homes here we see if not one of our neighbors look suspicious and at least concerns me especially if someone is sitting in it waiting.

Interested to hear from others now and the 'progress' of this girl now.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 PM

482 posts, read 845,308 times
This same girl was in Hamlin Plantation about a week ago. She creeped my wife out. She came back the next day and we didn't answer the door.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
It was on the radio this morning...

Old 08-28-2012, 10:22 PM

183 posts, read 356,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
It was on the radio this morning...
I'm glad you said that, I was starting to think I had imagined that. But I can't actually remember if it was a local show or not.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
No door to door sales people for me, as my dad used to say, "If they don't sell in downtown, I don't need it"

Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,347 times
Default Not a child abduction based on selling children's books

I was watching the NBC local news, Count on 2, at 5am this morning. They did a piece on the door to door sales girl, with a European accent, going around local neighborhoods selling children's books. Due to the questions she was asking, it concerned parents it might be a child abduction ring.

They interviewed the woman. She is a married law student from Estonia, which is in Europe. She is a door to door sales woman who sells children's books as a summer job. The book company apparently recruits college age students, from around the world, to sell their children's books.

Basically, the news crew researched and said the company is a real book company and the girl has not done anything wrong.

Just thought I'd post this for any parents who might be concerned. I hope this helps put your mind at ease though we all should be weary I'm sure of anyone asking about our children. I think that is totally understandable.

Maybe the actual news piece will replay later today, or post in the newspaper or on their website, one can hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area