Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,589 times

Advertisements

Good day to all. I hear so many different things about the weather from people. I have decided to place a forum asking a question . I know there are many informative people reading this post. How long dose the Humility last also is it a problem year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:04 AM

246 posts, read 517,829 times
The humidity is here all year, but is only uncomfortable in the hotter months. Let's face it, we are in an area of the country surrounded by a warm ocean and many wetlands (they don't call it the Lowcountry for nuthin') and of course, there is more moisture in the air than more arid areas.

Most of the year is delightful. I watch the dew point more than the thermometer. When the dew point gets above 70 most people start to feel the humidity. Mid 70's to 80 dew point with a high temperature is downright miserable. Fortunately, we don't have a great many of those days.

On the miserable days, we adjust our outdoor time. Only a moron would decide to exercise at high noon with a heat index over 100. One may be able to do that in Arizona and be fine, the body can cool with a very low dew point, perspiration evaporates. Here, even athletes can get into trouble because the high moisture in the air prevents evaporation and overheating results. Tried to tell my brother in law that once...

I would say the humidity is a problem from mid June to Mid September, and probably at its very worst mid July to mid August. However, everything is air conditioned so it's really not a huge problem in our daily lives.

Not much different from being in the north in the dead of winter. Really, how much time do people spend outdoors in colder climates in December, January and February? Personally, I spend much more time outdoors here than I did while living in New England.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,299,719 times
Kathy that was one of the best explanations of the humidity I have read in a long time....

Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,589 times
I was 100% correct in posting here. WOW your response were not only very helpful but was text book.

Yes I also agree about not going out during winter. I do have to disagree I would add NOV to the list up north .

Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 AM

167 posts, read 314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Kathy that was one of the best explanations of the humidity I have read in a long time....

I agree.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM

870 posts, read 1,984,039 times
Kathy said it as well as it can be said but to put it another way...

It seems there have been a lot of questions lately that have warranted a response similar to this from me. Almost enough that I want to put it in my signature (not being sarcastic at all)

Almost everything East and or South of I-95 in South Carolina is swampland. It is either actively swampland or has been "reclaimed" for use as whatever (residential, commercial, etc). That's why it floods, that's why we can't have basements for the most part, that's why we have gators, bugs, lizards, frogs, etc.

To answer the humidity question, even the "dry land" is wet when compared to other parts of the country.

Adding to the already wet land here, we have a big honkin' ocean right next door. The mid Atlantic is warm and pleasant to swim in when compared to the Pacific. I was visiting my dear old Grandpa in LA when I was 12 and we went to the beach. I got about waist deep in the Pacific in August and said "**********" because the water was about 30 degrees too cold for me.

The mid Atlantic also churns out hurricanes which are fueled by warm water. They either go north or south. If they go north, even if they don't hit us directly, they dump a lot of that warm water on us. If they go south, they throw warm water from the gulf of Mexico at us in the form of rain (any one remember last week?).

Coastal South Carolina has what is commonly known as a sub tropical climate. It doesn't get as hot or as humid as one would expect in a tropical paradise but it does get pretty warm here and there is a lot of water near the surface ready to evaporate.

Kathy is right, humidity can make all the difference. There have been days when I went to walk my dog and expected a sauna but it was ok despite high temperatures because the humidity was relatively low. Other days with lower temperatures and higher humidity and or no wind were unbearable and the walks were mercifully short.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM

246 posts, read 517,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Thanks!

I hate to admit this, but I'm sort of a weather geek. I drive my husband crazy during hurricane season!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 AM

662 posts, read 1,408,628 times
Kathy, you must be a hurricane charter!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 28,206 times
Great answer Kathy

Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,640,247 times
Kathy taught me much. I some times think it's like bathing in your sweat, but I love it.
Go above I-95 and it's an oven in the summer and it's colder in the winter, below 95 we get the ocean breeze in the summer and it's warmer in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area