Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,177,298 times

Advertisements

What is it that she likes about Atlanta?

When I read your post, I thought of Savannah.....a compromise of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,442,562 times
Having lived in both places (lived in Atlanta for 10 years...), I can tell you that Atlanta has much more of a "big city" feel than Charleston does. In the "charming" category, Charleston beats Atlanta hands down. Another huge difference, of course, is that Atlanta is quite a distance from the water and Charleston is not. Just depends on what you two want and are looking for.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Lived in Atlanta area for 13 years. Now live in Mt. Pleasant.

Atlanta is a bigger city. Shopping, concerts, sports, clubs -- all on a bigger city scale...not a Toronto, Chicago, New York or Boston scale but way bigger than Charleston.

No ocean in Atlanta.

Atlanta has Suburban sprawl. We lived in the burbs. That would be about 25 miles outside of the city. Those communities are well serviced with shops, restaurants, etc. If I was a younger person I would opt to live closer to the city.

We can't tell from your post what kind of lifestyle you both enjoy. Charleston and Atlanta are kind of like............apples and oranges and it is difficult to compare them.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 PM

870 posts, read 1,675,470 times
Don't forget the carriage rides..will give her a good "flavor" of charleston. Go to the beach at Sullivans Island (which is beautiful) and then drinks at Poe's (can't miss it..it's right there). THEN you can take Robynn's suggestion (after a little liquid courage) and head over to the Plantation!

There are so many beautiful plantations around...take her to one and she won't want to ever leave Charleston!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,586,044 times
I agree with a carriage ride. Also walk around in Charleston. Go to the waterfront park and look for dolphins and walk to the battery from there. Definitely go to one of the beaches. If you are around Mount Pleasant, take her to Shem Creek, Pitt Street Bridge (I just found this today and it is beautiful there), and Mount Pleasant Waterfront Memorial Park. Maybe you could rent kayaks at Shem Creek for an afternoon or rent or take a stand up paddle board lesson. Make sure to look for dolphins when you are at any place with water. If you go to Shem Creek when the shrimp boats are coming in you will see dolphins.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 AM

3,588 posts, read 4,333,497 times
As others have posted it really depends on the lifestyle you want to have. Atlanta has that big city feel with professional sports, somewhat centrally located in the South and has the central hub for air traffic. With that you get lots of urban sprawl and the headaches that come with navigating the space.

Charleston is... Charleston is still very much the southern city by the sea. And, the people who live here really want to keep it that way. You'll notice the activities that people are pointing out in this thread aren't really 'metropolitan'. Things here tend to still be very genteel. Life seems to be more socially oriented. With that said though, life downtown has a different flavor than Mt. Pleasant which is slightly different than John's Island. In Charleston, it really is the people you know, the relationships you build, and the circles you move in.

Charleston tends to be a more liberal city than most in SC. Some of that is probably due to it being closer to the ocean with several colleges in the area. Some may also be due to the really large amount of transplants from other areas of the country.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:57 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,268,814 times
It's only a 4 hour drive between the 2 (so I hear) so whichever one you choose, you'll be close enough to visit the other fairly easily.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 AM

547 posts, read 1,194,315 times
take her to the farmers market, get a crepe, stroll down meeting street toward the battery, hit Sullivan's later that afternoon and eat at either hit Poe's or Home Team BBQ, then backtrack over to Red's to get a bucket of beer and watch all the paddle boarders float by as well as families of dolphins. Done deal...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:01 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,299,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
It's only a 4 hour drive between the 2 (so I hear) so whichever one you choose, you'll be close enough to visit the other fairly easily.
Robin, what are you driving that you can make it from Charleston to Atlanta in 4 hours?

I drive fast and it takes me almost 4.5 hours from Summerville...

Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,268,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Robin, what are you driving that you can make it from Charleston to Atlanta in 4 hours?

I drive fast and it takes me almost 4.5 hours from Summerville...
delorean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area