Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
but I believe that you can have an informal cerimony with a Catholic Priest if that is desired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Catholic wedding without communion is perfectly fine.
Pretty close...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM

870 posts, read 1,986,891 times
Quote:
Pretty close...
Horseshoes and hand grenades Tom...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,137 times
Quote:
Catholics require that you are both Catholic to get married in a traditional cerimony, but I believe that you can have an informal cerimony with a Catholic Priest if that is desired. I has nothing to do with the Race of the people getting married it is about your religion. Catholics believe that if the two people are so different that they do not believe in the same god that they will have many other problems in their marriage, so since the Catholics also do not believe in divorce they want people to be as compatable as possible. This is really exagerated in the movie with Robin William, he plays the priest....

Most other denominations will do about the same it all depends on how strick their rules are on interdenominational marriage...
I think I agree with this in that they are two different religions, not different denominations or races.
I think in the Episcopal church, this maynot be possible (not abosautly sure), but you're talking about different Gods now and there laies the Problem. I'm pretty sure the R.C. church feels the same.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 PM

417 posts, read 432,921 times
hmm thanks for the input people...we are quite open to some church counselling and marital counselling is helpful and maybe church services are not as expensive as conventional marital counselling. It does help to learn better skills at communication and understanding acceptance and tolerance more so with the cultural differences in being able to communicate effectively beyond the different cultural contexts...ways of life, world views etc. It has been pretty incredible though and there is pretty deep love and commitment. It would certainly help to be able to communicate better and meet each others needs better. I did want us to be blessed in a Church too.
We are not in a hurry though and started looking around for something that fits our needs. Pre marriage counselling may/may not be valid for us depending upon the fact that we are already married legally. Counselling is still something we are open to and seek occasionally for solidifying our bond and having a healthy relationship.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
Funny someone brought up Father (now Msgnr.) Chet. I grew up in a church he took over from an older priest during a building/parish attendance boom. He had no problem marrying two non-catholics (happened often in a SC town simply due to the demographics.) But he did strongly, strongly suggest it not be a wedding Mass since 1/2 may or may not be participating and it was sure to make one of the families feel excluded. Now I don't know if that is his current stance since Summerville is more religiously diverse than my home town where the inter-religious marraige was very likely to be between a transplanted Catholic and a native Southern Baptist whose families each viewed the other with suspicion.

Also two of my friends got married at the Unitarian Church on Archdale. It is a very accepting congrgation/church to say the least. In their case it was actually a concession to them not being very religious but both having very devout parents. So it checked off the 'church wedding' box and allowed a minister to be involved without them putting on a face of having a marraige dedicated to/based in religion which they felt would be dishonest.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Very interesting. Originally from Ontario Canada where Catholicism is very popular and we couldn't find a Catholic priest to marry us because we had been living together for three years before we got married. That was 28 years ago, maybe they are more liberal now.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,302 times
It can be done.

I am non-catholic, but did attend a catholic highschool. My wife was catholic, and we had a full mass wedding.
Even though I knew the catholic religion decently after 4 years of theology classes. I still had to go through pre-cana and even do overnight weekend retreats, to be married in a catholic church. It was good stuff, don't care what people say to bash religion.

Also don't joke around and check the box of "feel uncomfortable being naked in front of your spouse" (it was a joke, I have no shame around my wife). Either way someone later will look very very very uncomfortable as they will try to have a conversation to address the issue. I never see a guy look so relieved when I said I checked it as a joke.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Sorry, that MAY have come off a bit harsh.

I just find it mildly ironic that people who feel they are different assume they will be discriminated against or persecuted by the locals because of those differences and don't see the irony/hypocrisy in their prejudgement of the locals.

"I'm black and my boyfriend is white, will we be accepted?" comes across as "Will you redneck a$# hicks be able to wrap your heads around it being the 21st century and not light crosses on fire in our yard?" Especially when it comes from someone who has NEVER been to South Carolina. It gets old...very old.
LOL I have almost made a post about this exact thing. I am new to SC but it seems like you see more people being prejudice against people from sc, then SC to others.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
I married my catholic husband (me a Hindu) in court and we wanted to have a church ceremony too.
Which would be a liberal church to let us have a sweet simple blessing and ritual without raising too many eyebrows in the summerville area?
No eyebrow raising here. Good for you and mazel tov.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM

417 posts, read 432,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
No eyebrow raising here. Good for you and mazel tov.
thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area