Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 PM

12 posts, read 74,102 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a civilian job at Charleston AFB and am preparing to relocate. I've never been to Charleston before. Do you have any suggestions for suburbs that would be conviniently located to Charleston AFB?

I'm 25 so I'm not looking to buy a house just yet. Working for the military I tend to move around quite a bit so renting is fine with me. I'd like a two bedroom apartment. But it's not absolutely necessary since it's just me and I don't have a husband, kids or pets. Ideally I'd like to find something $700.00 or less a month. Right now I'm paying $500.00 for a two bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood in Mississippi but I know that wouldn't be realistic in Charleston. I'll enjoy it now while I can!

I'm use to driving 20 miles to work since a lot of time bases aren't located near neighborhoods. Or I've also noticed a lot of times neighborhoods close to base can be questionable. If I didn't have to drive 20 miles to work everyday that would be great. But if it's not possible, I'm already use to a commute.

I like going out on the town on weekends. But during the week I tend to stay in. So it's not important to me to be in a lively community downtown. While city nightlife is alright, my interests tend to be more outdoorsy with things such as fishing, kayaking and hiking. So I'd actually prefer being in a less populated area.

Do you have any suggestions on places to rent? And do you think $700.00 (or less) for a two bedroom apartment is reasonable or should I get a one bedroom instead? I like my two bedroom apartment just fine, but I wish I had less stuff to move all the way to Charleston!

Thanks for your help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Truly, learn from my & so many others' experience: move with less. Really, just get rid of it if you don't LOVE it. It costs (in many ways) to move "stuff."

Old 09-30-2012, 05:32 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
Why don't you start go google North Charleston apartments. Find a few you might be interested in and then ask on this forum. There are ok parts of North Charleston and parts to stay away from.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
There's a couple apartment complexes in wescott plantation. I don't know prices or specifics but they look nice from the outside and wescott is a nice area with lots of military

Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,083 times
There are plenty of safe apartments for single and non-pet owners. I don't have any suggestions but I think not having kids or pets makes it very easy for you. The nice thing about the Charleston area is that there are lots of housing options. You won't get stuck not finding an apartment that fits you well. $700 might be kind of tight budget but I'm not sure.

I think you should visit and get some ideas of places that feel good to you and then ask us. My husband stayed in the Wescott Plantation apartments and he enjoyed them. You'll be able to get a place within 5-10 miles without feeling like you are on top of the base. Each town has less desirable neighborhoods so don't assume a certain town means a safe apartment and vice versa. You will have plenty of safe and reasonable options.

I'm not much help, am I? lol. I just wanted to reassure you, I guess.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM

314 posts, read 439,844 times
I know a few of the Boeing people like it in Cedar Grove. It is up Dorchester Road and would take you like 5-10 minutes to get to the base. there are other apartments across the street I believe it is called the legends at Charleston Park, and there are apartments in Wescot Plantation that are newer.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM

160 posts, read 311,616 times
Check out the Ladson area. There are many newer apartment complexes on HWY 78 & Ladson road. Hubby works at Boeing and takes Palmetto Commerce Parkway to work. It saves him time and gas. It is about 15 min.drive.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:03 AM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahcat View Post
Check out the Ladson area. There are many newer apartment complexes on HWY 78 & Ladson road. Hubby works at Boeing and takes Palmetto Commerce Parkway to work. It saves him time and gas. It is about 15 min.drive.
This

It's the quickest way to the base and only has a stoplight at each end. Compared to Dorchester Rd it's a dream.

Mississippi, so take it you're coming from Keesler Jen?

You're correct, as with most bases the area around the base is not ideal. Not a soul I work with lives less than 10 mins from the base. As for apartments check around Summerville/Ladson area as someone above me mentioned. That's where we advise our new airmen to look as well. I'll shoot you a message with some links for apartments. I've been stationed here 4 years now, so I can help you out with any other questions you may have as well.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Palmetto Commerce Parkway is a nice road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area