Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,337,758 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving into the area (at the latest, in May) and were wondering what were the best complexes (2 BR minimum) for townhomes/apartments.

We're probably going to rent for at least a year before looking into the housing market. That should give us enough time to plan for the best school district. For now, we're looking for a safe neighborhood (Mt. P, DI, WA, Summerville) but nice upkeep. We currently spend $1500 for a 3 BR townhome in Western NY, so similar or lower would be nice.

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM

103 posts, read 218,800 times
First and foremost, congrats on making the decision to move to the Charleston area! We recently went through this exact same process (re-locating from Atlanta, GA) and found this city-data forum to be extremely helpful. A very kind participant on here is actually how we found out about Wando East Townhomes in Mount Pleasant. We are moving in, in just a few weeks and found the whole process to be very easy without any crazy hassle there sometimes can be. Coming from Atlanta, our rent was very close to what you currently pay in NY, and loved the fact that Wando East has spacious townhomes (the one we are renting is a 3-bedroom and is only $1010/mo.)

The location is amazing because you are literally one stop light from Towne Centre mall (lots of great shopping, restaurants, movie theatre, etc) 4 miles to the beach (Isle of Palms) and just 15 minutes to historic downtown Charleston. When we first made the trip from Atlanta to view the complex we weren't wow'ed by the complex (it is an older townhome community built in the 80's without new upgrades/appliances etc) but found that it has everything we need in regards to community-feel, safety, and central location as we are in the same boat as you (looking to buy after our 1st or 2nd year of living here). If you want something pristine and new(er) you may also like Daniel Island (although this island is more isolated from the others). You will definitely pay the DI prices though (this area is definitely more 'Stepford').

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,377,916 times
Good luck with the move....

There are plenty of rentals, homes even, less than $1K/month here in Summerville. Go to Realtor.com and use there rental lookup tool, us the zip code 29483....

Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,120,270 times
One that comes to mind right away is Kilnsea Village off Dorchester Rd near Ladson Rd.

http://www.kilnseavillage-apts.com/

Gated apartment community and it's BRAND NEW. Nice amenities including pool, summer kitchen, gym etc etc. And there's a lot of ETC .. lol 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units for $800 - $1200 I think.

Might also look at Ingleside Plantation Apartments (although I'm not sure how many units they have available) it's been open for a few years but it, too, is gated and very nice with plenty of amenities. 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units for $800 - $1400.

http://www.inglesideplantationapts.com/

Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM

Wow thanks for the recommendations!

A friend commented to me that brick should be avoided due to their instability in storms...sounds crazy to me. Anything to that?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,979,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Wow thanks for the recommendations!

A friend commented to me that brick should be avoided due to their instability in storms...sounds crazy to me. Anything to that?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
A few things to ponder...

You have more to worry about in terms of earthquake stability with brick than you do stability in storms.

Well built brick homes typically fair better in hurricanes than wood frame construction.

Many brick homes are wood frame with brick facade/veneer...check into this if it is of importance.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
A few things to ponder...

You have more to worry about in terms of earthquake stability with brick than you do stability in storms.

Well built brick homes typically fair better in hurricanes than wood frame construction.

Many brick homes are wood frame with brick facade/veneer...check into this if it is of importance.
ajpond, is this something you could answer?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,059,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
One that comes to mind right away is Kilnsea Village off Dorchester Rd near Ladson Rd.

Kilnsea Village Apts Apartment Rentals

Gated apartment community and it's BRAND NEW. Nice amenities including pool, summer kitchen, gym etc etc. And there's a lot of ETC .. lol 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units for $800 - $1200 I think.

Might also look at Ingleside Plantation Apartments (although I'm not sure how many units they have available) it's been open for a few years but it, too, is gated and very nice with plenty of amenities. 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units for $800 - $1400.

North Charleston Apartments | Ingleside Plantation in North Charleston, SC 29456
We're close friends with a couple who lives at Ingleside. I'm partial toward West Ashley/MtP/Charleston because I like to be close to the action, but if I moved to the Ladson area, Ingleside would probably be one of my top picks. They have a nice apartment (much more storage than us), the gated feature is nice, and it's close to I-26 which gets you all over the Charleston area.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Wow, even in the first email to the folks at Wando East, they are extremely nice...

Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM

Just reached out to Wando East, Riverside, and a few townhome rentals in MtP. Wando didn't know quite yet, as we are aiming for either 4/1 or 5/1.

Also reached out to Kilnsea Village and Ingleside because they are just plain beautiful. A bit far away from MtP and Daniel, but wonderful backups if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area