Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,020,316 times

Advertisements

We are very interested in both these developments, both by Mungo Homes who we have read has a great reputation, not only locally, but nationally for building a good product.

The development on James Island has not started (that I am aware) and is one of the only developments we have found that offers new homes. Although I've read some posts about the HOA at ON being rather harsh. Frankly, I'd rather have harsh than non-existant.

The Cottages at Johns Island (not the same as the Villages in St. Johns Woods) is Phase II. Phase I completed 63 homes, I think,this will be 23. Really cute homes, great value here.

The homes in Ocean Neighbors are more expensive, larger, different style and will all be on the lake (?). The sales agent at Mungo told me that they are more expensive due to location - proximity to Folly (3 miles) and that there are a lot of high end homes around here.

Wondering if anyone - realtors in particular - can give info. as to the area of each. The Cottages is almost at the intersection of Maybank and River Rd, and Ocean Neighbors is in that development on (?off) Old Military Rd.

We're still looking in MP, but frankly, given our price point of 250K, as well as our desire to have a new home, I'm thinking this may be the way to go. We are much more laid back people, and prefer to stay out of the hustle and bustle, which is why we liked (loved) Daniel Island, but we can't afford it.

We're coming down in March and meeting with our realtor and will tour both areas among others. Just wanted some additional feedback before we come. We owe a great deal to the person on this board who pointed these two developments out.

We can't seem to get a clear picture of Johns Island and James Island and the differences, one vs the other. We don't have kids (this will be our retirement forever home) so schools are not important. If we go this route, I also will not need to work outside the home (I have an online business) although I may want to do something PT at a hospital.

Amenities, "feel" of each place, etc. is what we need to decipher, although ultimately price will dictate.

We kind of like the idea of being equidistant to Folly/Kiawah with Johns Island, and although some people have called it "Trumanesque" we like the looks of Freshfields Village, so think we would like being closer to that.

Would appreciate comments with regard either to these 2 developments, or Johns/Jame Island in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM

No one????

Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM

142 posts, read 270,654 times
I'm looking at the same areas. The Mungo homes within Ocean Neighbors must be in a different flood zone as they are not elevated like the other homes there.

Any input would be great.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Ocean Neighbors homes are elevated? I looked at the development via Google Earth and none of the streets I looked at had elevated houses.

Any realtors on this board care to comment on the flood zones in either location?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM

142 posts, read 270,654 times
All of the ones I saw are on stilts, garages are underneath, A/C units are elevated as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 AM

662 posts, read 1,412,932 times
You indicated you already have a realtor. He/She should be able to provide you with any information you want.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,683,012 times
I have some friends that bought a Mungo home in the Columbia area. They say Mungo builds a good value for your dollar house. Many Mungo home buyers are first time buyers making the largest purchase of their life so most problems arise from those expecting a $300K house for $200K, not from Mungo.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,968,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We're still looking in MP, but frankly, given our price point of 250K, as well as our desire to have a new home, I'm thinking this may be the way to go. We are much more laid back people, and prefer to stay out of the hustle and bustle, which is why we liked (loved) Daniel Island, but we can't afford it.
Your realtor is doing you a disservice if he/she isn't finding you new homes in MtPleasant at your $250k price point.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 AM

Not easy to find new at 250k in "South" MP (South of IOP Connector).

Asked opinions about these developments & JI & Johns Island pros & cons because wanted more than my realtors view. I'm not understanding the response. Because I have a realtor that's not something I should be asking other people??

Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,968,443 times
Ok. You didn't specify a particular part of MtP. I do have to ask why you only want to look at S. Mount Pleasant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area