Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,344,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29483 View Post
If you're going to the Angel Oak (I bring everyone there, and it's FREE) you may want to go a few miles more down the road to The Charleston Tea Plantation.

Pretty neat, the ONLY tea plantation in the United States. There is a gift shop, and tasting areas. Then you can tour the processing area, (15 MINUTES) where there is a filmed program of the history of tea in the area and an explanation of how the tea leaves are processed. There is a glassed wall where you can see the process. If you go during the time that they are cutting the tea, you can actually see it being processed.

There also is a tram ride through the plantation for $10, but really isn't necessary...looks like you're riding through a bunch of hedges and you can learn almost as much inside at the FREE factory tour!

Only takes 45 minutes or so, and I guarantee you'll learn something!
And while you are out there in the middle of nowhere stop by the http://www.charlestonwine.com/index.php and Firefly Distillery (they are the same place)

ps: that didn't come out right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 AM

602 posts, read 1,517,645 times
OleTomCat--I like to refer to Firefly as "the vodka farm"

I second -The "vodka farm" (be sure to have a designated driver; even the small samples pack a punch); the tea plantation; and Angel Oak. If you're driving all the way out here, head over to Cherry Point and pick up fresh shrimp off the boat.

There's always kayaking (our family loves "kayaking with Ralph http://www.kayakcharleston.net/); horseback riding out on Seabrook (http://www.discoverseabrook.com/eque...ions.php)--you don't have to be staying on SBI to get into the equestrian center.

Another favorite of ours is the Firemen's Museum located near Tanger Outlet Mall. I'm not sure who had more fun--me or my kiddos.

**Public safety announcement**--Please be careful driving out to John's Island, Wadmalaw, etc. This are two-lane tree-lined country roads. Folks tend to drive too fast and follow too closely ( some locals and some not from around here). There is an accident at least once a week.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,384 times
Cypress Gardens will have you walking & paddling among alligators ... the rowboats are included in the admissions price.
$10 adult & $5 under 12

Cypress Gardens, South Carolina

Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM

662 posts, read 1,412,339 times
Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM

246 posts, read 519,152 times
And if you're out Moncks Corner way...you may want to go to Old Santee Canal Park.

Nice walking paths that wind around the old plantation, through marshes and woodlands. You'll see waterfowl, and other wildlife. There is a museum and plantation house and more. A nice history lesson.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,943,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy29483 View Post
And if you're out Moncks Corner way...you may want to go to Old Santee Canal Park.

Nice walking paths that wind around the old plantation, through marshes and woodlands. You'll see waterfowl, and other wildlife. There is a museum and plantation house and more. A nice history lesson.
We were there today, an impressive display. The Cooper is pretty clear up that way too.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,344,326 times
Check out Mepkin Abbey while you are in Moncks Corner also...

Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM

43 posts, read 66,131 times
One of our favorite things to do is just bike the beach on Sullivan's starting at Fort Moultrie. Check the tide reports and go at low tide, the sand is packed and easy to ride and it's simply beautiful and relaxing. There is no swimming on that side of the beach so it's never busy until you get up by the lighthouse. If you don't feel like bringing bikes, you can rent them from Mike's Bikes in Mt. Pleasant. Once you work up an appetite head over to Poe's or High Tymes and relax for a bit.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 PM

817 posts, read 2,005,943 times
These are some great replies and suggestions !!

Terrific idea for a post, thank you !

We have been here in Chas for 2 years almost and do not want to do the touristy things... not that anything is wrong with them.. but we have a car and know our way around as opposed to a tourist... so want to get off the beaten track

(Same thing we did in NYC while living there)

Loved the suggestions of such places and want to go... thanks

Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
These are some great replies and suggestions !!

Terrific idea for a post, thank you !

We have been here in Chas for 2 years almost and do not want to do the touristy things... not that anything is wrong with them.. but we have a car and know our way around as opposed to a tourist... so want to get off the beaten track

(Same thing we did in NYC while living there)

Loved the suggestions of such places and want to go... thanks
I'm the complete opposite. I have been here almost 2 years and I am a HUGE tourist still! Although you don't care for touristy things, you really should check out Magnolia Plantation. It is absolutely stunning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area