Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,964,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I would tell you but my wife would shoot me for giving up her secret spot....
You notice I have not given up that info either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,241 times
Haha

Booooooooo

:-)

Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
All I can say is 28.5...

Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM

That's a nice spot...with the pond & all.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,439,733 times
Folly Beach is clearly the better beach...better waves, more active, more to do. It depends what scene you want.
Do you want college age/young adults and and music on the beach and games being played all over the beach - 10 st. East.
Do you want a nice family beach with restrooms, showers, snacks - 3rd St. West
Do you want to ride the waves and be in the surfing atmosphere - Washout (or 10st. East)
Regards,
Coastalbum

Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
The further away you are from the main drags of the beaches.

Honestly though, Saturday afternoon, Sunday afternoon -- there is no 'secret' spot. It's all busy. Parking is crazy.

So when you get to either Isle of Palm, Sullivans Island or Folly Beach -- either make a left or right when you get to the main drag and keep going until you find a parking spot. Pay close attention to all parking signs. Folly Beach is the strictest, tires off the asphalt, do not park in the opposite direction of traffic. Isle of Palm -- 4 ft. off of the asphalt. Most of the time they have chalk marks to let you find it easier. For me Sullivans is always the hardest to find a parking spot. It's a smaller beach, and there isn't much space on the sides of the road.

My son loves Folly for the surf. We usually go to 8th street access there. We live in MP so we usually will take him to IOP tio surf and go up to 32nd Ave. in and around there. Sullivans we either make a right or left once we hit Atlantic Avenue....and drive until we find a parking spot. We've been at both ends and actually found it a little quieter, more secluded but harder to park in around 18th Station. At the other end is usually good too but the last few times we were there last year it was the busiest park of the beach. Not so secret spot.

In the heat of the summer and tourist season, we find we never spend more than 3 hours at the beach -- if that long....and usually go by 10:00 in the morning -- leaving by 1:00 PM. We always miss the madness. I think once or twice we decided last minute to hit the beach in the early afternoon and that's when it was the craziest. After dinner we will scoot over to IOP or Sullilvans....it's always very quiet at either.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM

142 posts, read 270,442 times
28.5 is basically my 2nd home. I kiteboard there probably 75 - 100 days a year, great spot. The only issues we ever have are when people (normally tourists) get drunk and think that they can swim in the inlet and the tidal push gets them. Other than that, it's a great area to sunbathe with shallow water, etc.

Although, hopefully I'm moving closer to Folly soon just to get closer to the water, right now, SI is the closest beach to me at roughly 25 min. So, soon, I'll take Folly and a 5 minute drive, hopefully.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,210 times
I buy a yearly county park pass and just park in the county lot at IOP. The only time I find it to be "crazy" is on holiday weekends. On holiday weekends it will take me 30 minutes from the time I leave my house until I am parked instead of the normal 10 minutes. Where I moved from we would sit in a line of traffic for 1 - 2 hours to get to the beach and park, so I don't even consider the holiday weekends here to be that crazy. We get right in every other weekend. I don't want to deal with driving around looking for a free spot. We go to the beach every weekend when it is warm, so I like the convenience. To me, this is the best spot.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,241 times
How much is the county park pass?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM

$65 for residents...$15-$20 more for those not residing in the county.

It's a great deal if you go to the parks. We don't normally do the parks and typically don't have much issue finding parking on the beaches at the times we go. Therefore we don't spend that money...free is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area